Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

996 keeps cranking,when key is turned off

• 03-04-2011 2:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Went to start up the Ducati 996 for the 1st time in a while yesterday.Just wanted to fire her up and let her run/tick over in the garage for a while.

I started the bike,but when the engine fired up the bike/starter was still cranking away.It wouldnt stop cranking.

Even when I flicked the kill switch and even when I actually took the key out of the ignition,the bike was till cranking and trying to start.Had to take the battery out to get it to stop cranking over.:mad:

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem may be??:confused:

Pic of where the battery is loacted on the 996.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Possible ignition switch or a relay? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Start button stuck maybe...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I charged the battery up this morning,and put the battery back into the bike.

I pressed the start button and the bike cranked for a second,but then a hiss noise and nothing.Bike dead,not cranking at all.

Its not the battery as everything else on the bike is working,now it wont crank over at all.

Ive checked the main 40a fuses and the ignition fuse and they are fine

Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably your starter is fried after the marathon cranking session it had earlier.
    I don't know why your starter stayed on with the ignition off, thats a strange one.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Probably your starter is fried after the marathon cranking session it had earlier.
    I don't know why your starter stayed on with the ignition off, thats a strange one.

yep,It could only hapen to me.:(

Any ideas as to where the starter would be in the pic above?

Whgen I press the starter button,I can something click down where the battery is,for every press of the start button,theres a click down below.Is that just the fuses or a relay clicking?

Also with regards the starter motor,is it down the bottom,nearly under the engine?

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement

Found the problem.

Crudded up and coroded starter relay inded.

Gave it a clean and spray of WD 40 and the bike fired back up on the button.

I,ll get new relay during the week comming though,as the old 1 looks past its sell by date.

Thanks for the help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nice one.

Good to hear it wasn't anything too big.
    I would still check why the starter had power when the ignition and killswitch were off.
    Thats a dodgy situation tbh, you would want to make sure the relay can't power up the starter circuit with the switch and ignition off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

relay stuck on perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Glad you got it sorted. Have you had the bike serviced in the last while? I hear Bert Hallinan is quite good - an ex-Ducati Dublin mechanic. He advertises on Donedeal if you are looking for him.

'cptr

• Advertisement

Battery looks rather fcuked too.Note the buldge in the side of it,that cant be good.

But yet it was reading 12.6 volts when I put a multi meter on it today.

Bst to replace it though,Yes???

DSCF8037.jpg

Also,heres the starter relay off the bike,it was cruded up badly.Also 1 of the metal connectors was slightly bent out of line,so this could also have been the problem

I think i will replace this with anew relay,just to be on the safe side.

DSCF8039.jpg

I would also check your regulator/rectifier. That battery is showing signs of overcharging.
    Worst case the battery can split or burst and shower acid over everything:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...could well be reg/rect yes: but did the battery freeze during the frost, perhaps ?.......

Battery should read 13.8v when new.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...could well be reg/rect yes: but did the battery freeze during the frost, perhaps ?.......

Battery should read 13.8v when new.

Bike is ALLWAYS kept indoors and kept dry.

I saw one before that a bad reg/rec had cooked, it had swollen so much it was locked into the battery box on an R6.

Advertisement