Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Tornado Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Short Summary up for yesterday ( Day 7 ) as it was a Cap Bust Unfortunately.

www.irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com

Stats so far: Tornadoes = 4
    Supercells = Numerous!
    States Entered= 6
    Miles Travelled= 2740

Keep an Eye out in 2moros Sunday Times and Monday's Daily Star. There MIGHT be a piece about us and the team.

Heading into Colarado 2day for another slight risk area! Hopefully cap breaks and helps storms get going.

Talk soon !

Ian

We travelled all the up to Nebraska yesterday . Got to Platte at about 8 pm
    . Went for a great meal in a local steakhouse. And afterwards we got a surprise distant lightning storm! :)
    ( didn't get any pics unfortunately )

Still happy though! :) .. There s still a chance today and 2moro forked storms.
    We shall see! , so ye , so summary on blog for yesterday .

Tlk soon!

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iancar29 wrote: »
    . Went for a great meal in a local steakhouse.Ian

I can taste that stake. ;)

Summaries 7 & 8 now up!

http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-8-summary.html

Current time in Columbus Nebraska :2.05 am... sleep times me think!

Moderate risk 2moro , could possibly go High risk in the morning!, heres a hoping!

Tlk soon!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Summaries 7 & 8 now up! Tlk soon!

It's turning out great, been looking back and you've two day 8 updates. I know you don't want the trip to end, :) you've made it sound really brilliant.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds&annotation_id=annotation_472894&feature=iv

This is an amazing video, for me it shows the sheer speed at the moment of impact, we see and hear of tornadoes on the ground for even hours at a time, but, seemingly all the destruction is done in a nanosecond at point of impact.

I can't get my mind around the destructive power of something that passes so swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

gbee wrote: »
    I can't get my mind around the destructive power of something that passes so swiftly.

You really get a sense of the destruction after you watch the aftermath video that he has linked.
    You can see how crushed the building was, and how so very lucky they were not to get killed. Seems the stacks of beer cans saved them!

http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-10-summary.html

Last proper chase day summary up!

What a day too! :) , delighted!

( start with volume turned down!)

Btw we found a clip of the lightning bolt that hit only meters away from the cars on chase day 2 ( i think ha )
    ya cant see the strike but the sound of it.... :D

Hopefully have it on youtube when we get up! :)

700 miles back to Dallas .... glad i have my cushion! ha :)

Tlk soon,

Ian

Was watching your action yesterday and ye seemingly came close to some activity. It looked to me like ye were running away or ahead of the system as it went red, it came suddenly from nothing.

Ye sped up [?]281 out of O'Neill's and later a tornado report was posted for this position.

Towards midnight [Irish Time] ye seemed to be right in the hook echo area had a very red and purple spot that ye had to be looking at, I think you've described it in your blog.

As best I can tell from Google ye were just 8 miles from the reported touchdown, but google is not detailed in this location, ye headed north away from the cell only to have another one appear from the west.

Exciting stuff and your blog and photos really brought everything to life.

Thanks much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

A few more tornadoes in the US yesterday. This time in massachusetts, not the usual place for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13627044

• Advertisement

Well, Ian, Guess you're back home in deary ole Dublin now and planning the next adventure.

Riddle me this, was there a streaming video car near your location, I see a link for streaming live video on netweather.tv but it never worked for me.

On tornadovideos.net [the chase] there was always a streaming video from a chaser close to your position but I didn't take enough attention as to who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Just found this video (cctv) of the Joplin Tornado

Couldn't find it on youtube so here is the dutch link

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1507041/290f5dc2/joplin_tornado_op_cctv.html

Well, Ian, Guess you're back home in deary ole Dublin now and planning the next adventure.

Riddle me this, was there a streaming video car near your location, I see a link for streaming live video on netweather.tv but it never worked for me.

On tornadovideos.net [the chase] there was always a streaming video from a chaser close to your position but I didn't take enough attention as to who it was.

Hey gbee,

Nope , not back in Dublin just yet. Visiting relatives now In NJ until monday, back home tuesday :)

AH did the Stream never work for u?... people had that problem, it was a update for flash that was needed i think. Sorry aboout that.

The Stream which u COULD of seen was from James , he's originally from the UK and now lives In Norman , OK . He's a Storm spotter for NEWS 9 there. So ye he was with us for most of the trip following us in his STORM MOBILE ha .

