Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza 4

Options
  • 02-04-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this in Smyths (fairly sure I did anyway :confused:), was wondering if any of ye had it, thought it was any good? I never played an of the others in the series but I like the hand-to-hand martial arts. Reviews I looked up give it mixed reviews saying its got a ton of stuff to do and can last 100 hours long. Seems to be a mixed bag to even put it in a genre. Just downloading the PSN demo now.

So, anyone got this?

Comments

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I saw this in Smyths (fairly sure I did anyway :confused:), was wondering if any of ye had it, thought it was any good? I never played an of the others in the series but I like the hand-to-hand martial arts. Reviews I looked up give it mixed reviews saying its got a ton of stuff to do and can last 100 hours long. Seems to be a mixed bag to even put it in a genre. Just downloading the PSN demo now.

So, anyone got this?

I wouldn't go by the demo if it's like 3.

I hated the demo for that, but got a loan of it the last day and I'm 6 hours into it now and think it's good.

A lot of story but I don't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just playing the demo, the combat is okay but I get the sense there is a whole lot more to the game than just this. I see that its rare to get over here but i'm sure I saw it in smyths. Some of the side missions and mini games sound class but some just sound weird like managing hostesses :confused:. Anyone on forums who are fans of this say they love the whole series but its not great if you have played 3 cuz its more or less the same thing. Will have to look into this a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

The best I can describe this game for you is it is Japanese wish fulfillment. You get to do alot of everyday things, go bowling, drinking, shopping, going to host and hostess clubs, going to arcades and restaurants etc.... wile the story lets you be a badass caught up usually in a big yakuza crime plot.

Game play wise, it is just like the demo. There is lots of fights and alot of exploring in between just like a jrpg. The fighting though as you have experienced is like an old-school brawler such as double dragon or like the tekken force modes in tekken.

Thats the best I can describe it for you anyway. If you are interested, you should pick up 3 as it is cheaper and then you'll know if you are into these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't think i'll go for this. Combat seems to be repetitive and I can't see myself playing that amount of mini games. Jaysus looks like you could spend months playing this if you were into it tho!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Don't think i'll go for this. Combat seems to be repetitive and I can't see myself playing that amount of mini games. Jaysus looks like you could spend months playing this if you were into it tho!

I'm not joking that it took me a year to complete Yakuza 3. So many diversions! I'd say only a quarter of my 40 hour play time was devoted to actual plot :P

I'll get around to Yakuza 4 at some point, but boy the demo didn't sell it to me. Different characters and movesets, but the combat felt the same, the engine was the same, the delivery the same. And plot isn't exactly what you buy a Yakuza game for! Best game about Japan no doubt, but more of the same can only go so far. Maybe they're right adding zombies to the mix...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm not joking that it took me a year to complete Yakuza 3. So many diversions! I'd say only a quarter of my 40 hour play time was devoted to actual plot :P

This...

Will probably pick this up later in the year if there's a lull, but you'll definitely get your money out of it if you try to do everything and get 100% (which, i believe, is next to impossible, as it includes eating all the different types of food and drinking the different drinks in each different restaurant).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The food and drink completion is easy but grindtastic. It's the ludicrous difficulty of some of the minigames that makes 100% so taunting. Even with 40 hours I hadn't nearly everything finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yakuza may not be for everybody but its awesome fun, odd mix of variety in the mini games dressing up hostess and all but great fun bout 12 hours into yakuza 4 already and i barely did any of the story missions

Sorry for the near year old thread revival, but i'm wondering if anyone has gotten this since. It's for sale on Play.com for €16.49 delivered, tempted to get it...

Sorry for the near year old thread revival, but i'm wondering if anyone has gotten this since. It's for sale on Play.com for €16.49 delivered, tempted to get it...

Get it dude. Its worth a try at least , its awesome game , was my 2nd fav game of last year ... :pac:

• Advertisement

Get it dude. Its worth a try at least , its awesome game , was my 2nd fav game of last year ... :pac:

Noice one, cheers!

Noice one, cheers!

If you love japanesse films , you love yakuza cutscenes and story

If you ever wanted to know what walking on the streets of japan feels like
    Yakuza is the closest thing to that feeling

Its wacky fun..

Theres enough minigames for something to peek your interest ..

Go bowling , play ping pong with hot girls

Drink sake , eat sushi

Live the dream ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Slightly cheaper on zavvi.co.uk, at £11 delivered

Advertisement