Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shed Roof Leaking (at the nail points)

• 02-04-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi all, busy working and fixing things, and on break i just find more things to fix:rolleyes:

ok, looking today, i realised that i have a bit of work to do on the roof of the shed, its not a big job, a day or two id say.

the problem,

shed is galvinised, build early 90s. i have water coming in where the nails are hammerd in to the timber beams, I no this as i see it and thers drops. nails are those ones we all know, galvinised with a rubber washer.

what should i do,
    i was thinking, giving each nail a few taps, and then sealing all around with tech 7 or some sort of silicone. .

thoughts and ideas welcome,
    is there any particular silicone i should use for this, it would need to be flexible id say.

thanks
    newbeeffarmer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Some of the nails on my shed were the same. I just went over them all with ordinary silicone that I got from a mate that puts in windows. You are probably better doing all the nails rather than just the few that are leaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

yeah i would tighten them with the hammer,then if it didnt solve it silicone them. the nails might have lifted over time with wind pushing again sheets and timbers drying out and allowing water under washer.where there is a drip on the floor might not be leaking directly above it.somtimes it could leak at a stick and run down the roof hit another stick and drip.is there any skylights?? they are a very common area to leak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

ya 6 skylights

clear like, , , yellow now as they go :D

whats the common fault on them, should i look out for something?

i think its the way they sit and the fact there being a bottom sheet,skylight,topsheet as opposed to one long sheet. we run a bead of silicone around were they will sit,nail everyother ridge and put a few teck screws through them onto the tin.careful not to stand on them,one of our men fell through one that was discoloured(didnt see it) and landed down onto slats right beside mixing point that was open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Hi all, busy working and fixing things, and on break i just find more things to fix:rolleyes:

ok, looking today, i realised that i have a bit of work to do on the roof of the shed, its not a big job, a day or two id say.

the problem,

shed is galvinised, build early 90s. i have water coming in where the nails are hammerd in to the timber beams, I no this as i see it and thers drops. nails are those ones we all know, galvinised with a rubber washer.

what should i do,
    i was thinking, giving each nail a few taps, and then sealing all around with tech 7 or some sort of silicone. .

thoughts and ideas welcome,
    is there any particular silicone i should use for this, it would need to be flexible id say.

thanks
    newbeeffarmer
    i would not use silicone as it will cause rust and rot the steel hear tech 7 is good stuff .

• Advertisement

Yikes. Didnt know that about silicone, might look into something else so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

could the roof do with painting?
    if its only small holes just go around and tighten any any nails and get a fellow to spray paint it. think its best to clean/power wash the roof first before painting.

could the roof do with painting?
    if its only small holes just go around and tighten any any nails and get a fellow to spray paint it. think its best to clean/power wash the roof first before painting.

yeah good point. the farmer at a place we were working recently sprayed his roofs and side sheeting and there was a lot of holes in them(i think they were used before) he said the man doing the spraying used some resin or somthing. not sure if it is mixed in undercoat or what but it was a good job

Shed was painted 5 yrs ago.
    Dont think paint would sort all this out.

Still though there must be some product out there for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Shed was painted 5 yrs ago.
    Dont think paint would sort all this out.

Still though there must be some product out there for the job

http://bostik.ie/diy/product/evo-stik/Flashband/285
    this stuff is often used to patch galv roofs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Get a tub of All Weather Compound and a 1 inch brush, it's basically tar in a tin, work it around/over each nail and you'll get a fairly good seal. then a whack of the hammer to make sure the nail hasnt lifted. hitting the nail after maximises your chances of getting the tar underneath/around the washer.

messy, but will take paint in a year or two and it never dries fully so should move with the roof in future.

Advertisement