Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Knocked Down - what to do next

Options
  • 02-04-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have felled a tall tree in our garden - probably 40 or 50 feet tall. Most of the branches have been trimmed - may need a shredder for these. Trunk not cut up yet. This is very hard work....

Any suggestions on an easier course of action? Would people normally be interested in taking a tree and cutting it up for firewood for themselves (and saving me the hassle) or would I have to pay someone to remove everything if I don't do it myself?

Live in N. Dublin.

Many thanks,

William

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

william wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have felled a tall tree in our garden - probably 40 or 50 feet tall. Most of the branches have been trimmed - may need a shredder for these. Trunk not cut up yet. This is very hard work....

Any suggestions on an easier course of action? Would people normally be interested in taking a tree and cutting it up for firewood for themselves (and saving me the hassle) or would I have to pay someone to remove everything if I don't do it myself?

Live in N. Dublin.

Many thanks,

William

Im in North Dublin too.

What type of tree is it?

And what size/length of trunk is it roughly?

PM me with rergards the tree trunk and I,ll have it for my stove for firewood.:D

I could most probably get my girlfriend to pick it up with her crew cab jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

hire someone with a portable woodmizer
    and he'll cut the trunk into planks of whatever size you want
    and then build a shed or garage out of the planks

or if its a small tree maybe some clocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

May I suggest heading over to the woodcraft forum and seeing if anyone would be interested in it? Shame to use it for firewood at this time of year if it could be helped. What sort of wood is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Letting joe soap in to use a chainsaw on your property is dodgy.. If an accident were to happen you're insurance would take a hit...

Regarding a chainsaw I'd either do it yourself or get a professional company who have insurance to do the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Just leave it Id say.It will break down eventually and will bring more wildlife into your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Snowc wrote: »
    Just leave it Id say.It will break down eventually and will bring more wildlife into your garden.

good call you can buy onicculated mushroom dowels
    and in a year you'll have an entire tree full of mushrooms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Cherry blossom. 20 ft of heavy trunk say and around 2-3ft thick.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

I'd go with what the rev said get someone to plank it up for you too nice a timber to use for logs! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's something like a cherry, give the dublin woodturner's guild a shout; they'd probably be able to get someone insured to use a chainsaw around, and you could ask for a turned piece or two in return for your goodwill.

Advertisement