Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression - Being referred to a doctor in a day hospital

Options
  • 03-04-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would love some advice from someone else in the same position...

Basically I have been suffering from depression the last ten years or so. I am usually ok for a year to 18 months and then it resurfaces. My GP has now referred me on to a doctor in the local psychiatric day hospital. She feels they will be better able to keep me on an even keel and prevent these relapses as these doctors are more adept at fine-tuning the medication. Personally I am really happy with my GP, she has always been terrific and I feel there is only so much the medication can do.

I am nervous at the thought of attending the doctor at the day hospital. I don't want to be either pigeon-holed or stigmatised. My GP has always been so supportive and discreet. I'm a very private person and the thoughts of going to this place makes me feel very anxious and exposed.

Has any one else been referred on by their GP to the public mental health/adult counselling services available, and if so, how has it been for you?

Thanks a million
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement