Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa debit card fraud

Options
  • 03-04-2011 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

Maybe somebody can explain a couple if things to me.

I've just been scammed for €1600 from my PTSB visa debit card. They texted to say to ring them, and there's a long list of transactions. Some have gone through, and some pending, and they started on the 30th. Cardc cancelled now, obviously.

1) I had been checking my online banking more-or-less daily (as I knew a website I use had has a breach), but none of these transactions show up on it (but other genuine transactions I've made since the 30th are there). Does it just depend how long it takes the retailer to process the charge?

2) As it's a debit card rather than a credit card, does that mean I have less chance of getting this money back? I've read a few things about that, but can't see a definitive answer.

3) The guy on the phone cancelled the card, and said he's sending me out a form to bring to the Guards to sign and then send back to the bank. And that seems to be it, he was fairly blase about it. Does that sound right, that I just fill in this form and then hope for the best?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

did you call the number given in the sms message?

In this cases, its always good to call the banks official number that can be found from the debit card.

Here Ptsb is warning ab. the sms scam

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/aboutus/needhelp/security/fraudandscams/

Its strange that nothing unusual is visible when you login to your account, so i would double check with the bank, or maybe they have already taken care of the fraudalent transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Hi

Thanks for reply.

It wasn't the SMS based scam, it was an online shop having a security breach a few weeks ago, but the fraudsters only using my details now.

Rang the bank and they're cancelling what transactions they can, and sending me the form. It just seems a bit odd that he was very laid back, and also that I can;t see the transactions (so as far as I can see the money isn't gone yet, so I'm keeping fingers crossed!).

I'll ring them again to get them to explain exactly which transactions have gone through and which haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sometimes transactions made on Fridays do not show up till Monday. its really annoying if you have a good bit of stuff to do on a day off, I end up keeping all receipts in sequence in my purse.

Then on Monday your poor all of a sudden!

In theory, Fridays / Sat are the best days to de-fraud someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I think you may have misunderstood the first reply there.

How do you know that that text is from the bank? Did you ring the number in the text or the official bank number? Or did you check out that the number to ring in the text was genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Not all charges on the card will show up online apprently.

I got a similar text from PTSB a few days ago but since I'm wary of scams I went to PST homepage and rang the official number.
    It turned out that this one was legit. While I had been abroad someone had used my card to buy stuff online and also top up their phone and other things (even paid their car insurance lol).
    Don't know how they managed to get my details as I'm very aware of skimming and internet security, but I guess it goes to show this can happen to anyone, not just grannys and newbs.
    From +35387(....)
    -SMS@permanenttsb.ie
    Can you contact us as soon as possible on 00353(....) regarding your Visa account.
    Do not reply by text,
    Thank you
    While chatting to them they cancelled my card and arranged for a new one.
    They sent me a letter with the charges that was fraudulent and I went and got that signed by the Gardai and mailed it back today.

I just hope I get it all back, was more than 2 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You will get all the money back. The forms they are sending you will detail all the fraud transactions. Double check to make sure they are all on it.

When they get it back they will issue the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Not all charges on the card will show up online apprently.

I got a similar text from PTSB a few days ago but since I'm wary of scams I went to PST homepage and rang the official number.
    It turned out that this one was legit. While I had been abroad someone had used my card to buy stuff online and also top up their phone and other things (even paid their car insurance lol).
    Don't know how they managed to get my details as I'm very aware of skimming and internet security, but I guess it goes to show this can happen to anyone, not just grannys and newbs.

While chatting to them they cancelled my card and arranged for a new one.
    They sent me a letter with the charges that was fraudulent and I went and got that signed by the Gardai and mailed it back today.

I just hope I get it all back, was more than 2 grand.
    Surely they can be traced if they paid their Car insurance???

Advertisement