Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has suddenly started barking at night and early morning

• 03-04-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I have two westies. My eldest is a female four year old and I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. My other is a male of 13 months old. We adopted him from a rescue centre 5 months ago. it took about 2 weeks to settle him at night but we got there in the end. Sometimes he will bark for about a minute when we put them to bed but it stops quickly. Now this past few nights he has started barking - one night it was at around 3am and the last two nights it has been at 5am and 6am. The dogs each have their own very comfy beds side by side in the kitchen. I have ignored him so far hoping it will stop. Could it be the brighter mornings thats causing it?

Comments

Does he need to be let out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I dont think so, they get let out before bedtime at 11pm and there have been no accidents in the kitchen. It stops after 5 mins or so but he has a good bark on him so I'm worried about annoying the neighbours. He's a little whiny today so I'm wondering if he anxious about something? I have no kids so the dogs get a lot of attention and they are well exercised everyday so I'm at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

My first thought is that he can hear a dog barking in the distance and is answering back.

Or there is a shadow outside that suddenly alarms him.

Think about pulling down all the blinds.

I'd also think about exercising him as late as possible in the evening - that way they tend to sleep through. If he is not tired enough, he will naturally awaken during the night and get restless and start listening to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

the blind does be all the way down in the kitchen but I thought it could have been the brighter mornings wakening him. I usually take them out at 6pm when i get home from work. I'll try going out a bit later but its just nice these longer evenings to head out to the woods etc where they can run off lead. If i go out later when its dark I have to lead walk them around the town - not nearly as much for any of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i have posted about the same sort of problems with my sons GSD, since the mornings have got brighter she is walking up earlier and earlier. GSD dont bark as such they talk very loudely. It is such a pain esp the weekends. have tried the later exercise, started her swiming to tire her out worked for a few days but back to walking us up early in the mornings. Have been told to ignore her but once im awake that is it cant go back to sleep plus have neighbours so dont want them giving out. Cant wait till its bright at 5.30

• Advertisement
Advertisement