Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm back in Ireland

Options
  • 02-04-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Twenty years ago I left Belfast town and settled in London. In those days, Belfast was still in the doldrums, there were still people getting killed, there was still sectarianism on just about every level, there were still British soldiers on the streets and there was little chance of me landing a job. So I upped sticks and moved to London, which I saw as a place where I could be free to come and go as I please.

Well, I was a free man in London. I felt unfettered and alive. I had jobs and I built up my life in the UK's capital.

But living there was too expensive. Rent swallowed up most of my income. I moved from a fully self-contained studio flat to a single room flat to a bedsit.

Belfast, on the other hand, was changing for the better, and so was the rest of Ireland. And most of my family still live in Ireland anyway.

So I made up my mind, stuffed some of my clothes into a duffel bag and jumped on a flight from London to Belfast. And here I am now with my own family, the people I love and who love me.

My family are pleased I've come back to Ireland and so am I. This is where I belong. This is where I grew up and this is where I'm going to spend the rest of my life, God willing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Things are still **** here but get a car for a few days and drive off the main roads, you should still be in time to see the lambs and the calves. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Thomas828 wrote: »
    And here I am now with my own family, the people I love and who love me.

This outweighs bank bailouts and sectarianism and all the crap that brings Ireland down. Welcome back OP, I hope more like you can realise what the important things in life are and follow your example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Welcome home Thomas, good to have you back!

Advertisement