Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on phone broadband and TV packages Cork city

Options
  • 03-04-2011 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all

Am returning to Cork at the end of the month after been abroad for the last 3.5 yrs.
    am moving to the asmount court estate silversprings and looking for the best company for phone broadband and TV. Before moving abroad i had chorus for TV and phone and found them very reasonable but now that UPC have taken them over they said that we would only be able to get TV on their package. They seem to be the most reasonable that i can find but i cant understand why we can only get TV now whereas we were able to get TV and phone before.
    All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

homesoon wrote: »
    Hi all

Am returning to Cork at the end of the month after been abroad for the last 3.5 yrs.
    am moving to the asmount court estate silversprings and looking for the best company for phone broadband and TV. Before moving abroad i had chorus for TV and phone and found them very reasonable but now that UPC have taken them over they said that we would only be able to get TV on their package. They seem to be the most reasonable that i can find but i cant understand why we can only get TV now whereas we were able to get TV and phone before.
    All advice welcome

Whatever way you decide to go, http://www.ratemyisp.ie is worth checking out first. I do work for an Internet provider myself but as we don't cover Cork city I cannot see any conflict of interest in me posting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Had the same issue with UPC when I moved to Douglas a year ago.

Rang them again a few months ago and they had put down the fibre optic cable in my area and it was good to go.

The other providers just don't come close imo. Customer service is also vastly improved on when it was Chorus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 homesoon

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd highly recommend UPC aswell, was with them when I lived in Glasheen and the service was greatly increased compared to when it was Chorus.

Currently using Smart ( :o ) and will change back to UPC when its available in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kobe8

I recommend UPC, was with them for the last 12 months until I moved to Ashmount Silverpoint where unfortunately there is no coverage.. as you posted.. My neighbor has wireless broadband from Nova Network and he's happy.. but for me having 30MBit broadband (UPC) and changing to 'up to' 7MBit for the same money its a bit unfair. Anyway if you'll come up with some good provider let me know, cheers.
    Currently using Meteor Hotspot but no comment.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Is it possible to get UPC broadband without phone and tv service or do they screw you with a standing charge?

I'd like fast broadband at home but have no need for a landline and don't need multichannel as already have Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

I use them for broadband and phone .. no television. There's a €7.50 charge a month for not taking the television.
    According to their website you can select broadband only but the 7.50 charge still applies

Jon_459 wrote: »
    I use them for broadband and phone .. no television. There's a €7.50 charge a month for not taking the television.
    According to their website you can select broadband only but the 7.50 charge still applies

That's a bummer - I'd like fast broadband but I hate idea of paying an extra €90 year on top of the charges just 'cos I don't take the full service.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Just look at it this way -- if they advertise 30Mb Broadband for €42 a month, just tell yourself it's going to cost you €49.50 :D

Jon_459 wrote: »
    Just look at it this way -- if they advertise 30Mb Broadband for €42 a month, just tell yourself it's going to cost you €49.50 :D

:D

I feel like Jack Nicholson in "Five Easy Pieces" in the chicken salad sandwich scene:

"…now all you have to do is hold the television service, give me the broadband, give me a bill for the television and broadband service, and you haven't broken any rules."

• Advertisement
Advertisement