Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

hardCopy wrote: »
    Four punctures in four hours.

Four punctures in four hours is more than bad luck. What types of punctures were they? Are your tyres puncture proof? Are they wide enough? Are they inflated enough?

There's nothing that'll ruin a touring holiday more than a lot of punctures, believe me, I've been there:(.

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Sally gap yesterday

Looks like a complete white-out:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Four punctures in four hours is more than bad luck. What types of punctures were they? Are your tyres puncture proof? Are they wide enough? Are they inflated enough?

There's nothing that'll ruin a touring holiday more than a lot of punctures, believe me, I've been there:(.

They're stock Kendas that came with the bike (Giant Avail 4) the first tube had been patched previously (snakebite) so we thought the patch had come away but the lad in the bike shop found and removed a piece of glass. Second puncture was a very small hole, no glass found in the tyre, nothing catching on the rim. Third was the patch leaking, the fourth was an attempt to patch over the patch, at that stage all we had were the self-adhesive patches as my rubber glue was dried out.

Saturday was a dry-run ahead of our holiday so at least we learned a few tips. Carry spare tubes, check your repair kit regularly (dud pump and dry glue) and get a set of Gatorskins or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I had Kendas before that came with my Giant Defy 4 and found them terrible for punctures. Conti GP 4000s FTW :D

My experience was a few years back when I'd just started cycling. I'd Kenda tyres too but that wasn't the problem. Almost every puncture was a snakebite due to a combination of too thin tyres, carrying panniers, not having a track pump. These were typical photo's taken on my cycle ......
    MoissactoCastlesarrasin004.jpg
    ChateauxandPunctures013.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

Please don't tell the friends of the pavé.

Cantalach suggested I share this here, and he's probably right.

On Saturday last myself and three friends rode 195km of the Paris-Roubaix route. After riding the first 500m of the Arenberg Trench I punctured. As the others were into the sector, they carried on to the end (2.4km), while I repaired the puncture. When I was ready I (of course) had to first return to the start to try to get right through it completely in one go. The lads were waiting for me at the end, as I barrelled onwards. The rain started to fall for me in the final 800m or so, and I had the head down, hands on the drops, turning a 53x14 and concentrating on good form and doing a fine job of pretending I was Tommeke (if I say so myself). I saw the end barrier only as I came on it at the last second; the lads were shouting at me, but I didn't hear them, and I went straight into it at 28kmph, smashing it and somersaulting over the bars, landing on the non-pavé side. Luckily I only picked up some facial grazes and a bit of brusing on one thigh. I will relate that story the rest of my life. It added even more to the experience of riding P-R! Carried on and rode another 140km afterwards (we got lost a LOT looking for the sectors).

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Dear God that's hilarious. I was expecting you to have pixellated your face in that photo.

If the pavé fathers come after me, I'll sue them for damages.

Here's another, from later. My fave sector, only 6s slower than Taylor Phinney's time over the 1.3km sector :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looks like the barrier is quite high what part of the bike took the impact? Obviously not too much damage as you continued on and smashing through the barrier was fortunate. Pretty epic ride there alright, one I'd love to do one day.

I'm not actually sure! I must get out the measuring tape - I'm having the forks checked though. It's possible they weren't impacted.

If it had been a metal barrier the outcome would have been unthinkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

The back of Carton House this morning.

Carton House.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

karlmyson wrote: »
    Please don't tell the friends of the pavé.

i think i just woke the neigbours. Hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

karlmyson wrote: »
    If the pavé fathers come after me, I'll sue them for damages.

Heading over to do the 210k Paris-Roubaix Sportive on June - I can bring a length of 4x2 on your behalf as a piece offering:D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

7119449689_58ca6e1561_b.jpg

7119449807_94591d1469_c.jpg

6973369148_5a2b77bb86_c.jpg

Took the MTB out late this evening to explore the new (walking) trails dublincc have been digging just past the top of stocking lane for the past few months... nice evening apart from my hands being so cold I could hardly operate the camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

7119498869_1e7c4543fc_b.jpg

6973500196_33407632f1_c.jpg

6973514324_27179b093a_b.jpg

A few more, had a new Sony Nex7 out for a test and some cheeky training

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Last week I made an attempt at Mt Leinster again, unfortunately I only made it 1.5km up the 2.6km climb, the...............ahem................weather stopped me !
    ....or it could have been my legs/lungs/body either :pac:

Lovely starting out....

DFA24DD6500F49F6B9D77346D296183E-0000318644-0002839600-00500L-190409C63B214C7482A760F002C88913.jpg

I hear thunder off to my right !

5CF26C2068DD4A67A8438396C924A50D-0000318644-0002839601-00640L-EA43DECEB4384FB49CB599B488F48DD5.jpg

Phew, just got back to the car before all-hell broke loose :)

328C7FE76718472C9FD66B6F6E8FFB8A-0000318644-0002839599-00640L-1491B6C35730487C96AB4D805D352B5F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

View of the Polish border with Russia (from the free side):

203183.jpg

And one welcoming people having just been nabbed for import duty on petrol/ciggies/etc:

203185.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

7136779605_0056ef145e_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nickolson

Signal rabbit, awesome photo ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Nickolson wrote: »
    Signal rabbit, awesome photo ! :)

Agreed. Now he just has to clean his lens/sensor. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

7136779605_0056ef145e_c.jpg

Where's this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

lg123 wrote: »
    Where's this?

Barley Cove - near Crookhaven, in the depths of West Cork.. one of the many hidden gems on this island - about 5 miles from the Mizen

...came to a premature end after 38kms when a puncture hit my back wheel. I had thought that a visit here would have kept me safe but alas, it was not to be so!

203344.jpg

After the puncture, for which I had no spare tubes, etc to repair, I said a small prayer here and sure enough a lift arrived to take me home!

203345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    ...came to a premature end after 38kms when a puncture hit my back wheel. I had thought that a visit here would have kept me safe but alas, it was not to be so!

203344.jpg

After the puncture, for which I had no spare tubes, etc to repair, I said a small prayer here and sure enough a lift arrived to take me home!

203345.jpg
    Bail out early again.
    Fail to prepare...... Prepare to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Haven't been in here in a while, liking monkeyslayers stuff as usual - what you using for the post processing?. Signalrabbits shot of barleycove is really nice too. Pity it's so far from just about everywhere, nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Tut tut, I expected better...

bbolger wrote: »

Tut tut, I expected better...

You want to try and find an open bike shop in never never land during the holiday period! I already busted one tube with the track pump the other day here. If you think it's a good idea to pump a wheel in over 30 degrees, DON'T!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Even through sunglasses, I thought the rapeseed was quite vibrant in colour when the sun came out. Don't know if my phone did it justice or not.

rapeseed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

Even through sunglasses, I thought the rapeseed was quite vibrant in colour when the sun came out. Don't know if my phone did it justice or not.

rapeseed.jpg

what a coincidence
    i took these pictures from the exact same spot outside duleek on wedensday

wiq35s.jpg

1z66v0k.jpg

Advertisement