Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs are so overrated

• 03-04-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Dogs are incredibly overhyped in society and popular culture. Anytime a dog does something good (such as rescue a family member from a burning house etc) the dogs always gets praised, it is always because it is such a "good dog". But when the dog does something bad, like bite an innocent passerby it is always the fault of the owner for not training it properly. The owner will always get blamed for bad stuff, but never ever praised for when he/she trains a dog well.

Also, any of the good aspects of a dog (being very social, playful etc) are always used as reason for why dogs are so great, but any of the negative traits of dogs (humping, drooling, constant neediness, barking for no reason, whining for attention etc) is always seen as the fault of humans for "making them that way" over many thousand years of domestication. Its a joke, you have animal lovers going on about how dogs are loyal and they will never let you down while humans are apparantly the scurge of the earth, yet these people never actually bother to realise that dogs only have such good traits because of humans. We made them that way. They are only so loveable because of us.

It seems like dogs are in a win win situation. Do something good, get praised. Do something bad, deflect the blame to the human owner. Humans on the otherhand are in a lose lose. The dog does something good and you have dog lovers going on about how much better they are than humans. Dog does something bad and you have these same people giving out about humans for not being able to train them.

You cant have it both ways!

End of rant!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't comment, never ate one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

u jelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Sigh.. :( I wish I was a dog.

Especially if I had a tail!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

My dog is better than yours :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I like dogs but agree, OP. They are damn annoying sometimes and very needy. Give me a cat, any day.

EDIT: And I HATE slobbery dogs. My childhood mutt didn't lick us or slobber, he was too cool for that shít. He did wee on me once though, which was kinda funny. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Cool story bro'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Dogs are awesome. Some are jerks, idiots and what not. But as a species, dogs are excellent. Cats are bullshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Give me a cat, any day.

Scheming, machiavellian fiends with less loyalty then a politician.

The cat outside hangs around the top of the steps, most likely trying to trip people and kill them

We took in another stray cat, took it to the vet, fed, cared and housed it and a few months later it went and shacked up with the neighbours.
    She even has a new name now. Turncoat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

But as you've ably demonstrated OP dogs can and do have it both ways
    Thats whats so freakin cool about them man

How can you not love dogs!!

"My master is good and smart and.....SQUIRREL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAIGLkSMls&feature=related

• Advertisement

Scheming, machiavellian fiends with less loyalty then a politician.

The cat outside hangs around the top of the steps, most likely trying to trip people and kill them

Nah, I like their general "not giving a shít"-ness. Much better than a needy dog. Plus they are so graceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Op your just jealous coz you cant suck your dick like a dog can,i know i am.Dogs are coollllll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

galwayrush wrote: »
    Can't comment, never ate one.

Never tried chinese cuisine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think it's very unfair of you to insult the whole dog population like that, especially when they can't log on to boards to defend themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I love my dogs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Cats are far superior. Dogs have pretty much turned into scavengers whilst even domestic cats can still hunt.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Cats are far superior. Dogs have pretty much turned into scavengers whilst even domestic cats can still hunt.

Hear hear!

I find dogs a bit too high energy and it can get annoying at times. Cats are just chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

nate dogg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

scouser82 wrote: »
    Dogs are incredibly overhyped in society and popular culture. Anytime a dog does something good (such as rescue a family member from a burning house etc) the dogs always gets praised, it is always because it is such a "good dog". But when the dog does something bad, like bite an innocent passerby it is always the fault of the owner for not training it properly. The owner will always get blamed for bad stuff, but never ever praised for when he/she trains a dog well.

Also, any of the good aspects of a dog (being very social, playful etc) are always used as reason for why dogs are so great, but any of the negative traits of dogs (humping, drooling, constant neediness, barking for no reason, whining for attention etc) is always seen as the fault of humans for "making them that way" over many thousand years of domestication. Its a joke, you have animal lovers going on about how dogs are loyal and they will never let you down while humans are apparantly the scurge of the earth, yet these people never actually bother to realise that dogs only have such good traits because of humans. We made them that way. They are only so loveable because of us.

It seems like dogs are in a win win situation. Do something good, get praised. Do something bad, deflect the blame to the human owner. Humans on the otherhand are in a lose lose. The dog does something good and you have dog lovers going on about how much better they are than humans. Dog does something bad and you have these same people giving out about humans for not being able to train them.

