Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate entry to medicine funding for non-irish

Options
  • 03-04-2011 6:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi guys, I was just hoping someone on here would be able to answer my question on funding for graduate entry medicine in Ireland. I know that there are bank loans from AIB and Ulster bank that can be taken out to cover tuition fees and living costs. Do all EU students qualify for these loans? I am a UK citizen and not an Irish citizen so I'm just trying to make sure that these loans aren't exclusive to Irish citizens.

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, if there are any UK citizens on here studying GEM in Ireland, please do say how you're finding it and also your comments on funding.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Hi there,

The loans are merely a package that the banks have set up for the students. By that I mean the connection between them and the college is absolutely nothing (though they will look for proof of acceptance, and for me they insist on paying the fees part of the loan themselves through a giro).

The bank I went to was AIB. They said to me that they hadn't refused anyone who had applied and in my case it was approved overnight (I sound like an advertisement for them - and on that note things could be different now as a lot has changed in the last 2 years with how banks lend money).

The loan that I got was €100k and they absorbed other loans I had of about €18k before I started. If they aren't being so generous now, I would think you should still be ok to get €60k - €70k but that's me completely guessing and maybe someone with more recent experience could correct that.

I can't imagine you being from the UK would make that much difference if you have an offer in your hand. Maybe you'll need security or a guarantor but I think you'd be ok (again that's my unqualified opinion). Best of luck with getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

chanste wrote: »
    Hi there,

The loans are merely a package that the banks have set up for the students. By that I mean the connection between them and the college is absolutely nothing (though they will look for proof of acceptance, and for me they insist on paying the fees part of the loan themselves through a giro).

The bank I went to was AIB. They said to me that they hadn't refused anyone who had applied and in my case it was approved overnight (I sound like an advertisement for them - and on that note things could be different now as a lot has changed in the last 2 years with how banks lend money).

The loan that I got was €100k and they absorbed other loans I had of about €18k before I started. If they aren't being so generous now, I would think you should still be ok to get €60k - €70k but that's me completely guessing and maybe someone with more recent experience could correct that.

I can't imagine you being from the UK would make that much difference if you have an offer in your hand. Maybe you'll need security or a guarantor but I think you'd be ok (again that's my unqualified opinion). Best of luck with getting it!

Thanks for your reply. DId you look at Ulster at all when you were getting your loan? And can I ask which uni you're studying in? I'm a bit confused about UCC, do they only deal with BOI and you won't be able to get a loan from AIB or ulster if you're going to UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I'd ignore everything the college websites say. Bottom line is that you can apply to anyone that is giving loans aimed at graduate medicine. Though you may want to keep an eye on boards like these for contacts at any of the banks that know about the deal. The first person I approached was in an AIB branch in Dublin and she thought I was out of my mind looking for €100k that I was going to need for college.

I'm in UL and they had an info pack available on their site when I applied which would give the impression that they are suggesting Ulster Bank, who I did originally try, but then AIB were giving a better rate. I also called BOI but they were (at the time anyway) giving a maximum of €60k as far as I can remember. You might try banks in the UK too if thats were you've been working. I had a similar arrangement a few years ago when BOI gave me money to go to college in London for a year.

Advertisement