Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

what's the story with him? Is he tame or just cheeky?

A family of them have moved into our building on Harcourt St. They're very cheeky. One of them even ventured up onto the 2nd floor to take a crap one morning. They've eaten the ducks that used to live in the pond and now they're keeping the area rodent-free.
    I must bring a proper camera in some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Yep a Sony Nex5 with a Nikon adaptor and Sigma 10/20mm Lens. Its a pain to carry out on the bike but worth it sometimes! Love this thread, some really fantastic pics, ideas for pics, and places to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Yep a Sony Nex5 with a Nikon adaptor and Sigma 10/20mm Lens. Its a pain to carry out on the bike but worth it sometimes! Love this thread, some really fantastic pics, ideas for pics, and places to go
    Ah yes, I already asked you what camera when you had all the panoramas! I'm not very informed on the technical terms etc of photography, but there is something very distinctive about the photo's you post - is a setting on the camera or some photoshop tweaking?

Finally back out on the bike tomorrow after over a month off it, hopefully I can add some more photo's to this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Fairycastle on the top of Ticknock yesterday. About 5 meters visibility and torrential rain. Amazingly good fun:

01102011241.jpg

176666.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

China-Vietnam border

176719.JPG
    176720.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

@Blorg
    That's some tour you're on !
    Where are you off to next, Staying in Asia or going Australasia/America's?

RobFowl wrote: »
    @Blorg
    That's some tour you're on !
    Where are you off to next, Staying in Asia or going Australasia/America's?
    Current plan is to cycle to East Timor, fly to Darwin, cycle to Sydney and if I am still enjoying it, may as well cycle around the world.

sX6Mws.jpg gYqqSs.jpg Gnk99s.jpg gFY75s.jpg u93w6s.jpg cwPVGs.jpg 4dZxOs.jpg w8P0gs.jpg c44UAs.jpg

jhMBks.jpg ZGXsRs.jpg XKBtXs.jpg ap1CXs.jpg c5Bu4s.jpg gdkW6s.jpg Ufa85s.jpg MEkBRs.jpg 51KFps.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

blorg wrote: »
    cwPVGs.jpg

Poor cow!
    jhMBks.jpg

I suppose after 15 months travelling you really don't care who you get to feel up....:D

Seriously though, fair play dude and keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great photos blorg, thanks for posting. Love the bird cages. By the way whats up on your odometer

sy wrote: »
    Great photos blorg, thanks for posting. Love the bird cages. By the way whats up on your odometer
    14,363km

Loving the wackiness of some of those photos Blorg.
    Also liking the bird cages!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

By the way Blorg, are you keeping a regular diary on-line of your travels? It's probably been linked in another thread, but I haven't seen it so far. I enjoyed your journal of cycling dublin-istanbul.

BillieBob wrote: »
    By the way Blorg, are you keeping a regular diary on-line of your travels? It's probably been linked in another thread, but I haven't seen it so far. I enjoyed your journal of cycling dublin-istanbul.
    I have been keeping a periodic journal/notes but nothing online. I mean to write it up at some point in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have been keeping a periodic journal/notes but nothing online. I mean to write it up at some point in the next few months.

You look significantly better fed in those photos than in you Istanbul ones. I dont mean that as an insult, just that you looked very very thin on the European leg, and you look stronger now. I hope you are enjoying the culinary delights of Asia.
    Enjoy Australia when you get there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...may as well cycle around the world.

Chapeau!:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

BillieBob wrote: »

+1. Awesome. Looks like the second part is shaping up well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

Too much beautiful scenery around here, thought I'd add a bit of blood and sweat into the equation. Winters coming anyway..straight from the forest floor
    IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2956.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

ZGXsR.jpg

Blorg,

Is this the Dwarf Village in China? It was shown on the TV series An Idiot Abroad 2 the other night. I take it the fella dressed in yellow is the king.

Great photos and I'm insanely jealous. There was me thinking I was great cycling around Wales for a week in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hey Blorg, I see your green bug and raise you an 'armored ground cricket'. At the time we didn't realise it was harmless and spent about 10 minutes trying to build up the courage to poke it off the bike with a stick in case it got angry and ate us. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

mmclo wrote: »
    Reminds me of this great album cover and great album
    running.gif

Vélo wrote: »
    Is this the Dwarf Village in China? It was shown on the TV series An Idiot Abroad 2 the other night. I take it the fella dressed in yellow is the king.
    Yes, I imagine it is the same. The guy in yellow is the king. They say they are the largest "dwarf kingdom" in the world although this being China I imagine there could be others. It is just south of Kunming in Yunnan province. Some think it is a bit exploitative but on the other hand it gives these dwarves something to do... I believe their lives are very hard otherwise. For living in the dwarf village and singing and dancing for tourists I believe they get paid more than a university graduate in the city, never mind a labourer in the countryside.

