Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing with Google Sketchup?

• 03-04-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Haven't seen it mentioned here much, but I've recently started using Google Sketchup to put together some quick designs for things I want to build, at the moment I've only done a desk, which has yet to be built, but I wanted to build a pair of saw horses yesterday from some scrap wood I had lying about and found it useful even for these to design it on sketchup first (plus I was awake at 8am and thought it was a bit early on a Saturday morning to be waking the neighbors up with power tools)

Folding saw horse:
    153873.png

Double Desk (work in progress):
    153882.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I found out about SketchUp on the computers forum.. It's unbelievable.. Here's my own bit of metal work.. drawn and animated in SketchUp

I've a friend who is an architect, and he's dumped CAD and uses this instead for drawing up mockups of houses to show to the client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Who owns the copyright to the sketches?

For example facebook owns the copyright to all pics posted in their servers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Well you don't post the designs to any servers ( you can share models, but it's optional) so I assume anything you keep on your local machine is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I found out about SketchUp on the computers forum.. It's unbelievable.. Here's my own bit of metal work.. drawn and animated in SketchUp

I've a friend who is an architect, and he's dumped CAD and uses this instead for drawing up mockups of houses to show to the client.

I've only started using it recently, is the animation hard to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikelu

Animation is as easy as creating 'scenes' then export animation. www.Sketchucation.com is a good place for help and advise:)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Thanks for showing me this I am hooked! I spent hours on it yesterday doing plans for a garage I intend on building, I will post it up once it looks presentable, it's great for changing type of doors, number of windows etc. to get a feel what it will look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Was considering using this a while back for similar purposes. Its good to see it being done, would be nice to see the finshed projects too if you ever get to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The plan:

Wshedplan.jpg

The Reality:

WshedA.jpg

There is now a matching ramp leading to the doorway.

Advertisement