End of rant!!

Did you get out classed by a dog again...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

You have heard of civilization haven't you? We no longer need to hunt, instead we can concentrate on more important things.

Like "who truly is a good boy then"?
    What is this fluffy thing coming out the back of me?
    and "wheres the ball"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Get a Jack Russell and see a real scavenger. All my fella is short of doing is finding Hoffa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you can't play Frisbee with a cat, the just sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Cats eat dead people even the ones they love, Dogs stay as a true companion to their deceased owner and will never eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Actually cats don't like people? was proven they go to the most unaffectionate person in a room when cats rub their scent on you it means that they are telling you that their the boss and your their b$£"%h.
    I like all animals btw but always liked dogs most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

End of rant!!
    Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Racist.

No its the Chinese he's after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

End of jealous rant!!

FYP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You're overrated OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ridiculous thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Can't we all just get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dogs are brilliant, they will sit and watch you eat and then enjoy the bit you give them at the end before their own dinner. cats on the other hand would just rob rather than wait
    the only good thing for a cat is a pillow case, bricks and the nearest canal/river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I caught a cat trying to get in to my dustbin last night. Scavenging, if you will. I threw things at it until it went away. I wasn't actually aiming for it, but I didn't tell the cat that.

Dogs > All other pets. Except maybe a monkey butler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Woof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There's a cat crying at night for the last few nights.

It would chill you to the bone :eek:
    Sounds like a new born infant left outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

There's a cat crying at night for the last few nights.

It would chill you to the bone :eek:
    Sounds like a new born infant left outside

I think if you took a closer look you'd see the cat getting a bone of her own.Cats make a terrible noise when their rydin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Dogs suck their own dicks, Woof woof!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Dogs are better can a cat do this.

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/qXo3NFqkaRM"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dogs suck their own dicks, Woof woof!!!

That's cos they've got no friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's cos they've got no friends.

Nope, because they have no grip with their paws, If they did there would be a whole load of **** going on all over the place

• Advertisement

Oh right, well that's me convinced then. :rolleyes::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I like cats and dogs... it's not football teams.

Dogs are better can a cat do this.

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/qXo3NFqkaRM"[/QUOTE]

Cats work on thought transference and don't need to talk. When my cat looks at me, I hear "fuck you, where's me dinner" in my head.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

the only good thing for a cat is a pillow case, bricks and the nearest canal/river

Maybe you should talk to a professional about this attitude to a defenceless animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

No way OP:
    The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 PM - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 PM - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine l avishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash
    or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations
    perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my
    strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an Attempt to
    disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse
    and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike
    fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities.
    However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little
    hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed
    in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear
    the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to
    the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to
    my advanta ge.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my
    tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this
    again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and Snitches.
    The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to
    be more than willing to return. He is obviously Retarded.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the Guards
    regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have
    arranged protective custody for him in an Elevated Cell, so he is safe.

For now.

If there was re-incarnation, a dog would be my first choice. They have the way to live life down to a tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

In fairness, when has a cat ever saved someone from a burning house. Cats probably start the fires to watch the humans suffer. Evil animals.

Ah no, I'm growing to like cats more.

I love cats but dayum if they were human, they would cruel lovers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Cats are so much better. Dogs smell, they are the biggest attention-seekers of all time and can barely look after themselves. Cats, on the otherhand, are low maintenance, independent and don't stink to high heaven. My cat and I have a mutual understanding. She doesn't love me or anything, she just wants to be fed and given a comfotable place to sleep for 16 hours a day. I'm happy to provide this, so long as I don't have to wash her or bring her for walks or constantly play with her. Sometimes she brings me gifts in the forms of beheaded birds and mice, which is thoughtful, and I bought her a nice collar. We don't require anything from each other except the bare minimum, with the occasional bonuses. It's the perfect relationship.

I love cats but dayum if they were human, they would cruel lovers!

Yes, sh1t wouldn't be the only thing that they'd bury in the garden.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I love dogs. Especially boxers dogs.

Whenever I see a dog I love like a boxer or king charles, I go up to them, pet them and might give them a kiss. They always return the favour with licks.

Can you imagine humans acting that way? I would be greeted with a smack if I was to walk up to a hot stranger and kiss him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement