Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much can I get away with in an essay?

• 03-04-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I was just wondering if there is a limit to how much you can make up in your Irish essays. I don't tend to be able to show how much Irish I have in the story, so I tend to go for an essay or article question.
    I know that you're allowed to make up statistics, but can you make up other stuff, eg talk about aliens or say that Ireland is still a farming country but we'll all live on the moon in about ten years time.
    I don't know why, but I find it very difficult to write about real things and I do have the vocab to just make random things up like that, but I'm worried that if I answer like that to a serious title, will the examiner just think I'm taking the piss, or would I not get many marks for subject matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I was just wondering if there is a limit to how much you can make up in your Irish essays. I don't tend to be able to show how much Irish I have in the story, so I tend to go for an essay or article question.
    I know that you're allowed to make up statistics, but can you make up other stuff, eg talk about aliens or say that Ireland is still a farming country but we'll all live on the moon in about ten years time.
    I don't know why, but I find it very difficult to write about real things and I do have the vocab to just make random things up like that, but I'm worried that if I answer like that to a serious title, will the examiner just think I'm taking the piss, or would I not get many marks for subject matter?
    Why not?

It's 80 marks for grammar and 20 marks for content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd say its like debating, where you can make up stuff as long as its not totally wild and outlandish. Like you could say in 50 years we'll be living on the moon thats (somewhat) more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I know that only 20 marks go for subject matter, but I'm aiming for an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I know that only 20 marks go for subject matter, but I'm aiming for an A1
    There's no rule against making things up, but try to stay somewhat within the subject matter. Don't just write a random essay that has absolutely nothing to do with the title.

Advertisement