Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy on the way.

• 03-04-2011 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

As I write this there is an 8 week old baby collie on her way to my house.
    Although I've been dealing with dogs all my life I still get nervous at a time like this with all the usual questions going through my mind, will I train her properly, will she get on with my other dogs, will she be healthy etc etc.....
    It's been a few years since I did the "puppy thing" and am looking forward to the near future with excitement and a little trepidation.
    The house and surroundings are puppy proofed and I think I have everything I need for her, so there is nothing left to do now but wait, (I'm posting here to keep my mind occupied :)).
    I really hope I do well by her and can give her a good and happy life, and I hope she doesn't mind an 8 mile (round trip) trot next to a bicycle, to and from the beach and woods every day :D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hee hee good luck - but I wouldn't be doing that 8 mile round trip trot for the next 12 months!!

The latest wisdom on exercising your pup is 5 minutes per month of life - so in other words a 6 month old pup would get a 30 min walk a day. There's evidence that pounding the pavements for hours daily puts undue strain on soft puppy bones and developing joints - and all such wear and tear is to be avoided in early life to prolong your dog's arthritis-free years. Even agility training isn't to be started until at least 12 months and that's all to do with the dog not jumping and putting wear on the hips, elbows and knees.

Otherwise, pics please when she gets there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Hee hee good luck - but I wouldn't be doing that 8 mile round trip trot for the next 12 months!!
    Assuming I would force the horror of an 8 mile trek on an 8 week old pup is a bit disingenuous, I did mention I have been dealing with dogs all my life (and I'm not a kid ;)).
    It's gonna be a long time before the 4 of us can trot together along that route. I only mentioned it to give an idea of the life she can expect with me.

Anyway thanks for the reply and I'll post a pick when things settle down later, Cheers!!

Assuming I would force the horror of an 8 mile trek on an 8 week old pup is a bit disingenuous, I did mention I have been dealing with dogs all my life (and I'm not a kid ;)).

Sorry - in future I'll make sure to read between the lines of your apparently straightforward posts (have to stop short of telepathy though, can't quite manage that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is she there yet? :D

The new arrival. :D
    She is asleep on my lap at the moment, I'm trying to type this without disturbing her.

The Sweeper....Thanks for the bit of sarcasm on this wonderfully sunny and joy filled day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Awww - she's a little darling! Have fun and take no notice of the sarcasm...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

The new arrival. :D
    She is asleep on my lap at the moment, I'm trying to type this without disturbing her.

The Sweeper....Thanks for the bit of sarcasm on this wonderfully sunny and joy filled day.

Very cute, congratulations.

Ignore the sarcasm, it's rife with people thinking they own a public forum.

The OP overreacting with unnecessary snottiness to a perfectly reasonable and informative reply, in context, in reaction to an original post, is what prompted my first reply.

People need to understand that forum users have nothing to go on other than what the OP posts in the first place. How was I to know that the OP was fully aware of the dangers of over-exercising a young dog? The OP says they haven't had a pup in years. The OP says they have all the hopes and wonders around doing everything properly. Then the OP mentions an eight mile round hike.

How am I to know that the OP is fully aware that such intensive walking shouldn't be undertaken until the dog is a lot older? Of course I didn't think the OP was going to shackle their pup to the bike at the age of 10 weeks, but I didn't infer that I thought that in my reply.

I posted best practice advice - in, to be fair, a non-accusatory fashion purely as an exercise in sharing information, in a contextual response to the starting post in a thread, and I got a smack in the mouth for it from the OP.

Just wanted to point out that the naysaying bandwagon is JUST as prevalent on these threads as what some posters perceive to be posts by the agenda-waving warriors.

I posted best practice advice - in, to be fair, a non-accusatory fashion purely as an exercise in sharing information, in a contextual response to the starting post in a thread, and I got a smack in the mouth for it from the OP.
    All I said was it "was a bit disingenuous", not exactly a "smack in the mouth".
    I gave no sarcasm or nastiness, that was something you have brought to this thread.

Because of the way threads on this particular forum usually go I was expecting some sort of negativity (the reason I don't post here often), though I did think it would kick off with someone saying 8wks is too young to be homed.

Anyway, She slept all through the night (on my bed) and has settled brilliantly, my 4 year old male collie-X has taken on "big brother" role and is putting up with an amazing amount of abuse before he disciplines her.
    He is a rescue dog that was very aggressive towards people and other dogs and though after 1 1/2 years work he is now the sweetest dog you could meet I was still a little anxious, needlessly it seems :D .
    My other dog (3yo female collie-X) is a bit less tolerant or interested, but then she's only interested in being told what to do (work, mentally stimulating play etc...) but I know they will soon be "running rings" around each other.
    Well off to stand outside and wait for the little one to decide to "do something", a wild, wet and windy day a perfect day to have an un-housetrained pup, ahh..the things we do for the love of dogs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I must be in a rather dense mood this morning - well that or just have my defenses down after seeing those pics - but I read the exchanges without seeing any rancour - just a bit of good humoured advice and happy sarcastic responses :)

All I can say is Doh!

Your puppy looks amazing - really glad she is settling in so well with the older dog. My two are now at 6mts and I still remember when they were close to her size (they are Bernard-Bernese crosses).

Hope you are able to do without much sleep for the next while and just in case you have forgotten - these sleepless nights will soon pass by.

Best of luck with the new arrival :)

• Advertisement

All I said was it "was a bit disingenuous", not exactly a "smack in the mouth".
    I gave no sarcasm or nastiness, that was something you have brought to this thread.

I'm not overly crazy about continuing to drag this off topic, but "disingenuous" means insincere, not candid, deceptive, hypocritical, sly. So you basically told me it was insincere, deceptive and sly of me to assume you were going to drag a pup on an 8-mile hike.

I think that's a bit harsh!

Taltos wrote: »
    Your puppy looks amazing - really glad she is settling in so well with the older dog. My two are now at 6mts and I still remember when they were close to her size (they are Bernard-Bernese crosses).
    They grow so fast don't they. I think Bernese pups are one of the most adorable creatures on the planet, with their huge feet and fluffy coats :D.

My 4yo male is actually a Collie/Bernese-X, it really is a brilliant mix, he has the gentle affectionate nature and beautiful coat of the Bernese and the agility and stamina of a Collie, win win :), though being clung to my heels constantly can get a bit tiresome. Still, now I have something smaller and a bit more delicate to look out for underfoot. :D

I'm not overly crazy about continuing to drag this off topic, but "disingenuous" means insincere, not candid, deceptive, hypocritical, sly. So you basically told me it was insincere, deceptive and sly of me to assume you were going to drag a pup on an 8-mile hike.

I think that's a bit harsh!

I apologise for using that word as that was not the meaning I intended, I thought the word had a different meaning and didn't realise the "Dis" strengthened the word so much.
    I meant "not very generous" or "not the best".

Sooo in completely other news, how's the new puppy going? :D

Sooo in completely other news, how's the new puppy going? :D
    Constantly underfoot, constantly trying to chew everything, constantly peeing, squeezing into places she shouldn't, yapping and whining everytime I'm out of sight, trying to eat everything (and everyone ;)), in other words, All is grand and normal. :D
    I'm smiling here looking at my well built, fairly large 4 year old male dog sitting bolt upright with an haughty air about him squeezed into a tiny box I have for the pup. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

As I write this there is an 8 week old baby collie on her way to my house.
    Although I've been dealing with dogs all my life I still get nervous at a time like this with all the usual questions going through my mind, will I train her properly, will she get on with my other dogs, will she be healthy etc etc.....
    It's been a few years since I did the "puppy thing" and am looking forward to the near future with excitement and a little trepidation.
    The house and surroundings are puppy proofed and I think I have everything I need for her, so there is nothing left to do now but wait, (I'm posting here to keep my mind occupied :)).
    I really hope I do well by her and can give her a good and happy life, and I hope she doesn't mind an 8 mile (round trip) trot next to a bicycle, to and from the beach and woods every day :D.

Best of luck with new member of the family.If you havent had a collie before be ready.My legs are killing me and she rounds up all kids every kid.:D
    Have a read this is without a doubt the most sound advice i have seen for collies.

Older children can be taught to stop dead in their tracks and avoid this confrontation altogether. Since the dog does not perceive a continued threat of the animal escaping, the dog relaxes and shifts into a more "normal" mode.

Younger children may be taught to handle this experience with some degree of calm but to expect a child that is younger than 5 to be able to confront a running, snapping, growling, or barking dog with its teeth bared, may be asking too much of even the most mature youngster. Parents can regulate and supervise encounters with the family dog but for younger children, this means never letting your dog alone with the child.

But even more problematic is the fact that children tend to hang around other children. Unless you are prepared to teach each and every child in the neighborhood and every child that enters your home how to cope with the dog's instinct, the dog must be locked away in the presence of non-family members. Border Collies tend not to be the kind of dog that you can let loose to run with your kids around the neighborhood. It is often the "perfect" dog that everyone felt they could trust that ends up biting a child - generally because they are trusted and thereby exposed to many more of the potentially dangerous situations.

http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html

The growling luckily or biting never had to deal with.

caseyann wrote: »
    Best of luck with new member of the family.If you havent had a collie before be ready.My legs are killing me and she rounds up all kids every kid.:D
    Have a read this is without a doubt the most sound advice i have seen for collies.........
    Cheers for that. :D
    Have been dealing with collies and collie x's for years (I prefer intelligent active dogs).
    Fortunately I live in a farmhouse surrounded by fields, we cycle miles every day to a quiet beach and walk along lonesome cliffs. I have a special bag to bring the little one once she has finished her shots and am trying to sort out some sort of basket for her so my other two get the exercise they are used to and nobody gets left at home.
    I clicker train my dogs for instant and distance obedience, so any attempted herding is "nipped in the bud".
    The collies do indeed need a certain kind of owner able to deal with the instincts and high energy levels, since I demand a lot from my dogs, both mentally and physically, collies have become my favourite (and most suited) breed. :D

Here is the reason I have the pup now. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68514783&postcount=536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

What a beautiful puppy! I'm in the same situation as the OP - our newbie arrived a month ago at the age of 9 weeks, and she's integrated well with our other 2 (11 year old) dogs. She gets a couple of 20-30 minute sessions in our field, chasing her toys, most days (the older ones have discovered a new lease of life and suddenly want to play, too) - but the ENERGY she has - she has a 30 minute doze and is all ready to go again!

Anyway, here she is - also a collie/farmdog (but we feel there's some spaniel in there somewhere!) And yes, she has odd eyes (heterochromic), but can see perfectly well, says our vet. We're not intending to breed from her, and will be getting her spayed before her first season. She's had all her innoculations/vaccinations too.

I-am-growing.jpg

Roisin-eyes.jpg

Hope you get as much joy from your pup as we're getting from ours - she's a handful, but so much fun!

Darkginger wrote: »
    What a beautiful puppy! I'm in the same situation as the OP - our newbie arrived a month ago at the age of 9 weeks, and she's integrated well with our other 2 (11 year old) dogs............

Thanks Darkginger, that is some classy looking dog, all the best to her, starting out on the big adventure of life. :D

Advertisement