Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Nut Roast Recipe

Options
  • 03-04-2011 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Hallo! I am looking for the best possible vegan recipe for a nut roast?

Want to feed my veggie friends well at a dinner party, am not sure if they are vegan or veggie, but taking no chances-any pointers as for a really tasty nut roast recipe that even carnvivores might like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Darlughda wrote: »
    Hallo! I am looking for the best possible vegan recipe for a nut roast?

Want to feed my veggie friends well at a dinner party, am not sure if they are vegan or veggie, but taking no chances-any pointers as for a really tasty nut roast recipe that even carnvivores might like?

here's a pretty good veggie one.....http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/vegetarian-nut-loaf/Detail.aspx

here's a vegan one I came across before...http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=maincourses&recipe=nut_roast but I would probably add some veg to that to moisten it up a bit. Nutroast is probably pretty forgiving so you could work loosely off one of those. Or you could make something like the mushroom gravy here to moisten it up.

where's local expert TarAldarion when you need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

--LOS-- wrote: »
    where's local expert TarAldarion when you need him

Oh, we fell out a while back/:p

I'm only messing with you Darlughda! I think you are onto a winner with the nutroast anyway, it can't fail to be delicious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Here is my attempt at a nutroast, tastes better than it looks!

SAM_0302.jpg

Recipe is something like this

Oil for frying and roasting
    1 chopped onion
    3 chopped carrots
    few cloves garlic, blended
    250g medium mushrooms, sliced
    tablespoon of flour
    1¼ cups (10 fl oz, 300 ml) vegetable stock (or water)
    500g nuts,these were expensive enough,, you can use less nuts.
    3 cups breadcrumbs
    a little soy sauce
    some dried herbs
    bit of salt
    I beat eggs and put that in too, don't need if they are vegans.
    I also melt cheese on top

Can add other things like diff veg or tinned tomatoes I suppose!

that is the where's wally of nutroasts there :P

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    that is the where's wally of nutroasts there :P

That's great-thanks for those recipes. Just realised I was planning on making a choc cake for dessert that involves a lot of eggs-so I better find out if they are vegan or veg!

Do let us know how it goes! gl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Hi First post!!

I just wanted to share this recipe as it is my all time fave for nut roast...it's really easy to make and freezes well.

450g Carrots
    90g Millet/rice/quinoa
    125g cashew nuts
    onion
    garlic
    olive oil
    175g parsnips
    1 tsp each sage and thyme
    some fresh parsley

cook the carrots till soft and process. cook the grain. toast the nuts and chop up if you want. chop up onion and garlic and fry off...add in grated parsnip and cook till browned (about 20 minutes).

Mix it all up with herbs and season. Cook in a loaf tin for about 40 minutes at 180.

I don't use a any sauce with this as I think the vegetables make it really moist. Also, if you leave to cool right down, it slices well and its great in the old lunchbox.

Hey thanks Ophio for that recipe,

Well, it turns out that the couple are veggie not vegan, but neither looked too happy about the prospect of an egg fest!

I am using a wheat free chocolate cake recipe from the recipes forum, and that involves a serious amount of eggs, so I am going to try a mix of all the vegan recipes on this thread for the nut roast.

Unfortunately, my digital camera is out of action. Maybe just as well-I'm going to have domino's veg pizza on speed dial as a contingency plan....

pizza max california ftw :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement