Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Security 2011 Virus

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

gonna wait til tomorrow to try and remove this ''Vista Security 2011''

I'm the OP and I have to say that if you take the time to read through the thread it will help you get it sorted....time well spent if you don't want a sluggish infected PC/laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Just got a similar situation. The program ran with the name "Vista Total Security"

I'm guessing this is the same thing? I guessed it was a virus. I can see how people who aren't very tech savy would be thrown though. It looks very real.

It seems to have prevented me from running MSE, which was working fine earlier. When I try and run it from where it's pinned in the start menu it says the file may have been moved or deleted.

I have Superantispyware installed anyway and am running that. I haven't rebooted yet.

I'll see what it comes back with. I assume I'm best off following the instructions here and rebooting in safe mode etc just to be safe anyway?

Edit: Susperantispyware picked up something and removed it, but when I rebooted in safe mode and tried to run MSE the malware ran again... I can't access MSE at all, it's been renamed or something.

Gonna download malwarebytes and try and get it sorted

Ok so I put the malwarebytes installer on the infected computer, but even in safe mode the malware is running and I can't install malwarebytes....

What should I do to get around this?

I'm running Vista by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi,

Your detection of a potential piece of Malware may be determined by your technical expertise. If you are computer savvy you might try to download Sysinternals from the Microsoft website. It provides an excellent suite of tools that can be used for malware detection and removal. I have a bit of a description on what tools to use and what to use them for here. It's a bit rough and I am updating it at the moment but it might prove a good start.

Hope that helps.
    Cathal

Hi Cathal, I actually got it sorted.

I changed the file name of the malware from the task manager, then ended the process. This let me install the malwarebytes and when I ran it it detected the problem.

All is running well now. This Thread was helpful.

But I would say for anyone who is still having this start in safe mode to rename the file and end the process and then install malwarebytes. It worked for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement