Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Ladder/Door pole

• 03-04-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Evening all,
    the brother and I fitted an attic door / ladder to my house in 2004 (bought from Woodies) and just tonight, after 7 years, the metal tip on the pole to open the door has more less broken (it's hanging on by a few slivers of metal, I guess it's not going to take much more use (if any). I guess the shearing forces got to it in the end.

I'll do the rounds of the DIY places tomorrow (am in Dublin so I've a few Woodies / BnQ's near me) but I don't see anything on their websites. Ebay isn't coming up with the goods either.

Where would my best bet be to get a replacement pole? The business end is (to the best of my reckoning) 6mm*6mm*30mm oblong piece of metal welded into a metal cap that goes over one end of the wooden pole, the 6*6 dimensions being the most important as it fits into the attic door!

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yakuza wrote: »
    Evening all,
    the brother and I fitted an attic door / ladder to my house in 2004 (bought from Woodies) and just tonight, after 7 years, the metal tip on the pole to open the door has more less broken (it's hanging on by a few slivers of metal, I guess it's not going to take much more use (if any). I guess the shearing forces got to it in the end.

I'll do the rounds of the DIY places tomorrow (am in Dublin so I've a few Woodies / BnQ's near me) but I don't see anything on their websites. Ebay isn't coming up with the goods either.

Where would my best bet be to get a replacement pole? The business end is (to the best of my reckoning) 6mm*6mm*30mm oblong piece of metal welded into a metal cap that goes over one end of the wooden pole, the 6*6 dimensions being the most important as it fits into the attic door!

Cheers!

Any decent Builders providers should be able to help you out,or else got out to.

Or

Fakro attic ladder agents in Tallaght ( Tradecraft Building Products,Cookstown Ind Estate) Contact no-01 4518001,and they will sort you out with a pole to suit.

Bring the attic ladder pole with you aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Thanks for the suggestion, Paddy147, I will give them a bell tomorrow.
    Meanwhile, after a chat with a guy in BnQ (and in the spirit of this forum :)), I managed to bodge together a reasonable substitute by drilling out an 8mm hole in a 1" dowel )about 6 cm deep, and wedging a door spindle in it (filing the sides down so that it fits into the attic).
    It works (for me) but I'll enquire as to the cost of a proper one, as filing down the spindle wasn't fun and it could do with some more to make a deeper fit into the receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just a follow up, I gave them a bell today and they will call me back when they have one in stock, I'll head over and buy one if it's a good match. Thanks for the number, Paddy147.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 icejoey

You should look up these guys attic-stairs.net they fitted my for me, a year ago a spring broke on me and they came a replaced it for me for free.

Advertisement