Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Vietnamese martial art in Ireland?

• 02-04-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys,

Sorry to "spam" , but I am looking for a Vietnamese martial art in Ireland? Dublin? Are there any associations ?
    Otherwise , should I have some time, I would be happy to share our culture.

Best regards

Hakao

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Bujinkan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hakao

Thanks for your reply.

As nobody answers my question, I wonder if someone would be interested by learning vovinam (which is a Vietnamese martial art).

I cannot teach the whole system , but surely can teach the basis. I plan to move to Dublin soon and tentatively would like to teach once a week.

Should anyone interested by vovinam, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Vovinam is the one where they do flying scissors kicks/take-downs right? Is that really a big part of the art or is it just something they put in demos a lot because it looks cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The videos of sparring make it look exactly like WTF TKD.

Well, the leg attack take-downs are the "trademark" of vovinam.

Nowadays, people perform it for the exhibitions. As I know, in Viet Nam, people train a lot the leg attack take-down, unfortunately it is not my cup of tea :(

However, vovinam has far more technics such as basics (such as punchs-kicks which are similar to kungfu/karate/taekwondo), but there are some wrestlings, self defense, quyen (forms) ....

I learned in a "traditional way", so I barely did leg attack take-downs. I used to refine my technics instead.

My goal is sharing my "culture" to Irish people, giving an overview and therefore I can only teach the foundation.

Whoever wanna go further, there are several classes in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

hakao wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry to "spam" , but I am looking for a Vietnamese martial art in Ireland? Dublin? Are there any associations ?
    Otherwise , should I have some time, I would be happy to share our culture.

Best regards

Hakao

Used to train with a guy (1 year) who did Viet-vo (spl?!?), Vietnamese guy by way of Switzerland...

Brought him to a karate competition, mainly Shotokan guys attending, gave him a gi and a black belt and he went out and came second in the Kata competition :)

I asked hin afterwards what 'form/hising/kata' was that, he said that he couldn't decide which one to do, so he made one up on the spot :D:D

I will tentatively move in Ireland in May.
    Therefore I would be happy if someone can tell me how to organise class in Ireland.
    As teaching would not be my first occupation:
    -Can I teach in the park ? Is it legal?
    -Do my students need to take insurance?
    -What are the average fees per lesson in general?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

hakao wrote: »
    I will tentatively move in Ireland in May.
    Therefore I would be happy if someone can tell me how to organise class in Ireland.
    As teaching would not be my first occupation:
    -Can I teach in the park ? Is it legal?
    -Do my students need to take insurance?
    -What are the average fees per lesson in general?

Thanks in advance for your help
    You don't have to be a professional to have a club. Our organisation is strictly amateur and I think Judo and a lot of TKD are the same.
    I'm not sure on teaching in a park, if you don't need mats then you should be able to find a cheap hall you can rent for a few hours a week. Insurance is essential, there are Irish companies providing it or you can try the AMA over in the UK (assuming you are a qualified instructor or have black belt certs).
    Where in Ireland will you be moving to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Unpossible wrote: »
    there are Irish companies providing it or you can try the AMA over in the UK (assuming you are a qualified instructor or have black belt certs).
    I'm not 100%, but I believe that a lot of the martial arts insurers don't actually care if you have a martial arts qualification.

You could probably teach in the park, but I think the weather would be your biggest problem as it's quite unpredictable over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I'm not 100%, but I believe that a lot of the martial arts insurers don't actually care if you have a martial arts qualification.
    I don't know about others, but the AMA have really tightened things up over the last year. They now require certificates, which was fun as normally HanMooDo doesn't do certificates for instructors as Finland works a little differently to Ireland, after some stressful talks we now have a certificate system for Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement