Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash for clothes

• 02-04-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this is in the right place to post so mods feel free to move it.

A shop has just recently opened in my area (Cash For Clothes) offering cash for old clothes, shoes, bedding and bric a brac . I think they might be nationwide from the ads in the local paper. They are even offering home collections for free.

Just wondering if anyone has used them and are they any good. My house is heaving with stuff the Mrs has collected over the years and wants to get rid of. Might be handy if you were stuck for a few quid too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Id rather give my old clothes to charity tbh,even stuff that cant be worn again or resold can be recycled by charity shops. There are loads of these places opening up, there is one near me that gives 50c per kilo i think, but id rather sell anything that has a value eg. designer wear on ebay or give the rest to charity.
    I can see it having a huge effect on charity shops, its hard enough for them to get donations with all the fake bags and stickers put through doors and now these places opening up :(:(

If you wanted to get rid of stuff why not go to a car boot sale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

We pay you cash for your used clothing and shoes.

We collect adults’ and children’s clothing, bedding (not pillows or duvets), curtains, soft toys, shoes (tied together please), belts and handbags.

1. Fill your bag/s with your unwanted clothing.
    2. Call our dedicated number to arrange a collection.
    3. Our collectors will weigh the bag/s and pay you.
    We pay €0.50 per kg for the items.
    This equates to €500 per tonne
    or €5.00 for a full 10kg bag.

http://www.cash4clothes.ie/index.html

I have a toaster on adverts.ie for free, practically new only used about 3 times, would any of the charity shops take this.

I know there is something about not accepting certain electrical products

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

danjo-xx wrote: »

We collect adults’ and children’s clothing, bedding (not pillows or duvets), curtains, soft toys, shoes (tied together please), belts and handbags.

I have a toaster on adverts.ie for free, practically new only used about 3 times, would any of the charity shops take this.

I know there is something about not accepting certain electrical products

Great idea, I feel a monster clean out coming on!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

isnt this just the bogus charities under a different guise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

As in, wearing different clothes ....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yes I think it is the same clothing "re-cyclers" the like of which previously dropped bogus collection bags or robbed charity bags from doorsteps.

Someone on another site I use gave them 5 small black bags & got €11, she was thrilled but I'm sure a charity shop would have made more than that on them
    AND when items in a charity shop do not sell, they "rag" them anyway, ie. sell them by weight to the same type of organisations.

I clear out regularly and sell stuff on myself and regularly give to my local charity shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/2008/0414/consumer576.html now there is a margin for markup here. I think they get over 1.50 a kg when they sell it on. As you sure that these clothes aren't going to africa where they are sold and then guns etc are bought with the proceeds. There was a prime time on this a bit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

it's just a business. in Poland they sell those to second hand shops for 10 up to 20 euro per 1kg. So they pay you 5 euro per 10 kg and get 100-200 selling it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a shop just opened in arklow doing this. 50c per kilo of clothes, right opposite mrs. quin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

***SCAM WARNING***
    If u get a call from a charity asking u to donate your old clothes to the starving people of the world tell them to 4uck off.
    Anyone who fits your clothes aint starving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Do they pay you cash or is it a cheque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

PcAngel wrote: »
    Do they pay you cash or is it a cheque?

Western Union :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Nothing stopping someone throwing in a few briquettes to boost the weight:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I saw a woman in the Artane Market the other day bringing in clothes - the girl weighed them and gave the woman cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This!!!!!!!

Now they can't even be arsed delivering bags and stickers, they want you to come to them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

1. Fill bag with old clothes.
    2. Insert 5kg bag of sand to middle of bag, fill all pockets with sand / stones
    3. Let them weigh your 'clothes' and pay you
    4. be happy knowing you've ripped off a company putting charity shops out of business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

I know a person who was broken into, and apart from trashing the place they also took all the clothes from 3 wardrobes. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dymo wrote: »
    I know a person who was broken into, and apart from trashing the place they also took all the clothes from 3 wardrobes. Just saying.

Did the thieves weigh them and leave a few quid?

If not, I fail to see what your post has to do with this. Unless you're intimating there are people stealing clothes to sell to Cash4Clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Nothing stopping someone throwing in a few briquettes to boost the weight:D

This thought had crossed my mind!:D

I don't think the shops offer good value and a kilo of clothes is more than we might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone remember the Rag Man? Used to take jam jars too.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 darcycheng

I think the whole concept of selling your old clothes in one of these businesses is a new low for this country. Charities like the Vincent De Paul are doing their absolute best to help the less well off and a huge percentage of their funding comes from their charity shops where they depend entirely on the public donating goods into them. I have a friend who works in one of the Dublin Vincents shops and she tells me their donations are down well over 50% since one of these scumbags opened up near them. I wonder how many people getting 5 or 6 euro for their bag REALLY needs it ? I would say if you really need it, then yes, good luck to you, go for it, but if there is any humanity in you at all, consider less lucky people than yourself and how much reward your bag might bring for SVP or Enable or any of the other under appreciated charities around the country. These are the real unspoken heroes of our society and its such a shame these cash for recycling fly by night operators can be allowed to impact so seriously on the good guys :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: - rant over...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement