Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Spring Bankruptcy Sale" Irish Stock Disposal Agents

Options
  • 02-04-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

The attached flyer has been stuck in letter boxes and on car windscreens this weekend around where I live advertising a sale in a small local parish hall in Slieverue, South Kilkenny, which is less then 5km from Waterford city, maybe a more appropiate place to hold such an event. I haven't heard of it been advertised anywhere else like radio or newspapers.

It all seems a little strange...I cant find any references on the internet or to the 'Irish Stock Disposal Agents', no details on where the stock came from, who's selling it, and that they only accept cash or cheques.

What are peoples opinons on it? Does it look legimate? (Btw I haven't rang the phone number)

o8cg09.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Short answer no its not legit.

Long answer. Generally you get there, in stead of being able to buy stuff its a kind of auction where the good stuff is coming up later. The first 5 people get something worth around 50cent for a €1 but feel like they got a deal as the guy said it was worth €5. Then 2 or 3 "strangers" will buy good items like PS3 or Sat Nav really cheap. Then everyone else gets boxes that will be delivered next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yeah, I've never been to one but I've read that they're generally considered to be scams Grumpypants's post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it looks too good to be true....

Seriously - best avoided. Have a read of this old long-running thread

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

This is pretty much what I thought but I went along out of interest with my skeptics hat on.

Went at around 1pm (it started at 12). Very strange and intimidating atmosphere outside when I got there, groups of people hanging around across the street just watching what was going on. Went up to the front door and was told by the very unoffical looking man standing guard that "the hall was closed for today as they had enough people inside for the level of stock they had" so wasnt allowed in. Seems a very strange way to hold a sale/auction by limiting the number of buyers. He also said that "They were testing out the demand in small areas before holding a larger sale".

Talking to a few people outside that had come out, and they said that nobody was allowed touch or inspect anything, and it was basically an auction inside. A person would hold up a group of items, saying they were worth €500 and would ask for €100, for example.

Stayed around for about 15mins and saw alot of people walking out empty-handed and quite disgusted.

It ended up more or less as I expected and as the people above had predicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is exactly the kind of thing you see on the TV show; The Real Hustle. They use very sharp practice to sell tat to unaware and intimidated people. Don't even try to go into one of these things. It's always the same cheap unbranded stock, not liquidation or bankruptcy stock as advertised. Knock-offs from the far-East being sold at inflated prices, basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There used to be a company doing similar stock liquidation auctions operating out of offices in Carlow and they advertised with the fliers and it was the same set-up, advertised as a sale but it was like the dutch auctions they had years ago where a few people would get a bargain but all the stuff is cheap as chips crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Most of the genuine bargains were bought by plants at those auctions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So where are all the genuine auctions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lammy68

I was there today. Nobody got what they came for. No stock present.
    Fyler recieved in the letter box is so mis-leading.
    A lot of trickery. People went home with fake knockoff bracelets and "A PADS" !!. Only people that got "bargains" were the 2 Plants that were put in the room. A bunch of professional rip off merchants.

There in the "Grand in Tramore". Can't wait to present again !
    Shame on the parish for allowing these people to use the hall. A Disgrace.
    Only good thing was it rasied €21 euro for a charity in Waterford !
    Love to know what day the televisions will be delivered and installed by a "Gentleman" called John.
    Please let me know if anyone anywhere recieves similar flyer.

Enjoyable hour was had by all !

lammy68 wrote: »
    I was there today. Nobody got what they came for. No stock present.
    Fyler recieved in the letter box is so mis-leading.
    A lot of trickery. People went home with fake knockoff bracelets and "A PADS" !!. Only people that got "bargains" were the 2 Plants that were put in the room. A bunch of professional rip off merchants.

There in the "Grand in Tramore". Can't wait to present again !
    Shame on the parish for allowing these people to use the hall. A Disgrace.
    Only good thing was it rasied €21 euro for a charity in Waterford !
    Love to know what day the televisions will be delivered and installed by a "Gentleman" called John.
    Please let me know if anyone anywhere recieves similar flyer.

Enjoyable hour was had by all !

Did money change hands today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lammy68

Yep. About 31 people gave up 10 euro each for a fake bracelet
    Funny enough they came in a well decorated
    Bag bearing the name " charmed by the devil" that they were for sure !!

Other people gave away hard earned cash for a
    Mystery box that came bagged in a bin liner. In total I would say
    In my opinion the outfit got a away with about € 1800

Literally -- day light robbery ---

As I said before an entertaining hour !

Personally I'm happy that this thread is now the first result in google when you search for information about irish stock disposal agents, and that it provides details on the scam that it is!

Advertisement