Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You think you would have felt it?

I'm here all week...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone able to translate old Irish? I must have passed this plaque on the Military Road countless times and only noticed it today.

Something like 'St Kevin's Boys School'??

IMG_1345_zpsnne5yxm8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Anyone able to translate old Irish? I must have passed this plaque on the Military Road countless times and only noticed it today.

Something like 'St Kevin's Boys School'??

IMG_1345_zpsnne5yxm8.jpg

I'll have a proper look at it on a non phone screen later but it looks like it's commemorating the founder of a St Kevin's Boys School who lived from 1859 to 1940. It looks like his name has been chipped off the top though.

P_1 wrote: »
    I'll have a proper look at it on a non phone screen later but it looks like it's commemorating the founder of a St Kevin's Boys School who lived from 1859 to 1940. It looks like his name has been chipped off the top though.
    A bit of Googling found this link to a Reform School at the Military Barracks.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/GlencreeRfy/

I used to think it became a orphanage after the military abandoned it. It's also strange that the plaque is a bit away from Glencree buildings - hence my asumprion it was for something else. (Incidently, when it closed in 1940, the remaining boys were transferred to Daingean Reformatory).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Sun coming up behind Ireland's Eye this morning. A positively balmy 17.5 degrees @ 6:30 this morning!

FFCCD1DD-8F3B-4BC0-91AE-36422ECB858F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Poll Gorm, Easkey, Co. Sligo. Some locals have restored the pool, and put this bike hitch post up. :)

bikehitch_zpsq0z2mwzd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

wccl6u.jpg

Roundstone today about 5 min before the rain arrived. Pleasant spin back to Clifden followed by a circuit of the Sky Road before the drizzle turned into real rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CPDonn

Re: the photo taken on Military Rd

Difficult to make it out from the photo I'd have to see it up close.
    But from what I can see it commemorates a priest who ran St Kevins children's school and dedicated his life for the sake and well-being of the boys.It also refers to others who helped him.

Where exactly is this? I'd like to have a closer look as I cycle the military Rd most weeks.

Cheers.

CPDonn wrote: »
    Where exactly is this? I'd like to have a closer look as I cycle the military Rd most weeks.

Cheers.
    It's just north of the Glencree Centre. If coming from the Dublin direction, after crossing the Featherbeds, the road descends for a bit before a fairly sharp right hand bend at a forest. The plaque is just a little further on the left after the trees end. There is a distinctive wrought iron fence post beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

DYLWEYn.png

I revived my old singlespeed with few new bits, knobbly tires and a thorough cleaning and service. It turned out to be quite pleasant bike to cruise around beaches, parks and pathways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Great pic, just remember sand and chain lube make a good grinding paste so a thorough clean of the drivetrain is needed after the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

P_1 wrote: »

Looks like there was originally a statue on top of the plinth as the wording roughly translates as "This statue of the Good Shepherd was erected in loving memory of the Oblate priests and brothers who devoted their lives for the good of the boys of St.Kevins School. 1859 - 1940"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's just north of the Glencree Centre. If coming from the Dublin direction, after crossing the Featherbeds, the road descends for a bit before a fairly sharp right hand bend at a forest. The plaque is just a little further on the left after the trees end. There is a distinctive wrought iron fence post beside it.

Is this it? Maps doesn't have any good angles for it. Never noticed either myself, but I could see how a statue might fit atop it.

https://goo.gl/maps/BaZX2XFWzUB2

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I picked the wrong day...not to own a mountain bike. Tibradden yesterday.

unnamed_1.jpgforum image hosting

buffalo wrote: »
    Is this it? Maps doesn't have any good angles for it. Never noticed either myself, but I could see how a statue might fit atop it.

https://goo.gl/maps/BaZX2XFWzUB2
    Yup - that's it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

IMG_1117.jpg

out on a spin Sat , went up this mtn/hill btw Ballinakil and Castlecomer
    went up from the Bkill side very rough path track had to walk parts with the road bike, lots of antenae and sats aerials etc
    the descent towards Castlecomer was paved thankfully

can anyone local name it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

IMG_20160914_200812_zpsudytwv85.jpg

Pine Forest, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

IMG_20160903_102552.jpgElderly Bianchi overlooks Aubonne and Lac Leman...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Can I ask all contributors a few questions

Q1: Do you drive to the locations above via Car and then park up and cycle around, or do you cycle to these fabulous locations?

Q2: What cameras do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

tonyheaney wrote: »

Q1: Do you drive to the locations above via Car and then park up and cycle around, or do you cycle to these fabulous locations?

I cycle - but I live quite close to some really nice routes so no need to drive.
    I use my phone for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

A1: Cycle!
    A2: Phone Camera (Samsung S5)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Travel a lot with work so see some unique locations the majority of which I haven't shared on here. I always find the mountain bike finds you in some unique locations.

Camera - S5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Carrickfergus Castle and a few others from a spin up north

20160916_121126_zpsu1fdcmcv.jpg

20160916_125327_zpsniyty7hx.jpg

20160916_125616_zpsbovr518a.jpg

20160916_125620_zpsqhfgxk19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Plastik wrote: »
    IMG_20160914_200812_zpsudytwv85.jpg

Pine Forest, Dublin.

Poxy bike though...😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Few pics from Kenmare, Glencar, Gap of Dunloe today

Full_Size_Render_15.jpg

Full_Size_Render_10.jpg

Full_Size_Render_5.jpg

Full_Size_Render_11.jpg

Full_Size_Render_12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Took a spin out the old Kenmare road yesterday on the winter bike

nyHC2ct.jpg
    mTPQboi.jpg
    9AREIwX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

1254722E-FD67-4070-8B19-9C93EB23624A_zpsznelfow9.jpg

5D39F2C5-6E8B-4D66-9EAE-76C7AF5824C1_zpstscxj9an.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

250uzjt.jpg
    2eevj95.jpg
    24brg3p.jpg
    206n8dx.jpg
    b6aq1f.jpg
    22ciog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

^^^

These photos would make me jealous, but I read your climb report, and really, just... No. Not worth it.

Advertisement