Chinese tourism is at all times very artificial and manufactured, whether it is ancient sites (largely reconstructed in the last decade), Buddhist monasteries (where the government charges a fortune entry and the monks hawk Buddhist tat like solar powered prayer wheels), natural beauty (complete with cable cars and shuttle buses), or "ancient" ethnic minority villages (constructed in 2008, where 'locals' in traditional costume lead tour groups with a tannoy and charge 10Y for a photo.) This is just how tourism is here, Chinese tourists put no value on 'authenticity' as we do in the west. They slap a (substantial, even by Western standards) entry fee on everything and the tourists expect a value-add. The dwarf village appealed as perhaps taking that the max and giving the quintessential Chinese tourist experience, one very different to the sort of thing we would ever get at home.

The day I was there most of the tourists were a Chinese deaf group, but they seemed to enjoy the singing anyway. The dwarves seemed happy to see me (I don't think they get many foreigners) and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. It didn't seem like a bad life to be honest.

Hey Blorg, I see your green bug and raise you an 'armored ground cricket'. At the time we didn't realise it was harmless and spent about 10 minutes trying to build up the courage to poke it off the bike with a stick in case it got angry and ate us. :P
    Haha that is scary looking. I imagine people would eat that here, rather than the other way around! I found my green bug interesting because it seemed to have evolved to look very like a leaf. Similar deal with the stick insect, which was extremely good at playing at being a stick, it didn't move at all no matter how close I went to it.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    You look significantly better fed in those photos than in you Istanbul ones. I dont mean that as an insult, just that you looked very very thin on the European leg, and you look stronger now. I hope you are enjoying the culinary delights of Asia.
    Enjoy Australia when you get there.
    Yes the food here is fantastic. I was perhaps excessively thin by the time I got to Istanbul but I do feel overweight at the moment and want to shift it. Too much food and not enough cycling will do that for you. I could do with losing 5-6kg I reckon (I am about 9kg over Istanbul weight.) I think it is coming off a bit now I've started back on the bike. My performance on the bike is also awful having cycled so slowly for so long and then not at all for three months. I met some guys a few days after I started in China who had cycled from Belgium pretty much straight through and I was finding it tough to keep up with them any time the road tilted upwards. Would like to get back to the point where I am not phased by any distance/climb and can tackle cycling at a fast pace again. It was a 1,500m+ climb up to where I am now though and I didn't find it too difficult, so getting better.

Beats being shackled to oafs on stag parties I suppose!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

Current plan is to cycle to East Timor, fly to Darwin, cycle to Sydney and if I am still enjoying it, may as well cycle around the world.

wow - amazing, Darwin to Sydney even more amazing especially coming into the Hot season, hope you have a partner or a few or yee cause there is nothing around for hundreds upon hundreds of miles at some stages except kangaroos snakes n crocs :) Amazing though!! Enjoy :)

wow - amazing, Darwin to Sydney even more amazing especially coming into the Hot season, hope you have a partner or a few or yee cause there is nothing around for hundreds upon hundreds of miles at some stages except kangaroos snakes n crocs :) Amazing though!! Enjoy :)
    I currently plan to get to Darwin around March although having talked to a few Australians I might push that out to April, so hopefully getting cooler.

I like Asia a lot so it is no great hardship to delay; I plan to take a few weeks to a month on a side trip to Burma (have to fly in and out but will take the bike if possible.)

I won't go through the middle if it is too hot; it was 40-45C every day for three months in India/Nepal and I ended up with bad heatstroke. Never again. Though looking at climate charts for Alice Springs and Uluru, I think I had it worse in India and arriving in March should be fine.

It will take me at least 2 months and probably 3 to get from Darwin to Sydney. I quite like the deserts I've cycled through so far, the sense of solitude and isolation, although none would have been on the scale of Australia.

I am cycling solo but get on well with myself, I am very good company :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

I am cycling solo but get on well with myself, I am very good company :pac:

like your style
    loving your pics
    safe travels

Advertisement