Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring my car to Holland?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I have been offered a 6 month contract with a manufacturing company in Holland. I am considering in bringing my car over there.

Would an Irish insurance company insure you for 6 months abroad?

I am not sure if its worth all the hassle as the Dutch have very good public transport. The only reason I am considering in bringing it, is to bring around my golf clubs to the golf courses nearby (as there isn't really any other way getting to them) and maybe do some driving at weekends. I will be using the train and a bike to get to work.

If all goes well with the new job I could be saying longer in Holland.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Most insurances only do 30 day eu cover. But while in holland you could get a company over there to insure you...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

I lived there many years ago. It was a long stay and I bought a second-hand car very cheaply. In the beginning I hired until I knew the score. Because I was living in Amssterdam a car was just a nuisance. Transport is excellent all over. You don't say where you'll be living so that is important but if you cycle to work then it's just your recreation you need it for. If you use the same club you might be able to hire a golf cupboard and leave the clubs there!

If you decide to stay then decide on a purchase. Bringing over a car is a nuisance and the paperwork is very bereaucratic. Best buy is a reasonable value secondhand. Found it impossible to sell my wife's car coming back as we didn;t want the hasse of importing it and paying VRT etc. The secondhand market was weird at the time. Spend as little as possible on wheels and the best of luck.

If you know someone over there coming home that's always a good contact!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Yes I should mention where I will be working. I will be working in Steenwijk which is a town between Zwolle and Leeuwarden. More than likely I will be staying in Zwolle as there is better selection of accommodation and the city has more facilities.

If the car was brought over, it will be for recreational use at weekends when I want to go golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

David6330 wrote: »
    Yes I should mention where I will be working. I will be working in Steenwijk which is a town between Zwolle and Leeuwarden. More than likely I will be staying in Zwolle as there is better selection of accommodation and the city has more facilities.

If the car was brought over, it will be for recreational use at weekends when I want to go golfing.

Bring your car over, its fine if its only for 6 months.

Your Insurance will always cover you third party.

Cars in Holland are quite expensive (More expensive that Ireland)

If you want to import your car its not that difficult, you just need to swap out the headlights to point the other way, get an APK (NCT) done and then bring it to the RDW.

Also if you've owned it for 6 months in Ireland you won't be BPM Import tax.

Steering wheel will be on the wrong side but its not a big deal :)

http://europa.eu/travel/gettingthere/index_en.htm
    Motor insurance

Wherever you are travelling in the EU your car insurance policy will automatically provide the minimum cover (third party liability) required by law. This also applies to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. If you have comprehensive insurance at home, check that the cover extends to travelling in other countries.

The comprehensive part of your policy will sometimes only cover you for 30 days.

The amount of Irish reg's around the place in Holland is increasing all the time. :)

Just make sure you Tax/Insurance/NCT is up to day and you won't have any problems.

You'll also have no problem getting a Parking Permit for a foreign car. (I applied online for mine and it came 2 days later)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

My info is way out of date. I lived in Voorschoten between Leiden and Den Haag in the really crowded areadf the Netherlands. The Dutch police were sticklers for stopping foreign owned cars predominantly UK. The British School in the Netherlands was in the town and they seemed to pick on them all the time I don't know why. I had a Dutch registered car so it was no problem. You're a good bit east so maybe you'll do just fine.Enjoy your stay and pick up a few words of Dutch. All the Irish in our area spoke it from rough to fluent and though the Dutch won't always compliment you they do appreciate people making the effort.

Best of luck with your assignment.

Diarmuid

• Advertisement
Advertisement