Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Speech and Language Therapy

Options
  • 02-04-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I *think* I've been accepted onto the MSc Speech and Language Therapy. Well it says I've been accepted online but I'm supposed to wait for the official letter in the post for final confirmation!

Just wondering if anybody else online here has been accepted? Would love to chat to others starting in September too!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056208643

There's at least one other person who's applied this year :)
    A friend of mine is hoping to apply for the 2012 class so I'm hoping to gather as much info about it as I can for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

Oh thanks for that! I'm sure I can give you some advice for your friend's application. I can definitely tell you what I did for mine anyway so that might be some help for her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

Quibbler wrote: »
    I *think* I've been accepted onto the MSc Speech and Language Therapy. Well it says I've been accepted online but I'm supposed to wait for the official letter in the post for final confirmation!

Just wondering if anybody else online here has been accepted? Would love to chat to others starting in September too!

:)

Don't know if you still look at this thread but just saw that my student records say I've gotten a place on the MSc for September 2012. Don't want to presume anything till I get my written confirmation. I'm scared they just made a mistake on the online system. Just wondering did it take long before you got your written confirmation last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m.dwyer4

ulslt wrote: »
    Don't know if you still look at this thread but just saw that my student records say I've gotten a place on the MSc for September 2012. Don't want to presume anything till I get my written confirmation. I'm scared they just made a mistake on the online system. Just wondering did it take long before you got your written confirmation last year??

Hi there I got my confirmation letter on Friday so you should get it soon if you haven't already. Are you accepting your place? I am over the moon! I got rejected from UCL after the interview so was really worried.. I got a place in QMU in Edinburgh as well but the fees are far too high so I'm not going to take it... so happy to hear from UL so early!

m.dwyer4 wrote: »
    Hi there I got my confirmation letter on Friday so you should get it soon if you haven't already. Are you accepting your place? I am over the moon! I got rejected from UCL after the interview so was really worried.. I got a place in QMU in Edinburgh as well but the fees are far too high so I'm not going to take it... so happy to hear from UL so early!

Hey I ended up getting my letter on Friday too!! So so happy! Got a place at QMU too but those fees were ridiculous! So relieved about UL. Were lucky this year, we found out early and didn't have to go through the torture of an interview. The courses in England are so competitive because the fees are paid. At the interview I was at there were girls that were trying for the second time and nearly everyone had jobs at speech and language therapy assistants. Still though I heard that they get a huge amount of applications for UL so we're very lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 liu83

Does anyone know how about the IASLT memembership once qualified.
    I read that they request that New Graduate Members must work in supervised and supported practice for a minimum of one full I.A.S.L.T. year of membership (the membership year is January – December).
    How does it work? Where can a new graduate be supervised, who pays for the supervision? It is not possible to go to work abroad if you are not a full member, but taking into the account that the jobs in slt sector in Ireland are so scarce, I am really worried about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m.dwyer4

ulslt wrote: »
    Hey I ended up getting my letter on Friday too!! So so happy! Got a place at QMU too but those fees were ridiculous! So relieved about UL. Were lucky this year, we found out early and didn't have to go through the torture of an interview. The courses in England are so competitive because the fees are paid. At the interview I was at there were girls that were trying for the second time and nearly everyone had jobs at speech and language therapy assistants. Still though I heard that they get a huge amount of applications for UL so we're very lucky!

UCL was the same so much people had so much experience, they interviewed 140 people for 25 places. And the interview was really tough, you had to work on a video of a client with aphasia.. I thought I had done loads but apparently not enough... I have an interview for the Uni of Essex in May so I will do that just in case just for NHS funding, RCSLT membership etc but to be honest I'd say I'd be happier in UL!

liu83 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how about the IASLT memembership once qualified.
    I read that they request that New Graduate Members must work in supervised and supported practice for a minimum of one full I.A.S.L.T. year of membership (the membership year is January – December).
    How does it work? Where can a new graduate be supervised, who pays for the supervision? It is not possible to go to work abroad if you are not a full member, but taking into the account that the jobs in slt sector in Ireland are so scarce, I am really worried about the whole thing.

I'm not sure about here but at an interview in England they told us that it just meant that new therapists would have to work in a setting such as a speech and language department, so you would be working alongside other therapists who would support you. But this means working within the NHS or HSE. though they did say that in England they were considering that if a private practice was large enough that they may be able to supervise new therapists aswell. I don't know any other info beside that but it sounds like its just a way of supporting new therapists. It going to be another two and a half years before I reach that situation so hopefully the job situation will have improved a little by then. More therapists are definitely needed.

m.dwyer4 wrote: »
    UCL was the same so much people had so much experience, they interviewed 140 people for 25 places. And the interview was really tough, you had to work on a video of a client with aphasia.. I thought I had done loads but apparently not enough... I have an interview for the Uni of Essex in May so I will do that just in case just for NHS funding, RCSLT membership etc but to be honest I'd say I'd be happier in UL!

We had to do a hearing test in Sheffield and comment on recordings of a couple of people with speech difficulties. I wasn't sure how much knowledge they were expecting us to have. Though I did find the interview more relaxed than I thought it would be. No matter what happens with England I'm gonna stick with UL though. I did my undergrad there and I love the place so I can't wait to go back there!

Advertisement