Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Tornado Season Thread

Options

Comments

delw wrote: »
    im having trouble getting on to netweather aswell jake1,thats a big one at fairview

190 mile wind shear ! jesus wept. Im also watching the kfo streaming. Must be exciting to be there, 210 wind shear now,

possibly f5

jaze ian stay off i-40!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Jake1 wrote: »
    jaze ian stay off i-40!!!
    is there any way of finding out where they are seems cant get on to netweather live

delw wrote: »
    is there any way of finding out where they are seems cant get on to netweather live

I have no idea, I keep trying the netweather.This is a major tornado. Bloody hell. Ian got his money worth.

Saying another tornado forming.

Debris ball 1 mile wide :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ian and NW team are chasing further north and are not likely to come into the path of the large wedge tornado now located WNW of OKC. They were chasing the next supercell in the line to the north and it has weakened. I think they are now behind the squall line and may be chasing from behind which is the safest place to be, they may still get good video and will come up on any severe damage after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

My God that is a Huge Tornado!:eek: Dangerous situation for those people in the path of that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Classic cone sw of Chickasha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Update, as of 2210z (11:10 pm) Ian and NW team shown by GPS to be in Enid OK, still chasing the squall line from behind, with the stronger cell now off to their south by about 40-50 miles heading NNE. Radar suggests it has weakened slightly, looked about F3 to me (and ground reports confirm this) now maybe F2. Heading for the large town of Guthrie OK after crossing the northwestern outer suburbs of OKC. Likely to be significant damage in this path. Of more concern to me now, tornadic cells are increasing in intensity southwest of OKC. These could prove to be more deadly unless they weaken soon. Also Great Bend KS in line for a tornado strike, and the DFW metroplex in a tornado watch situation.

If this Chickasha tornado continues to strengthen and becomes long track the south OKC metro area is in dire straits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Pulled this post off another forum.
    A series of tornadoes one of which is 2 miles wide is approaching Oklahoma City.

See it live right here and get the hell out of its way. Wind shears are at 210 mph right now. That would make it 270 in the vortex

http://www.kfor.com/news/livestreaming/

I can't get the live stream to work for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Pulled this post off another forum.

I can't get the live stream to work for me though.
    cant get it to work either & all streams from http://www.tornadovideos.net/live have gone down aswell :mad:

edit:got it working & watched tornado hit Goldsby,wow hope nobody in its path

I'm watching the News 9 (link posted on previous page) which has shown coverage from it's people on the ground. A beautiful classic cone in Chickasha earlier from their chasers. It's the best site to keep track of what's going on in different cells around the state at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/

list of latest watches and warnings

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=24

Read the 'Severe Weather Week of May 22 Sunday thru Thursday'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That damage trail on skynews9 is huge :(

Wonder what strength it was?

Here is the actual feed for OK County Sheriff
    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=283

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

IvySlayer wrote: »
    That damage trail on skynews9 is huge :(
    Wonder what strength it was?

If you mean the Joplin tornado (it's 60 miles from where I am currently), it is a confirmed F4, second highest. Worst deathtoll in a tornado since the 1950's.

The OK City tornado from a couple of hours ago has "just" two confirmed dead, but there may be more overnight. Weather is heading this way now- only 50% chance of rain, but severe tornado threat. Our tornado shelter is ready and stocked with our important documents, diapers, petcarrier for the cat and shoes for everyone!

silja wrote: »
    If you mean the Joplin tornado (it's 60 miles from where I am currently),

He's referring to a long track tornado that left a visible scar on the landscape along it's path in Oklahoma earlier today. It was in a rural area so it was only occasional structures, homes, and scattered farm buildings fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Day 3 summary up, http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com

and some footage on my facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=631736717

Watching the weather channel now.... shocking , tornadic storm heading towards Joplin again! :(

Long drive ahead 2moro... must sleep... hope i dont wake up to news of worse scenes at joplin! :(

Look who We Ran into!?! :D

11.JPG

Day 5 summary up! Video to come soon also! :)

http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-5-summary-so-we-left-norman-at-half.html

Tlk soon! :)

Ps , seen all the comments worrying about us, thanks for that ha! , but no need to be worrying!, we are all well equipped with technology and experience in the grouP! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

you chased yesterday? That was in a straight line and you've about a 500 mile trip to get into line for weather as I see it today [Thursday].

Did you travel 400 miles on Wednesday? TIM SAMARAS, a photo to treasure. Last season he came more to the fore and seems as dedicated as Reed was before he became a film celebrity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

the tornado from may 22nd has been apparently upgraded to a F5 or EF5!? How many f5s has there been in 2011 alone?...according to wiki 4? Any way of confirming this? seems bananas but its has been a crazy season!

As of February 1, 2007, all tornadoes within the United States are rated with the Enhanced Fujita Scale which replaced the Fujita Scale. There have been six tornadoes officially rated EF5 since February 1, 2007 in the United States.

Date Location Death Toll Path Length Wikipedia article
    May 4, 2007 Greensburg, Kansas [7] 11 26 miles (42 km) May 2007 tornado outbreak

May 25, 2008 Parkersburg - New Hartford, Iowa [8] 9 43 miles (69 km) Late-May 2008 tornado outbreak sequence

April 27, 2011 Smithville, MS - Shottsville, AL[9] 16 32 miles (51 km) April 25–28, 2011 tornado outbreak

April 27, 2011 Hackleburg, AL - Huntland, TN [10] 78 132 miles (212 km) April 25–28, 2011 tornado outbreak

April 27, 2011 Philadelphia, Mississippi [11] 3 29 miles (47 km) April 25–28, 2011 tornado outbreak

May 22, 2011 Joplin, Missouri [12] 125+ 7 miles (11 km) [13] 2011 Joplin tornado
    [edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2011 has indeed been an unbelievable tornado season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Indeed, Joe Bastardi [formally of accuweather] long predicted this event as many weather incidents were occurring in combination with each other making this year an especially potent season.

In fact last month the night of the 350 dead, it had been described as never ending wall to wall tornadoes and will be like hell on earth.

gbee wrote: »
    you chased yesterday? That was in a straight line and you've about a 500 mile trip to get into line for weather as I see it today [Thursday].

Did you travel 400 miles on Wednesday? TIM SAMARAS, a photo to treasure. Last season he came more to the fore and seems as dedicated as Reed was before he became a film celebrity. :)

Yep it's 500 miles from here to Norman OK an then plus whatever we did chasing about for storms, we has to refuel twice yesterday! :)

Yeah I Know ! I couldn't let him gonwithout asking for a picture!! He's was such a great guy to talk to! :)

• Advertisement

Day 6 summary up ( non- chase day ) www.irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com

Shatttered! local time : 2.10, must sleep! not up till 10 thankfully!

Tlk soon,

Ian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement