Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling camera equipment in Dublin

• 02-04-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I currently use a Pentax camera and have a couple of bodies, a few different lenses and a flashgun. However I'm looking to change to either Canon or Nikon (I'm not decided yet) and am looking to get rid of what I have to raise money for the new camera. I'm just looking for peoples suggestions as to where would be the best place in Dublin to sell my current equipment. I realise that selling it online would probably be the best option overall as I'm assuming that any camera shop may give me a slightly low price in order to increase their profit upon resale, but if I could sell it somewhere in person for a decent price then I'd be happy with that. The first place that comes to mind is Conns Cameras but has anyone ever sold them (or anywhere else) anything before, and did they get a fair price? One problem that I have is that the sensor in my Pentax K20D may need replacing, and a quote for repairing it was £250 plus VAT (yes pounds is correct. The officially licenced repair shop is in England). I'm not sure the camera is even worth that much money, but maybe a shop could repair it before selling it on. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Adverts.ie or else donedeal.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i'd vote for adverts over donedeal any day. you could always ask in a shop what they'll give you for it, and let that + a bit more be your guide. if you don't end up getting it shifted on adverts, you always have the shop as back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I currently use a Pentax camera and have a couple of bodies, a few different lenses and a flashgun. However I'm looking to change to either Canon or Nikon (I'm not decided yet) and am looking to get rid of what I have to raise money for the new camera. I'm just looking for peoples suggestions as to where would be the best place in Dublin to sell my current equipment. I realise that selling it online would probably be the best option overall as I'm assuming that any camera shop may give me a slightly low price in order to increase their profit upon resale, but if I could sell it somewhere in person for a decent price then I'd be happy with that. The first place that comes to mind is Conns Cameras but has anyone ever sold them (or anywhere else) anything before, and did they get a fair price? One problem that I have is that the sensor in my Pentax K20D may need replacing, and a quote for repairing it was £250 plus VAT (yes pounds is correct. The officially licenced repair shop is in England). I'm not sure the camera is even worth that much money, but maybe a shop could repair it before selling it on. Any help is much appreciated.

It's called conns for a reason, I had a few dealing with them, they'll give you buttons if anything at all, (actually only read the sensor is gone), it's practically worthless, maybe a camera repair shop will give you the bottom rate and keep it for bits and pieces should a damaged one come in, but honestly cant see you selling it........sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

I have sold some old/rare Nikon lenses on Ebay. One in particular i had appraised in a Dublin camera shop (not Conns) and was offered a derisory amount - ended up getting almost 3 times what I was offered in the shop by selling online (even after ebay/paypal fees).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Boy Division

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't know why I didn't think of adverts.ie, as I've sold stuff on there before. I guess I'm just an idiot :D

@uprising2 That's what I'm thinking. Although there's a chance it could be something other than the sensor but I'm pretty sure that that's the problem.

@emrys I've got a Pentax K100D and I see on the Conns site they have a second hand one for €300. I just can't imagine being offered anything near that if I took it into any shop at all, so maybe my best option is online. There's no harm going in and asking though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Just wondering, what makes you think that the sensor is faulty? Usually the sensor is one of the longest working parts in a camera unless used for long exposures, astrophotography or video on a DSLR.

There's an identical black line coming up on every picture I take, always in the same position, always the same width (no more than a couple of pixels but still very noticeable). I Googled it to try and find out what was up and on the Pentax forums other people who had the same problem said it turned out their sensors were broken. I've not had it checked anywhere so there's always a chance it could be something else, but even after trying different memory cards and lenses to see if either of them was the problem it's still coming up the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

where did your K20D come from??
    if it's a shop within the UK/Ireland then I would be writing an absolute stinker of a letter to Pentax UK

your warranty with a shop might only be 1 year(which being a K20D is likely expired) but a manufacture can be held to account for what the law deems a reasonable lifetime of a product,in no way would a judge agree that 2 years or there abouts is a reasonable lifespan for a camera
    if it's not due to misuse/impact etc you may have a case!

I bought it online from a store in the UK. I'd never thought about that to be honest but thanks very much for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find an email address for Pentax but if not I'll send them a letter in the morning. I looked after the camera perfectly. I didn't drop it or misuse it or anything. I was taking photos one day and it was fine, then the next day I noticed the line appearing. Just to show what's happening on my camera, the picture in this first post in the link is the same problem I'm getting. Only mine runs horizontally and is about a third of the way down the image:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120792-k20d-leaves-line-right-side-photo.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

From reading page two of that link it would seem to me you've a very good case for a free repair as it appears this isn't the first K20 with this issue
    I'd say pentax UK are well aware of it and will hopefully put it right

Considering I sold my D1x when it was about 7years old and working perfectly
    I'd be livid with a DSLR under 3years old going to the scrapheap with a dud sensor

Protest firmly but politely and think you'll be sorted
    Then flog the piece of ****e!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement