Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin Airport showing Sky News in it's new terminal?

Options
  • 03-04-2011 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Im not some mental hardcore Republican or anything like that but I was shifting through some vids of the new terminal and came across this one. Nothing particularly interesting about it except when you hear and see Sky News on the monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_0U-GHw4Q

Now I did think we lived in the Republic of Ireland and that we would have an interest in seeing our own often depressing news and not in the United Kingdom. They use to have Sky in Connolly and people rightly were not particularly happy with that since it has no relevance to us at all. They changed to RTE now service.

Seeing this in Dublin Airport no wonder so many Brits are not even aware they are not in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Which Irish 24 hour news channel do you suggest they show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Because we dont have an 24 hour IRISH news service on tv, except airtel and as it is a International airport sky is recognized worldwide. mo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jhegarty wrote: »
    Which Irish 24 hour news channel do you suggest they show ?

rte news now maybe?

http://www.rte.ie/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Although, i am sick of Sky News on everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

rte news now maybe?

http://www.rte.ie/news/

Come on. Thats not a 24 hour news channel. All it does is loop the last news transmission. Not particularly useful if you want to catch the results of the game that finished at 3pm but are stuck watching the repeat of the 1o'clock news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

They could at least have something of a bit higher quality than the repetitive crap that Sky show all day... maybe something like Euronews, CNBC, CNN or BBC24 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

mgmt wrote: »
    Come on. Thats not a 24 hour news channel. All it does is loop the last news transmission. Not particularly useful if you want to catch the results of the game that finished at 3pm but are stuck watching the repeat of the 1o'clock news.

I have seen RTE news now service in Connolly and find it far preferable and relevant then Sky. You just have to glance up for the headlines.

Also I agree Sky News is tabloid muck in any case.

mgmt wrote: »

sky news is pretty lame at looping itself in fairness. i agree with the above poster, there's so many better options than sky news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Aertel Pg 102 and then cycle through the headlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Telchak wrote: »
    They could at least have something of a bit higher quality than the repetitive crap that Sky show all day... maybe something like Euronews, CNBC, CNN or BBC24 :(

Sky is muck, but the one advantage over the BBC News Channel is that Sky actually shows the Irish weather. The BBC should really do something similar – a couple of extra sentences every hour.

A compromise much too sensible to actually be adopted might be to show BBC News, and cut to the latest RTE weather forecast at xx:27 and xx:57 for 2/3 minutes, which is when the UK weather is always shown on the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

darkman2 wrote: »
    Im not some mental hardcore Republican or anything like that but I was shifting through some vids of the new terminal and came across this one. Nothing particularly interesting about it except when you hear and see Sky News on the monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_0U-GHw4Q

Now I did think we lived in the Republic of Ireland and that we would have an interest in seeing our own often depressing news and not in the United Kingdom. They use to have Sky in Connolly and people rightly were not particularly happy with that since it has no relevance to us at all. They changed to RTE now service.

Seeing this in Dublin Airport no wonder so many Brits are not even aware they are not in the UK.

award to most pointless thread goes to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

AIB do it too.

They'd be better off changing between various news channels every so often.

Why anyone in Ireland would watch SN is beyond me. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gripen

Def agree, a mix between RTE TV3 TG4 Euronews and France 24 would be good. A better reflection of the country for visitors, there seems to be an over emphasis on being PC, ie if you're anti Sky News you're anti-British, that's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

oharach wrote: »
    The BBC should really do something similar – a couple of extra sentences every hour.

I don't think the BBC care about another countries weather, who's people don't pay its licence fee. RTE doesn't show London's weather! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sky News? You were lucky. Back in my day (1970's) Dublin airport had a couple of moulded plastic chairs that had a tiny inbuilt black-and-white TV. If you wanted to watch RTE for 10 minutes you had to put 10p in the slot. Pretty useless as the single RTE TV channel of the day used to commence it's programmes at 6pm.

If you watch the film All the King's Men the same chairs appear in one of the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

RTÉ are going to be launching a 24hour news channel as part of Digital rollout right? Perhaps when that's up and running ye see Dublin Airport switching. I wouldn't hold my breath though

Sky News? You were lucky. Back in my day (1970's) Dublin airport had a couple of moulded plastic chairs that had a tiny inbuilt black-and-white TV. If you wanted to watch RTE for 10 minutes you had to put 10p in the slot. Pretty useless as the single RTE TV channel of the day used to commence it's programmes at 6pm.

If you watch the film All the King's Men the same chairs appear in one of the scenes.

that's luxury compared to those feckin steel chairs that you can't have a grand snooze in these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

BBC World News or Euronews would be more appropriate. I think its a bit stupid that in this day and age a country of 5 million does not have a 24 hour news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

dubhthach wrote: »
    RTÉ are going to be launching a 24hour news channel as part of Digital rollout right? Perhaps when that's up and running ye see Dublin Airport switching. I wouldn't hold my breath though

That still probably won't show live news. I don't want to watch the 1pm news at 5pm, the world moves faster than that.

If I could decide I would put euronews on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Euronews tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sky News? You were lucky. Back in my day (1970's) Dublin airport had a couple of moulded plastic chairs that had a tiny inbuilt black-and-white TV.

Reminds me of a night in the airport in Rome. The main international one, I forgot the official name. Possibly Da Vinci
    The choice between sleeping on a metal chair or a wide windowsill with a draught.
    And the one decent place I found I was kicked out by security and told to go another area.

Dublin Airport is luxurious in comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is a non issue in my opinion. It's an international airport, and it needs a 24-hr news channel with international recognition. I've watched Sky News at airports in Munich, Detroit and Stockholm.

Besides, RTE News has no rhyme nor reason to the sequencing of its reportage. It jumps from national news to regional news to international news; then back to regional news and national news. It's an awful news service, inward looking and all too often devoid of serious analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Sky is muck, but the one advantage over the BBC News Channel is that Sky actually shows the Irish weather. The BBC should really do something similar – a couple of extra sentences every hour.

A compromise much too sensible to actually be adopted might be to show BBC News, and cut to the latest RTE weather forecast at xx:27 and xx:57 for 2/3 minutes, which is when the UK weather is always shown on the BBC.

Isn't there a world version of BBC News that shows the weather everywhere? Probably more appropriate in an airport terminal than local weather.

I'm guessing that Sky might be paying for the privelidge or perhaps there's some other commercial deal.

Sky does heavily loop their stories and very apparent on "slow news days". It would be good to see RTE News Now up there even if they don't have the resources to match Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I don't think the BBC care about another countries weather, who's people don't pay its licence fee. RTE doesn't show London's weather! :p

But BBC N Ireland weather now shows the Republic, and RTE have always shown N Ireland. It's not necessarily about who pays the licence fee – rather about providing a useful service.
    Isn't there a world version of BBC News that shows the weather everywhere? Probably more appropriate in an airport terminal than local weather.

Yeah, BBC World, but with the whole world to cover, it has very little focus on Europe, where the vast majority of people are actually flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They got rid of radio in work and now have Sky news on all day - its so boring and not relevant to us here, but I suppose if there is an international incident involving a site we have then it makes sense to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

You know how i know that you've no life?

WARNED ~ MOD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tremelo wrote: »
    This is a non issue in my opinion. It's an international airport, and it needs a 24-hr news channel with international recognition. I've watched Sky News at airports in Munich, Detroit and Stockholm.

Besides, RTE News has no rhyme nor reason to the sequencing of its reportage. It jumps from national news to regional news to international news; then back to regional news and national news. It's an awful news service, inward looking and all too often devoid of serious analysis.

Seems ok in Connolly. It scrolls through the headlines and provides business, weather and other imagery. All im saying is it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

A compromise much too sensible to actually be adopted...
    Yes, everyone who runs everything is an idiot far too short-sighted to see the eminent sensibleness of your ideas.
    ...might be to show BBC News, and cut to the latest RTE weather forecast at xx:27 and xx:57 for 2/3 minutes, which is when the UK weather is always shown on the BBC.
    How do you propose that Dublin Airport put this into practice? How do they get their hands on the RTÉ weather? Do they stream it from the internet? Sky+ it? Who's going to insert these forecasts at 27 and 57 minutes past the hour? It can't be automated because the BBC News Channel doesn't always run to an exact timetable. I don't think DAA really considered these complicated and expensive demands from people when they decided to lob Sky News on a few screens in the airport to keep people from getting bored.

And, indeed, after DAA has employed someone to sit in a room with the Sky remote and a laptop, they may come to the horrible realisation that nobody in the airport gives a monkeys about the weather in Ireland.

This idea manages to be both unworkable and pointless. Quite an achievement.
    It's not necessarily about who pays the licence fee – rather about providing a useful service.
    It's entirely about the licence fee. The BBC do not (and indeed should not) take in to their consideration "providing a useful service" for Ireland.
    Yeah, BBC World, but with the whole world to cover, it has very little focus on Europe, where the vast majority of people are actually flying.
    I really don't think people are only interested in the weather or news in the country they are flying to. People tend to look that up themselves anyway if they're interested. As I said, the purpose of these screens is, I'd imagine, to keep people from getting bored. As such I think BBC World would be the ideal choice for a non-UK centric channel.
    darkman2 wrote: »
    Seems ok in Connolly. It scrolls through the headlines and provides business, weather and other imagery. All im saying is it is there.
    The service in Connolly and Busaras is not RTÉ News Now, the TV channel. It's a big advertising screen showing brief headlines from an RSS feed (or something similar) in order to get people's attention for the ads it subsequently shows. It's just branded as RTÉ News Now. It's not really suitable for display on regular TVs in departure lounges, as there is no sound and the content is looped about every 5 minutes. At least a rolling news channel tends to have about an hour of content.

The actual RTÉ News Now can be viewed here. As has been said, it just loops the last bulletin shown on RTÉ One. It's a bit embarrassing and crap and is really just an interim thing from RTÉ until they can afford to do something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

Looks like someone from daa was reading this thread.
    RTE News Now is now being broadcast on the tv's in t2. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

It should be RTE News Now or Euronews. Ideally DAA could work with RTE to make a custom RTE News Now, like they have on outdoor advertising screens. But seeing as RTE are formally launching the channel next month, RTE News Now all the way. The only issue is, it repeats, and repeats alot. That might change next month.

Advertisement