Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Tornado Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The overall death toll across the southern US makes it the second-deadliest tornado outbreak in US history, the Associated Press news agency reports.

It says the largest death toll ever was in March 1925, when 747 people were killed in storms that raged through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

wow, the footage of the tornadoes are just incredible! Love extreme weather but the death toll puts a totally different perspective on it! watching the vid of the person driving with the tornado just beside them gave me goosebumps :eek: Part of me loving it, the other part knowing the havoc and danger it was causing and just waiting for the rotation to turn, lean a little and that suv would have been gone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I saw 339 quoted today on sky news as being the death toll so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    Wahay!!! Fame at last Iano :)

Great stuff.

Cant wait for the blog from you.

Thanks Jackie... :)

Hope I get some good footage and photos for everyone to look at.

Hard to hear the Numbers from the Latest storms rise tough... :(

Wish they could all just be out in empty fields ...

Tour one has started there first day out... Live stream here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Currently they are waiting for some thunderstorms to get going ... Not much in the chance of tornadoes though.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Thanks Jackie... :)

Hope I get some good footage and photos for everyone to look at.

Hard to hear the Numbers from the Latest storms rise tough... :(

Wish they could all just be out in empty fields ...

Tour one has started there first day out... Live stream here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Currently they are waiting for some thunderstorms to get going ... Not much in the chance of tornadoes though.

yes, its hard to hear the numbers. No one was expecting such devastation. As you said it IS a pity they cant be over empty fields.

Thanks for the live stream link :)

• Advertisement

Just read that the Mayor of Cairo Illinois has issued a mandatory evac of city.:eek:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/04/29/missouri.judge.levee/index.html

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1723393.html

all must be out of city by midnight tonight.

They are talking about blowing the levee. Army Corps Engineers have moved a barge loaded with explosives into place.

Scary S***. new madrid fault.

probably not right place to post, mods please feel free to move. Just thought some here might be interested :)

Now 356 according to rte.ie . . .scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Excellent map of tornado damage with before/after images with a swiper tool for comparison.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/04/29/us/before-after-satellite-images-showing-tornado-destruction.html

They are getting it bad there with all the flooding.

Major flooding forecast.

live weather here from local tv station.
    heres news from memnphis tennesee

www.wreg.com

• Advertisement

Baseball tennis ball sized hail :eek:

Wahhh????... INTERESTING!! :D:D

Tour 1 lads stream http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Dont think there at anything severe yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

On Fox news earlier today they said in the university city that was hit in Alabama that well over 400 people are still missing there alone.

Many people tried to get away from it but it was a mile wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My cousin is still missing along with 2 of his room mates. People are still being found daily at friends houses and such. So still hope but there's been no phone calls or emails so i don't think it's looking good at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We had a tornado warning in east central Illinois a few hours ago, think there might have been a brief touchdown about 45 minutes north of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You forgot to take the lens cap off there.

Friday is just around the corner now! :D

Looks like it could be getting active from wednesday throught to the start of next week.

I arrive in Dallas @ 7.30pm US time , Saturday the 21st is the changover day and Sunday 22nd is the official 1st chase day ( but we could be chasing storms near DFW on the 21st if they are close by ! :) )

Both GFS and ECM are keen on developing and holding a cyclonic set-up across the western CONUS from Weds this week, with an attendant increased risk of severe outbreaks on each day going into the weekend and even the early part of next week as short wave disturbances shimmer around the mean low. Moisture return looks substantial, upper air temps look quite low across the middle Plains states indicating that capping issues may not be a problem and although the details can only be ironed-out at closer range I’d say the prospects for the end of Tour 2 and especially the start of Tour 3 look promising.

Really hoping i get into Dallas without delays now! :(

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=116841

BUt other than that, Woohoo! looking to be active for the start of the tour in anyways! :)

On the off chance we dont speak before ye leave, just wanted to say have a brilliant trip. Stay safe, dont be a hero :) Im envious and jealous in equal measures. LOL

Keep us all well updated, or there will be hell to pay when ye get back.
    This is a trip you will never forget . One to tell the future grandkids .

very very best of luck to you and all who are going on the trip.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    On the off chance we dont speak before ye leave, just wanted to say have a brilliant trip. Stay safe, dont be a hero :) Im envious and jealous in equal measures. LOL

Keep us all well updated, or there will be hell to pay when ye get back.
    This is a trip you will never forget . One to tell the future grandkids .

very very best of luck to you and all who are going on the trip.:D:D:D

Thanks! :):):) ... Shall do my best to get as much info back to you's all!

Even trying out now , the labtop that im bringing, its a tiny little net book of my bro's so its real hard to type on so expect some mistakes while my adreanaline is up ! ha

But ye... one other thing, i wont hav Photoshop on this labtop so wont be able to crop pictures unless i download a small programme for that.

But ye.... Time to print out my flight details ! :)

As i said b4 its looks like i could be landing into Stormy conditions at DFW on friday... i land (hopefully) at half 7 , so thats half 1 here! so ye... i dunno what time it will be here b4 i get stuff up but ill certainly will try! :)

And ye, SAFETY FIRST always! :D

Will post the next forecast for arrival 2moro morning,... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Good luck man. Hope the tornadoes stick to the open fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Iancar, I hope you have a wonderful trip, plenty Tornadoes, in wide open spaces :) Do keep us posted, looking forward to reading and dreaming...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar have a great safe time :)

Iano, are ye there yet, are ye there yet???? ;):D

Thanks People! :)

Offically Packed now! , everthing double and triple checked! :)

Not yet Jackie! ..... Nearly! ;) :rolleyes:

Arrival Post .... Need sleep!!

http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com/

Tlk soon everyone.

Ian, picasa, (googles photo viewer, quick to download) lets you crop pictures if you need to. Only takes a few mins to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Best of luck Ian, hope you have a great time over here! :D

• Advertisement

Morning everyone! Local time is 6.50am

Day 1 summary Is up on blog :)
    Here's one of my videos ( iPhone :( )
    That I took last night . A severe thunderstorm that we wer watching for a good while had a tornado warning on it for a bit , we wer surprised in not hearing the sirens go off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIsLhAFITkA

:)

Heading NE today towards the TX / OK border :)
    Talk soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement