Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Zyzz wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds that scenery absolutely breathtaking? :eek:

It would be a lovely road to test drive a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

letape wrote: »
    It would be a lovely road to test drive a car!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

On a cycling forum !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Thats absolutely beautiful! Really would like to cycle there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Straatvark wrote: »
    The view is good and all, but I would really love to see a close-up (or two) of that bike...

No problem!

12036347955_44a665dc56_c.jpg

12036387695_039e2b9785_c.jpg

12036795604_487f25ed7b_c.jpg

She's not finished, I need to get matching silver spacers for the stem, a nice set of mudguards, better wheels and so on.

She rides like a dream though, very spritely, smooth shifts and lovely handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Was that you in the Phoenix Park yesterday taking shots of that beauty on Military Road?

• Advertisement

Yep! I'd said to the guys in VO that I'd send'em on some photos when she was fully built.

Yeah, I was passing by (In Blanch Wheelies uniform) as you were setting up! Lovely paint job and detailing.

Ah good good! I didn't realise it'd be so busy, I usually pop in during the week and avoid over the weekends. Felt like a plonker with 50+ cyclists flying past me!

The place was humming! That and all the runners. Must be January and expensive gyms!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

OldBean wrote: »
    No problem!
    She's not finished, I need to get matching silver spacers for the stem, a nice set of mudguards, better wheels and so on.

She rides like a dream though, very spritely, smooth shifts and lovely handling.

Smashing looking bike, up there with a couple of the Mercians some of the Audax lads have.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Smashing looking bike, up there with a couple of the Mercians some of the Audax lads have.

Thanks, that was the plan - I wanted to get something I could grow into, and ride 600km's on. Lots ahead of me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's pretty nice alright, I should have taken more photos but I wasn't stopping on climbing segments :D

It actually isn't as nice a cycle as I thought it would be though. 3-4 great saddles to climb over but flatish farmland stretches inbetween which are a little tedious -especially with the wind that day. And the hotel at half way wasn't open that early which really bummed out my day. I'll do it again for sure - but on a really hot still day and take longer to do it will be way better.

That whole cycle I did can be done on rail mounted golf carts too if you don't fancy the workout, though you do miss the views from ontop of the saddles as the railway just puches through the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Hautacam today. There was fresh snow last night.

46124b0e82b411e3b85612a7545bb72a_8.jpg

43ae4bf682b411e3ad1e1228cde782c7_8.jpg

166894da82b411e3be7b127350eb0e37_8.jpg

0594490e82ac11e3871f0e14bae34954_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Early morning...

12098126473_ce2a4e34d9_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Taking a breather after a Strava PB (Stocking Lane - Dublin Mountain Viewing Point)

4TreYHF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

Some snaps of a Dun Laoghaire - Bray Spin last week. Fast forward a few days later in the middle of exams and the auld bike was almost robbed from the college, leaving me without a front wheel... :mad:

1005465_568757389837278_430685696_n.jpg

1185051_575877209125296_312384932_n.jpg

1538679_650891168290566_362237633_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Nice photos, the lock you have on your bike is asking for it to be stolen lol

Nice photos, the lock you have on your bike is asking for it to be stolen lol

True, but the thieves made a dog's dinner of the only other lock I had. Only took a few hits with a sledgehammer to jam the locking mechanism. The key got stuck and broke when I tried to undo it, so now both the lock and the front wheel are stuck but both are beyond repair anyway.

It's frustrating to say the least especially since I only just had the bike fixed but the college security did a brilliant job in managing to save it on time and I still can't thank them enough! :)

Round the mountain event today, my 5th time around, my wife's first so somewhat slower than previous efforts and hence some photos
    http://www.strava.com/activities/108729057
    20140125_081716_zps26547976.jpg
    20140125_082746_zps26abd7c8.jpg
    20140125_083310_zpsa53a25e9.jpg

First relay checkpoint is right in the distance
    20140125_084254_zpsd42e47a7.jpg
    20140125_084257_zps82fb9422.jpg

contd
    20140125_090736_zpsc8ea427c.jpg
    20140125_101520_zps699dd157.jpg
    20140125_101529_zps5bbde894.jpg
    20140125_115411_zpse1f8a31f.jpg

Guy on a unicycle, he was aiming for 9.5hrs to do it. best time of the day for comparison was about 3h 41-42
    20140125_131026_zps95695caf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Garzard wrote: »
    True, but the thieves made a dog's dinner of the only other lock I had.

Bar stewards. I'm a bleeding heart liberal on most things, but when it comes to bike thieves, I'm considerably to the right of Attila the Hun...

On the "cable" type locks. Can't stress enough how little time these will detain someone. I once, all unwary, saw a bike being stolen -- I was walking up some stairs to a path and roadway at a higher level, and the thief obviously hadn't seen me. It was so quick I didn't realize until it was much too late. Just wanders up to bike carrying a plastic bag, leans over it, quick movement of his hands, gets on bike and cycles off. Little pair of bolt-cutters in the bag, evidently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some snaps of a Dun Laoghaire - Bray Spin last week. Fast forward a few days later in the middle of exams and the auld bike was almost robbed from the college, leaving me without a front wheel... :mad:

Do you mind if I ask you where this little path is?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask you where this little path is?

It's a little pedestrian path just off the Vico Road. Bikes can be brought down to a certain extent until you reach that little bridge in the background. From what I remember it was too narrow and with too steep steps to get bikes across which is a bit annoying really. Nice scenery though.

https://www.google.ie/maps/preview/@53.2674589,-6.1047367,703m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ie/maps/preview/@53.267981,-6.104385,3a,75y,224.77h,81.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slgDBvi9Bpn9cFdsmU9V2Qg!2e0

alaimacerc wrote: »
    On the "cable" type locks. Can't stress enough how little time these will detain someone. I once, all unwary, saw a bike being stolen -- I was walking up some stairs to a path and roadway at a higher level, and the thief obviously hadn't seen me. It was so quick I didn't realize until it was much too late. Just wanders up to bike carrying a plastic bag, leans over it, quick movement of his hands, gets on bike and cycles off. Little pair of bolt-cutters in the bag, evidently...

Compared to heavier locks in an urban area, yeah they are next to useless. Still handy though when trying to keep weight to a minimum on weekend cycles etc. Tomorrow along with a new wheel I'll look for a high-quality Kryptonite / Abus lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Some snaps of a Dun Laoghaire - Bray Spin last week. Fast forward a few days later in the middle of exams and the auld bike was almost robbed from the college, leaving me without a front wheel...

Surprisingly green for January.

Compared to heavier locks in an urban area, yeah they are next to useless. Still handy though when trying to keep weight to a minimum on weekend cycles etc. Tomorrow along with a new wheel I'll look for a high-quality Kryptonite / Abus lock.

I don't have "high quality", but I do have a knockoff of those, which (as per your own experience) I figure at least obliges them to bring a lumphammer and spend some time, and make some noise, going at it.

The cable type will of course stop some people from thieving it, or "joyriding" and dumping it for the laugh, but the people who'll steal it anyway, I can't stress enough how little time it'll take them.

transylman wrote: »
    Surprisingly green for January.

I'm surprised you're surprised. I guess south county Dublin is a tad further north and east than here, but our four seasons here are four rainy autumns, just with slightly different temperatures of precip. (Pouring down right now. Fell off on the way home... not because of the wind and rain, but with a pothole so deep it swallowed about an eight of a wheel rim, and so steep-sided that my front wheel just stopped *dead. "Mild", though!)

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I don't have "high quality", but I do have a knockoff of those, which (as per your own experience) I figure at least obliges them to bring a lumphammer and spend some time, and make some noise, going at it.

The cable type will of course stop some people from thieving it, or "joyriding" and dumping it for the laugh, but the people who'll steal it anyway, I can't stress enough how little time it'll take them.

The lock I was using until it got wrecked was some Magnum type, a few years old covered in scratches and chips but always did the job and well worth the money. One previous attempt to rob it while it was locked outside the Square in Tallaght ended up in the guy barely scratching the paint but ruining his own bolt cutters in the process - found them next to the bike when I came back to it! :pac: While they were relatively small mind you, I was surprised at how much damage was done to them last week given the awkwardness of access and time the thieves had to do it.

This cable is just being used as a stopgap for a few days and our garden is pretty secure, I'd never use it on its own for anywhere else. It could be useful as a secondary lock for the front wheel and frame though, and it weighs no more than a can of Coke, so no issue bringing it along.

This cable is just being used as a stopgap for a few days and our garden is pretty secure, I'd never use it on its own for anywhere else. It could be useful as a secondary lock for the front wheel and frame though, and it weighs no more than a can of Coke, so no issue bringing it along.

Ya, I should likely use one of those for that purpose myself, as I have "quick steal" hubs. (Entirely pointlessly on a bike that's used for commuting and what you might generously called "light day touring".) Wouldn't bank on them staying attached if left unattended for a number of hours, though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 swap

they are excellent photos i cant believe i have never been to the ox mountains i had forgotten that they were there have to go there on my bike

Advertisement