Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to "adjust" length of wires in 5-light pendant?

Options
  • 03-04-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey folks

Hope you can help.

We bought some of these Franklite 5-bulb pendants and we would like to shorten the wires (see-through) on them.

http://www.franklite.net/catalog/browse/pendants/fl21996887

The bulb-fitting ends have fairly solid finishing, with the wires split, sleeved and crimped into the bulb holder - ie I doubt this is the side where installers would modify.

The wires then run through the silver ring (which has screw-in grips) into the top base (sorry dont know terms), where the 5x live and neutrals are split off from each other, then gathered into two what look to be pressed gatherings, covered by rubber sleeves.

From there the other end of each gathering has a single wire into the striaght-through connectors to the house wiring.

Do you where I should short the wires?

I was going to pull the wires up into the base to the length I needed, then cut them and crimp them into a similiar concentration and then into the straight-through sockets.

My wife doesnt trust me in this idea, but as i see it, its the only way.

Thanks!
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

You sound like you have it covered...

The only advice I can offer is to make sure you use good quality connectors and make good solid connections...

Alternatively you can book a Qualified Electrician through our website ( PM me for details ) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

the web link says they are all 2m so as to be shortened on site so that suggests the wire from each is independent from the lamp to the ceiling rose end so just pull them out and shorten them up the same.
    I find these useful
    http://www.newark.com/wago/222-413/terminal-block-pluggable-3pos-28/dp/28K2061
    they are now available in most elec places here

Re SWMBO
    when I see this
    Do you where I should short the wires?
    cant fault this
    My wife doesnt trust me in this idea
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭endeval

Cheers CSU for the advice! And I will look up the site for future projects where my chances of being shot around the room for doing something silly are high!

Carlow52 - ahem - yes, a bit of a typo there :-) gave me a laugh - suppose I better show my wife the post - after all it is Mothers Day :-)

Advertisement