Heres the LIghtning bolt video everyone!! :)

WATCH IT!!! :D , This was only Meters away from us! :D

:)

U see the Blurry DOW radar truck in the background, thats the one i took a pic of only minutes earlier ha
    REPOST HOW MANY TIMES U WATCHED IT! :D...A like and Favourite would be great too! :D

Oh and just to let everyone know, im thinking of advertising my best shots for purchase , ill be selling them as prints or on canvas ( up to A3 size , maybe even a 2012 calender. So ye... If anyone likes any of the blog ones ( they aint the full sizes on the blog btw ) and are interested , please PM me .

There will be ALOT more pictures posted online when i get home and clean clean them up , crop and what not.

So ye... thats that, hope to see some pms over the next few weeks in my mail ha!

Tlk soon,

Ian

Stats : Tornadoes = 4
    Supercells = Numerous!
    States Entered= 9
    Miles Travelled= 4860!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/meet-dub-chasing-killer-us-storms-for-fun-2666539.html

Piece in Todays ( saturday 's ) Herald about mise... No photos from article on the site though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I saw that earlier. It's a nice bit of PR for the trip and written positively too. There'll be some pulling power having had a full page in the Herald ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Very ugly looking outside in central Illinois right now and a tornado warning.
    . A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHEASTERN CHAMPAIGN AND NORTHERN VERMILION COUNTIES UNTIL 615 PM CDT...

AT 548 PM CDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR GIFFORD... OR 9 MILES EAST OF RANTOUL... MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... POTOMAC... ROSSVILLE... ARMSTRONG... MIDDLE FORK WILDLIFE AREA... COLLISON... HENNING AND ALVIN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME... A VEHICLE OR OUTDOORS... MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

Secondary Tornado season is active this evening... http://ukstormchaser.com/?page_id=86

few tornadoes already spotted in the last hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Half mile wide wedge tornado just south of Oklahoma City right now

Its like the May 24th in size .. hoepfully not in strength though.

Seems to have weakened again, a few damage reports but it was in a rural area so hopefully nothing major

Just showed a video of one storm chaser who drove straight into a tornado and flipped his car :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oklahoma tv link here,showed video of tornado from earlier.

http://www.koco.com/r-video/28806284/detail.html

just found this link. To use an americanism, AWESOME video over wichita mountains

http://www.news9.com/Global/category.asp?C=207228&BannerId=15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1LooaGhvE

Seems like it was an accident rather than a flip.

I find I'm not getting any video popouts from Live Trackers, the severe weather studios wanted Microsoft Silverlight [which I had uninstalled by choice as it's rubbish on stability].

But now it's in and only Severe Weather studio's videos pop out and work.

Discovery or Video .net live just don't show a window at all. Ta.

Hey everyone, didnt know exactly where to post this but with my faster broadband and bigger youtube allowance now and for a Christmas prezzie to all the people in the weather boards , i went along and re-edited my footage and made it just under the max hour.

Got a fright at the start when the sound wasnt working for the intro credits.
    But ye it comes on from the first scene in.

It takes long enough to load though because of the length of the video itself.
    So ye, even watch it in parts and let me know what yous think :)

Features : Lightnings ! , Gustnadoes! , HAIL AND MORE HAIL! ... A shockingly close lightning bolt! .... and of course.... 3 tornadoes!
    :)

ENJOY!
    Play this for the start ;)

I feel like I was there Ian.

I feel like I was there Ian.

But u wer indeed ! .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Planning on going again next year Ian?

Planning on going again next year Ian?

Dunno for certain ye Maq . Will have to check the money situation after i come back from Sweden . Hopefully ... either the same one again or their new Arizona monsoon chase which happens in August :)

Just watched it now, great stuff Ian, hard to believe you managed to see all that in little more than a week! Would love to go on a trip like that at some stage

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Just watched it now, great stuff Ian, hard to believe you managed to see all that in little more than a week! Would love to go on a trip like that at some stage

Thanks man... ye , thats the whole thing now if i go again i couldnt possibly imagine getting as good of a result twice in a row! ha
    Ye , i really would reccomend it!

Baords.ie Storm Chase folks ye? hahaha :D :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement