Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

meercat wrote: »
    descent from loughcrew cairns
    lovely evening for a spin

Is that near Oldcastle in Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Is that near Oldcastle in Meath?

spot on
    side road though
    not the kells-oldcastle road
    signposted loughcrew cairns
    tough clime from loughcrew side
    much easier oldcastle side

spot on
    side road though
    not the kells-oldcastle road
    signposted loughcrew cairns
    tough clime from loughcrew side
    much easier oldcastle side

Are they both not the same side?
    Climbed it as part of the 160km route in the 2010 Tour of Meath.
    It was an absolute $%^& of a climb with 100+ish km already on the legs!
    It was from approximately where you took that pic that I crashed into that ditch on the descent!
    Bringing back memories there!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

this is the tough side
    Hits 22% on that switchback! The Tour of Meath comes up the easier side and down the side you took this photo.

sy wrote: »
    this is the tough side
    Hits 22% on that switchback! The Tour of Meath comes up the easier side and down the side you took this photo.
    Roads marked with yellow arrows recently
    Must be doing it again so
    Hope potholes get filled in on the climb
    Mind that descent(it's fast and tight)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Cycled from Cork to Castlecove and back over the weekend, got some fantastic weather and great scenery along the way. A selection of some of my better shots here:

7287608424_b8cf0708b6.jpg
    Up at Moll's Gap, Carrantuohill and the Reeks in the distance.

7287604106_2767969339.jpg
    7287600048_5311f947bb.jpg
    On the way to Sneem from Moll's Gap.

7287587638_8144225b86.jpg
    Looking down to Derrynane and the Beara Peninsula beyond from Coomakiste.

I took the coast road back to Kenmare from Sneem on Sunday.
    7287568792_9835cce9e2.jpgby eoin88, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I took this the other day while I stopped at the school in Clonalvey. I turned around and about 100 cows were trudging up the road after me. Apparently the Boards.ie jersey scares cows!!!

206947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I took this the other day while I stopped at the school in Clonalvey. I turned around and about 100 cows were trudging up the road after me. Apparently the Boards.ie jersey scares cows!!!

206947.jpg
    looks like one of those John Hind? postcards, just missing a bit of bright red and the farmer chewing a long stem of grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

eoin88 wrote: »
    Cycled from Cork to Castlecove and back over the weekend, got some fantastic weather and great scenery along the way.
    Nice spin man, have all the patches of loose chippings up near molls gap and between Sneem and Castlecove bedded in now? Also - the patches of road near Sneem that had some kinda subsurface-with-mesh-wire, is that covered over now? Could be heading down the ROK myself this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Long hot, dusty pilgrim path between Leon and Astorga
    DSCF5694.jpg

1.5 hour climb to Alto de San Roque.
    DSCF5703.jpg

First camino ascent done, phew!!
    DSCF5708-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1651&pictureid=12980

Sunday Morning : The Upper Mask from the Ferry bridge Between Finny and Clonbur. Joyce Country

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Riders from Comeragh Cycling Club on Port de Boucharo. 41km at 4.3% to the summit at the Spanish border at 2273m.

Comeragh_-Cycling-Club-5300006.jpg

Comeragh_-Cycling-Club-5300004.jpg
    Paul Brett on the French/Spanish border with the Spanish Pyrenees behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

langdang wrote: »
    Nice spin man, have all the patches of loose chippings up near molls gap and between Sneem and Castlecove bedded in now? Also - the patches of road near Sneem that had some kinda subsurface-with-mesh-wire, is that covered over now? Could be heading down the ROK myself this weekend.

Cheers, was the perfect weekend for it. Yeah, I was a little concerned when I came across that section of loose chippings since I was on 23s and had the panniers on as well. Was actually fine once you stuck to the sections that have been bedded down by cars, didn't need to slow down at all. There was another section that felt like I was cycling over those yellow "rumble" strips coming up to junctions, maybe that was the wire-mesh thing you were talking about? Again wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Overall I found the surface pretty decent the whole way, no scary gravel descents or anything like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

eoin88 wrote: »
    There was another section that felt like I was cycling over those yellow "rumble" strips coming up to junctions, maybe that was the wire-mesh thing you were talking about? Again wasn't too much of an inconvenience.
    Yup that's it. Presume they'll have that sorted and bedded in before the ROK. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Lovely Sunday evening outrside Ballybofey, Co Donegal (27/05/12)

came across these artists on my leisure spin today

Pat Holton (Enfield)

2qwzzwi.jpg

jg01v5.jpg

sorry cant credit this artist(he is from Mayo though)

14d1075.jpg

cant credit this artist either(she is from Cavan)

a3o07c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Some shots taken as I climbed up, and at the top of, the Stelvio pass last week. I climbed from the Prato side during a trip from Munich to Lake Garda. I left my back pack at the info office in Prato so only had a small handle bar mounted bag. Incredible climb.

Before things really kick off, the views are still mad:
    207594.jpg

About 6km from the end the crazy wall comes into full view:
    207595.jpg

The summit:
    207596.jpg

Looking back down from the top along the route I took.
    207597.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Gap of Dunloe
    DSCF1460.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

lac-estaing--2.jpg

lac-estaing-.jpg

lac-estaing-6050019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Not a pic but a short video of Saturdays spin :D
    hope this is allowed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Just at the end. Did he lean over the handlebars and hurl like a good hard climb should make you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

t'bear wrote: »
    Just at the end. Did he lean over the handlebars and hurl like a good hard climb should make you do?

Close very close have you being up there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

@velopeloton - are they pictures from your ride or stills from the Sound of Music?:D

Great shots again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Our little mountains look small compared to some pictured on here, just about the right size for me.:p

IMAG0038.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

maloner wrote: »
    Some shots taken as I climbed up, and at the top of, the Stelvio pass last week. I climbed from the Prato side during a trip from Munich to Lake Garda. I left my back pack at the info office in Prato so only had a small handle bar mounted bag. Incredible climb.

i stayed at the top of stelvio in a hotel a couple of years ago on my honeymoon. absolutely fabulous roads. I was in an mx5, and went up and down and up and down etc. Its the best road ive ever been on. Stunnig scenery, and a lad at the top selling cycling jerseys with a print of the climb on it.

lennymc wrote: »
    i stayed at the top of stelvio in a hotel a couple of years ago on my honeymoon. absolutely fabulous roads. I was in an mx5, and went up and down and up and down etc. Its the best road ive ever been on. Stunnig scenery, and a lad at the top selling cycling jerseys with a print of the climb on it.

Yeah its an amazing road. I only did the prato side, but the view when you're about 6km from the top and cycling up to that wall of switchbacks is something else. Whoever thought to build a road up that is an evil genius :)

@Maloner: Those pics of your climb from the prato side are stunning pics - and arguably the best in this thread - thanks for sharing!

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    @Maloner: Those pics of your climb from the prato side are stunning pics - and arguably the best in this thread - thanks for sharing!

Quite the praise!

Its a big thread though, I'm sure I could find quite a lot of better shots.

As a climb though, its the best I've done. The only other climb of that scale I've done is Ventoux, and I found Stelvio tougher and more stunning.

Definitely I'd put this on your hills to climb one day.

Advertisement