Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a new watch..

• 02-04-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be looking for a new watch to replace the Tissot I had on adverts.ie this week, and Im looking for a little bit of a push in the right direction.

My budget is €200..

Im after something that will look right while out for a run, or with a suit.. so nothing 'jewelleryish'.. and with a bit of toughness to it.

I was looking along the lines of this GShock Giez but Im not sure if the dials behind the main face will make it tricky to see.

gshock25th.jpg

But.. Theres one main thing I need with the new watch and thats a good light or brightness. Im pretty short sighted and I need to be able to see it at night. I dont have a huge preference between hands or digital but whichever I pick has to be easily seen. I'll need an alarm on it also, and no metal or silicone rubber straps..

I sound like a difficult fool talking to a personal shopper.. but hey.. maybe your expertise might point me to something I'd never have looked at.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm not really up on the latest quartz offerings but in case you might be looking for something out of the ordinary, here's a page full of mechanical Russian alarm watches
    http://www.ruwatch.com/cgi-bin/shop/preisliste.pl?id=0000099&Referenznummer=9102-4057&lang=de&cur=EUR&Art_gr=Wecker&lang=de

They all usually come with leather straps, most would have decent lume and all are around your budget.
    None of them might be your thing though :D, but they're certainly different

Examples
    5103.jpg5213.jpgSIMG1518.JPG

Edit: here's a sound file of the alarm http://www.ruwatch.com/wecker/poljot-wecker.wav ...different, to say the least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks! That alarm is mad. It'd have people evacuating the house :)

Here's a video ...the last watch in the vid is the first in the pics above

Then there would be the Traser H3 watches

2013-nacht.jpg2013-T4004---2.jpg

excellent night visibility ...sadly, the one with alarm is double your budget

peasant wrote: »
    Then there would be the Traser H3 watches

They do look like just the job.. Verry nice!
    This one is within budget..ish but doesnt have the alarm either.
    Is there a lot to be said for these NATO straps? Seems like a lot of good watches have them.

P_6600_Nato_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Nato straps are cheap, robust, cloth, one size fits all kind of solutions for military type watches. They take some abuse, are washable and can be made to fit over your coat sleeve if needs be ...plus they are cheap to replace.

Dressy they aint :D

Ah the black ones are grand for wearing with a suit.. I'm not looking to impress with it anyway, I just don't want a flourescent orange one or anythin :)

The P6600 is the leader at the mo anyway! Simple but very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Trotter wrote: »
    Ah the black ones are grand for wearing with a suit.. I'm not looking to impress with it anyway, I just don't want a flourescent orange one or anythin :)

The P6600 is the leader at the mo anyway! Simple but very nice.

NATO with a suit :eek:

Cyrus wrote: »
    NATO with a suit :eek:

How very secret serviceish.. I bet James Bond had a NATO strap :D

bedlam wrote: »

;)

He feckin did too!!! Nifty research there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Welllll.... :o he didn't as they didn't exist yet when the movie was made. It was a cheapo 60's nylon strap. The original metal strap didn't fit Connery(t'was the producers Rolex) so they sent out a runner to buy any old strap. /pedant :o:D

For me anyway I have to say NATO's are a damn fine strap IMHO, particularly on bigger watches. Very secure too and no issue with allergies or any of that. As peasant said they're cheap as chips to replace and come in all sorts of colours to suit, though the original is only ever grey*. I've had more NATO/G10 straps than any other. Love em.

*I do have a black one issued to a military chap in the early 90's so maybe they came in black too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The strap on the Traser seems to be along the lines of the NATO one, and either way it seems replaceable.

I'll fish out some reviews for the P6600 anyway.

If it's the H3 lume that you're after (and the missing alarm isn't that big a deal) you might also want to look at Swissora http://www.swissora.com/collection.html

These all come with silcone straps ...but as we've already established, a NATO strap wouldn't break the bank :D

And to come back to my first post, I'm pretty sure this Poljot Dolphin would look pretty good on a NATO strap too ...possibly a grey one even :D

Dolphin_14.jpg

No H3, but monster lume nonetheless (and that quirky alarm :D)

Advertisement