Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin Airport showing Sky News in it's new terminal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

To be fair CNNI would probably be preferred to Euronews in the terminal areas connecting to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

DAA must be reading Boards. The tv in arrivals had RTE News Now on all day today and the tv's down on Pier E had RTE News Now on when i was down there earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

just turn all the tellies off. cant we get a bit of peace and quiet. not the latest who;s shooting , bombing, stabbing, shaggin who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye rte eurosport cnn france 24 somethin like that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always assumed everywhere showed Sky News due to copyright /public broadcasting issues.

Seems strange that the only channel being shown in most public spaces is Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

RTÉ News Now may mostly show the previous headlines, but when there's an important event, they switch to a live feed. Admittedly this is usually when they interrupt main programming on RTÉ 1 or 2, but sometimes they don't cut back as soon on RTÉ News Now. One would expect that to expand.

I think it makes more sense than the Sky News style thing of re-presenting the same news over and over with a slightly different spin until you're driven nutty (often it's a skateboarding otter or something anyway).

Also RTÉ News Now shows any other relevant programming, e.g. current affairs programmes, when it is on other channels (RTÉ 1 or 2). The advantage to these being on RTÉ News Now as well is that you have a single channel feed for specifically the situations mentioned in this thread (public spaces etc). For ordinary viewers, some may want to combine such programming with the tickers that RTÉ News Now have.

It's one of the few sensible and at least slightly original things that RTÉ have done in decades, even if in a sense it is just because they can't afford a true 24 hour rolling news. I think some commentators on here need to get over an inferiority complex about our national broadcaster not having the resources for a Sky News type channel. Who cares? Consider the advantages over Sky News (and regardless of any concerns about the quality of RTÉ News coverage I would argue it is more relevant to Irish viewers and at times better news presentation too).

It's only by supporting these kind of endeavours that services in this country will improve. Just right that DAA now have RTÉ News Now on their screens - it is entirely appropriate and genuinely more useful than Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Whatever about Sky News.... they should have at least one working ATM in Terminal 1. Flew out of Dublin on Sunday morning and I couldn't find a working ATM after security - one that used to be right beside the security area had been removed and another one was Out of Order.
    Got back to Dublin Airport yesterday evening, my flight was early. I had a bus booked for 21:30 (non-express) but I should have been able to get an earlier bus (last express of the day to Athlone) at 20:20 because my flight was early. The earlier bus was with a different bus company so I would have had to pay; I didn't mind that at all if it meant getting home an hour and a half earlier. I had no cash so I needed to quickly run to an ATM - I went to four ATMs in T1 and all of them were Out of Order. What a ****ing joke! Missed the early bus because of it. :mad:

Imagine being a tourist arriving in the country's main airport after a long flight and not being able to get any cash from an ATM for a bus or taxi. Not a good first impression and first impressions certainly last! Well done Bank of Ireland :rolleyes:

Advertisement