Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Afterhours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I was banned from afterhours which I thought was very harsh.

The reason I was given for the ban, was "BS generalisations". Its only BS to someone who doesnt share the same opinion of me. So I feel as if I have been banned because someone disagrees with my opinion.

Fair enough ... "BS Generalisations" ... isn't very descriptive. You were banned from After Hours for 7 days - for trolling, according to the ban message, so I'll review the ban in light of that.
    I asked the mod to send me a link to where in the forum charter it says that generalisations are against forum rules and he didnt do so, and I am pretty sure I didnt break any rules in the forum charter as there is no rule against generalisations.

It goes without saying that that Boards in general, and After Hours in particular are not platforms for gross & offensive generalisations such as the post in question ... regardless ... off the top of my head I can think of the following long standing and widely observed statements;

See here for the AH forum Charter section dealing with opinions/free speech.

Also here where it states ... Zero tolerance will be shown to posts containing racism or discrimination.. For racism / discrimination you can read religious bigotry.
    Could someone with abit of common sense have a read through the thread in question and hopefully come to the right decision and reverse the ban.

Honestly, I see no reason to reverse the ban.

Just to be clear, you weren't banned for holding an opinion ... you were banned for using After Hours to express that opinion in defiance of the sitewide rules, the AH forum charter, and common courtesy.

This is the post in question.

Muslims can protest and do whatever they want along them lines without the loss of life, but when the boot is on the other foot, people get killed and people get beheaded. Barbaric savages the lot of them.

There is no forum on Boards where that type of sentiment is permitted. You can dress it up as "free speech" or "deeply held opinion", but it comes across as crude, offensive & inflammatory trolling, and breaches the AH charter and Boards site-wide guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

That was a good reply Trout and I cant argue with the ban now that a proper reason for my ban has been given.

But I must add that I find it hypocritical that I would be banned for saying something that has been said by other posters in that same thread and others on similar threads about Islam.

I also find it hypocritical that other posters on that thread, and the person who reported my post can advocate violence which is also breaking the rules of the forum charter and not get banned. I have said this already to the mod who handed out the ban and I tried linking to the posts in question. But I wont be linking them here as am just not the type of person who would report posts and want to see other people being banned.

Alot of people share the same opinion of me regarding Islam and I even got a few posts by other members saying I should dispute the ban. I also find it sickening that the mod Irishconvert can both condone and condemn people being beheaded in a single post and get away with it.

I will accept my ban anyway.

Cheers.

Everyone can and should report posts they feel cross the line, and let the mods make a call. If you log out, you should still be able to read threads in After Hours.

In the interest of fairness, I did read through the thread again to see if I could spot the posts / behaviour you are talking about ... the one comment that jumped out at me was also made by you.
    Most Muslims are crazy. The only ones I met who are not crazy, are the gay ones ;)

When you set about posting in future on the topics of Muslims or Islam ... maybe you should read the posts carefully before you submit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

You didnt notice any of the posts advocating violence? Maybe you should remove the two fried eggs from your eyes next time reading, or maybe you just wont admit how hypocritical it is to apply the rules of the forum to one poster, and not others. You would think that the usual inequality seen in the Irish justice system wouldnt exist on an Irish based internet forum.

I do think most muslims are crazy, but I will avoid making comments like that in future because they seem to offend some of the over sensitive Irish converts to Islam and the PC brigade.

If you see posts in that thread advocating violence ... report them.

If you can show hypocrisy / inequality / unfair treatment ... do so, and let the mods deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I do think most muslims are crazy, but I will avoid making comments like that in future ...
    A very wise decision. Dispute resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement