Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance (learner to qualified)

Options
  • 03-04-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey I was just wondering if someone could help. Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if its better suited somewhere else.

Basically a few months ago I got insured on my mothers car for the year. Three weeks ago I passed my test so I thought surely id get something back from the insurance company seeing as now I was a qualified driver. Anyways rang them (through a broker crowd) and they said no I wasnt entitled to anything so I thought not much I can do then....untill I was talking to a friend and in the same position as myself got 300 euros back on their insurance although its on their own car.

Can anybody enlighten me further as it doesnt really make sense to not be entitled to something back!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Usually people get something back, it isn't always much, but it is something! It could depend on your age, and other risk factors.

Take for example, an 18 year old male (like myself).

An 18yo male with a learner permit ("provisional"), is considered risky to an insurance company, and has his premium loaded as a result. But learner permit drivers have restrictions - they have to be accompanied, they can't drive on motorways, etc. With the new scheme in place, more and more learners will be actively taking lessons.

But then when this 18yo male passes their test, they are suddenly allowed to drive on their own, drive on motorways unaccompanied (having never been on a motorway before), etc. Actually, most accidents happen within 2 years after passing the test. From an risk-assessment point of view, that driver isn't a whole lot less risky having demonstrated that they can drive for 30 minutes in mainly 50km/h dominated streets making less than 9 semi-serious faults.

Also, you are a named driver, and they tend to get less reductions than people who have their own policy. I'm not sure why. I too am a named driver on my mother's policy, and I did the Aviva Ignition Driving Assessment in the hope of slightly subsidising the cost of the insurance. After I did it, and passed it with a 20% discount, I was told by Aviva that they can't apply the discount, as I am a named driver. I thought this was a tad unfair, as I believed passing the assessment shows me at being slightly less risky than I was considered before, but apparently not!

You could try shopping around for the cheapest quote still! Or wait until renewal time - don't be tempted by staying with the same company. Often staying with the same company is not the cheapest option. Some companies like Quinn are often cheapest at the start, but get dearer, yet some people will just renew rather than search around for a cheaper deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

it depends on how long is left on your insurance too.I remember i got €50 back when i qualified. I cant remember if i was under my own name at the time or not. I do know it was only just renewed however so gender and age have a big part to play too.

Advertisement