Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs are so overrated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I love dogs. Especially boxers dogs.

Whenever I see a dog i love like a boxer or king charles, i go to them, pet them and might give them a kiss. They always return the favour with licks.

Can you imagine humans acting that way? I would be greeted with a smack if i was to walk up to a hot stranger and kiss him.

I wouldn't call that a favour, not after it's licked every dog's arse in the neighbourhood.

I've a fairly strong dislike for dogs as pets.... They're fine but I'd need to get to a very bored stretch in life to ever get one.

I've eaten dog before.. It's actually grand and was probably the most joy I got out of them in the last five years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We don't require anything from each other except the bare minimum, with the occasional bonuses. It's the perfect relationship.
    This is why I avoid excessively "catty" women as a point of principle. You can tell a lot about a person by the traits they project onto animals. And it is projection. I've known excessively needy cats, that went doolally when the owner was out of sight. Hell I've know two high rise apartment cats that freaked out if brought outside at ground level. I've also known very standoffish dogs and disloyal dogs. It's not the species, it's the individual animal, but most of all the owners projected personality.

Though no matter what ones opinion on the two species, dogs are by far and away the most useful to humans.

Me I like wolves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cats are so much better. Dogs smell, they are the biggest attention-seekers of all time and can barely look after themselves. Cats, on the otherhand, are low maintenance, independent and don't stink to high heaven.
    Dogs are high maintenance, cats are low maintenance. I like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I've a fairly strong dislike for dogs as pets.... They're fine but I'd need to get to a very bored stretch in life to ever get one.

I've eaten dog before.. It's actually grand and was probably the most joy I got out of them in the last five years.

You ate dog meat! thats awful. I could never imagine a dog ending up on plate. Mince or mutton or any other type of meat on the menu could have done you but dog?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is why I avoid excessively "catty" women as a point of principle. You can tell a lot about a person by the traits they project onto animals.

This is complete balls. Cat-loving people aren't all alike and often share few traits even. :rolleyes: Such a stereotype. Judging people on their pet preferences, whatever next?

EDIT: And whilst you may occasionally find a needy cat, they are very rare indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

meow saucer of milk for the cat people

You ate dog meat! thats awful. I could never imagine a dog ending up on plate. Mince or mutton or any other type of meat on the menu could have done you but dog?

Why is it worse if it's a dog? Have you ever cooed over a cute lil lambie?

hondasam wrote: »
    meow saucer of milk for the cat people

Original. :cool:

• Advertisement

Meh... I ate cat aswell. It's all meat at the end of the day.
    And there wasn't anything else on the menu.

Original. :cool:

It gave me a laugh :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness, when has a cat ever saved someone from a burning house. .
    Here
    Here
    Here
    :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is complete balls. Cat-loving people aren't all alike and often share few traits even. :rolleyes: Such a stereotype. Judging people on their pet preferences, whatever next?
    Nope, perfectly logical and quite informative IME. If you have a blank slate and ask someone to anthropomorphise and project onto said blank slate, in this case a pet, it does tell you something of their inner life. How could it not? If you can detach from absolutes cat/dog type thinking you'd likely see more easily what I mean. I'm not suggesting dog lover = one thing and cat lover = something else. I am suggesting that some traits may well be discernible. So someone who repeatedly points to loyalty in a dog clearly values this trait, either wishing it for themselves or in those around them. Those who point to independence clearly value it similarly. It can also mean those people have neither in their own lives so project that onto the animal they chose to have around. Loyalty or whatever by proxy. EG weak man with large pitbull dog. It tells you something. In my experience I have found very "catty" women to be more self centered as a general rule than ones who are take it or leave it types. Hence my original take that I would tend to avoid that type.
    EDIT: And whilst you may occasionally find a needy cat, they are very rare indeed.
    In your experience and how you perceive cats. Doesn't make it a fact. As I said high rise cats tend to be more needy and domesticated. Some cat breeds are more house cats and others are more field/wild cats. Similar with different dog breeds. Lap dogs that some vacant blonde bint shoves in her handbag are quite a different animal to a working sheepdog or hunting dog say.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Cats are so much better. Dogs smell, they are the biggest attention-seekers of all time and can barely look after themselves. Cats, on the otherhand, are low maintenance, independent and don't stink to high heaven. My cat and I have a mutual understanding. She doesn't love me or anything, she just wants to be fed and given a comfotable place to sleep for 16 hours a day. I'm happy to provide this, so long as I don't have to wash her or bring her for walks or constantly play with her. Sometimes she brings me gifts in the forms of beheaded birds and mice, which is thoughtful, and I bought her a nice collar. We don't require anything from each other except the bare minimum, with the occasional bonuses. It's the perfect relationship.

So cats are for people that don't actually want a pet, good to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

but cats are sooo smelly to live with, you can tell within seconds of having your nose in their hallway if they have a cat.

where dogs are more messy (and thus if you clean up after them you'd rarely know a Dog was in their home)

cats also like walking all over you personal space, e.g tables, couches (where they dig their claws into you),laundry, bathrooms...etc

where (in my experience) dogs would sit by your feet, or go sleep in the hall, or their bed.

Nope, perfectly logical and quite informative IME. If you have a blank slate and ask someone to anthropomorphise and project onto said blank slate, in this case a pet, it does tell you something of their inner life. How could it not? If you can detach from absolutes cat/dog type thinking you'd likely see more easily what I mean. I'm not suggesting dog lover = one thing and cat lover = something else. I am suggesting that some traits may well be discernible. So someone who repeatedly points to loyalty in a dog clearly values this trait, either wishing it for themselves or in those around them. Those who point to independence clearly value it similarly. It can also mean those people have neither in their own lives so project that onto the animal they chose to have around. Loyalty or whatever by proxy. EG weak man with large pitbull dog. It tells you something. In my experience I have found very "catty" women to be more self centered as a general rule than ones who are take it or leave it types. Hence my original take that I would tend to avoid that type.

TBH, I think it was a bullet dodged for those women. Yes, many people identify with particular animals but to avoid someone you may be interested in because of that - eek. Says a lot more about you, I think. The human species in general tends to be a bit selfish, IMO, it's not just the preserve of cat-lovers. I love cats not just for their independence but because they are beautiful, graceful animals.
    In your experience and how you perceive cats. Doesn't make it a fact. As I said high rise cats tend to be more needy and domesticated. Some cat breeds are more house cats and others are more field/wild cats. Similar with different dog breeds. Lap dogs that some vacant blonde bint shoves in her handbag are quite a different animal to a working sheepdog or hunting dog say.

Sigh, did I say it was a fact? I have owned many cats down the years, very few were needy.

but cats are sooo smelly to live with, you can tell within seconds of having your nose in their hallway if they have a cat.

What? Dogs IME are much smellier animals.

I have dogs and cats but the cats are not in the house, the only come to the door when the know there is food. I do prefer dogs.

• Advertisement

TBH, I think it was a bullet dodged for those women. Yes, many people identify with particular animals but to avoid someone you may be interested in because of that - eek. Says a lot more about you, I think. .
    How? It simply says that such traits that someone may over identify with would not be compatible with me(or me with them for that matter). Not really an objective value judgement, just my subjective one. I'm not attracted to large breasted women either, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with said women. Just not my bag. Sorry but IMHO you're projecting your internal worldview all over this thread. Ironically backing up my original opinion.
    Sigh, did I say it was a fact? I have owned many cats down the years, very few were needy
    Self focus again... I quote:
    And whilst you may occasionally find a needy cat, they are very rare indeed.
    That's a global statement about cats. What you were actually saying and confirming with your last post is that the cats you've owned weren't needy. That your experience of your cats can be applied globally to cats in general. You appearing to take this to heart about cat people, IE you and coming back with the oul snide digs also plugs into this. Like I said self focused. Hey whatever floats your boat.

PS you know you can have a bit of craic or a debate without getting into snide remarks, nay catty ones :D about bullets dodged and all.

PPS excessively doggy people would put me off as much as catty people. I like some cats I like some dogs. They vary. Just like people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

scouser82 wrote: »
    Dogs are incredibly overhyped in society and popular culture. Anytime a dog does something good (such as rescue a family member from a burning house etc) the dogs always gets praised, it is always because it is such a "good dog". But when the dog does something bad, like bite an innocent passerby it is always the fault of the owner for not training it properly. The owner will always get blamed for bad stuff, but never ever praised for when he/she trains a dog well.

Also, any of the good aspects of a dog (being very social, playful etc) are always used as reason for why dogs are so great, but any of the negative traits of dogs (humping, drooling, constant neediness, barking for no reason, whining for attention etc) is always seen as the fault of humans for "making them that way" over many thousand years of domestication. Its a joke, you have animal lovers going on about how dogs are loyal and they will never let you down while humans are apparantly the scurge of the earth, yet these people never actually bother to realise that dogs only have such good traits because of humans. We made them that way. They are only so loveable because of us.

It seems like dogs are in a win win situation. Do something good, get praised. Do something bad, deflect the blame to the human owner. Humans on the otherhand are in a lose lose. The dog does something good and you have dog lovers going on about how much better they are than humans. Dog does something bad and you have these same people giving out about humans for not being able to train them.

You cant have it both ways!

End of rant!!

I like dags. But they are ass-kissers. That's why the Chinese eat them. Cats are cool and sophisticated....that's why they are revered.

TBH I like both cats and dogs but for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

where dogs are more messy (and thus if you clean up after them you'd rarely know a Dog was in their home)

cats also like walking all over you personal space, e.g tables, couches (where they dig their claws into you),laundry, bathrooms...etc

where (in my experience) dogs would sit by your feet, or go sleep in the hall, or their bed.

Agree with you on the smelly cats. My two children have asthma and when we visit with a friend who has cats whatever it is about cat odour it brings on asthma attacks for my children. I also find the cat smell repulsive and whilst I do like cats I would never have one as a pet.

How? It simply says that such traits that someone may over identify with would not be compatible with me(or me with them for that matter). Not really an objective value judgement, just my subjective one. I'm not attracted to large breasted women either, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with said women. Just not my bag. Sorry but IMHO you're projecting your internal worldview all over this thread. Ironically backing up my original opinion.

Self focus again... I quote: That's a global statement about cats. What you were actually saying and confirming with your last post is that the cats you've owned weren't needy. That your experience of your cats can be applied globally to cats in general. You appearing to take this to heart about cat people, IE you and coming back with the oul snide digs also plugs into this. Like I said self focused. Hey whatever floats your boat.

PS you know you can have a bit of craic or a debate without getting into snide remarks, nay catty ones :D about bullets dodged and all.

PPS excessively doggy people would put me off as much as catty people. I like some cats I like some dogs. They vary. Just like people.

Ugh, sorry, my previous post was a bit harsh. I'll not edit it though, I'll just leave it be.

EDIT: Can't believe you wouldn't ever consider someone with physical attributes that aren't your preference though. Like, I as a rule don't like snake-hipped men but my first boyfriend was. I have preferences but sometimes the person and their personality and/or other physical attributes snuff out my preferences.

SECOND EDIT: I have worked in animal handling and different species do have common characteristics. Yes, there are differences between breeds but there are characteristics common to all.

We've been around dogs for a lot longer than we've been around cats. The ancient Egyptian kitty was a different sub species(more dog like I gather). So we're more likely to be allergic to them and have more disease issues with them. Not the cats fault mind you.

Same with cats climbing all over work surfaces. Like aggressive dogs are 9 times outa 10 the owners fault, same goes for that. I've know a fair few owners who wouldnt let the cat up on kitchen work surfaces form the time it was a kitten and the cat was cool about this. Cats aren't dumb and are well trainable. Well like dogs and people it depends on the cat in question. Some are as thick as posts. :)

Ugh, sorry, my previous post was a bit harsh. I'll not edit it though, I'll just leave it be.
    Ah no worries at all PC :)
    EDIT: Can't believe you wouldn't ever consider someone with physical attributes that aren't your preference though. Like, I as a rule don't like snake-hipped men but my first boyfriend was. I have preferences but sometimes the person and their personality and/or other physical attributes snuff out my preferences.
    Oh I've tried in the past but it just never took off. Not saying it never could, but generally I'm fairly black and white that way. That's just me though. Most are much more flexible.

I know, I've trained cats! :) And definitely against the kitchen counter thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I love dogs. Especially boxers dogs.

Whenever I see a dog I love like a boxer or king charles, I go up to them, pet them and might give them a kiss. They always return the favour with licks.

Can you imagine humans acting that way? I would be greeted with a smack if I was to walk up to a hot stranger and kiss him.

That depends. If you are a man, then yes, but if you are a hot woman, such as Jessica Alba, you can do whatever you want. :D If you look like Anne Widdecombe, I'll have to release the dog.

I like dags. But they are ass-kissers. That's why the Chinese eat them. Cats are cool and sophisticated....that's why they are revered.

TBH I like both cats and dogs but for different reasons.

This is pretty much me. Like both but prefer cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Me I like wolves.

Nah, foxes rule, a good combination between a cat and a dog.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

I had a cat once, it died it died :( mom said she was sleeping ;) she lied she lied :mad: why oh why is my cat dead :confused: shouldnt I have bought a dog instead :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i have a jack russell, she is freakishly intelligent. More so than a few humans i have come across. dogs rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i have 2 poochies and 2 cats - i also have a cockatiel thrown into the mix - what does that say to you about me?:cool:

i understand the projection thing though. my 2 dogs are completely out of their tree. the cats are on a saner footing and while jessie would have your chest in threads if you tried to cuddle her, picasso is a big lump of luxury plush cat. who goes and does her own thing (jessie prefers to sleep her days away - i share that desire!)

as for dogs being overrated - i dont think you can put the human rescuing on the same scales as scratching his arse across the rug etc. the ones that do the former are a bit on the rare side. but still most dog owners will say their dogs are loyal. most of us dont mean theyd drag us from a burning building and we are aware of their flaws (destroying anything shiny, in my house) but we look past it. as for dogs ATTACKING others etc. thats another kettle of fish again. thats behavioural and when you bring up a dog - just like with kids - you have to teach it well. so when a dog never got any training - as the owner couldnt be ars^d, then yes you can see why the dog is not the one that gets the blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

My dog is like a person, he tries to talk to me but just can't form the words so it comes out as a howl/ growl sound.
    He's so cool words can't describe him.

Cats are sneaky. Cats are arrogant. Cats are so fcuking mean they bury their own ****. I think they may have come from Cavan originally but I can't back it up with hard evidence.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Cats are so fcuking mean they bury their own ****.

And this is a bad thing why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Dogs are the business. Got a new puppy today, he's a little legend.

And this is a bad thing why exactly?

It just is.

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah, foxes rule, a good combination between a cat and a dog.
    Personality wise wolves are more like what people think of how cats are. Foxes are a bit scatter brained. My great uncle had one as a "pet", but the pet word was a stretch. Actually he was cool around him. Like a lapdog actually, but was vicious as hell around anyone else. Unpredictable too. Very like a cat as he would bugger off during the day on his rounds and then back in the evening. Like I say around him(and the aunt) he was grand. The pair were inseparable. Lived to be nearly 9. Died weeks after the uncle did.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    It just is.

Worse than leaving the shít exposed like a dog would?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I have 2 dawgies and they're awesome. I'm an animal person in general, always have a pet of some description. I dont think they're over rated, they can be great company. One of mine is lying beside me right now, keeps lickin my hand...making it quite difficult to type actually....

Yea cat or dog, hell budgie, snake, lizard, gerbil or goldfish:) they all can be great company and we can be good for them too. Hell I have turtles that follow me around and one will happily snooze on this endothermic mammal soaking up my steak and chips converted to heat. Freeloading shelled bastard. :D

I have 2 dawgies and they're awesome. I'm an animal person in general, always have a pet of some description. I dont think they're over rated, they can be great company. One of mine is lying beside me right now, keeps lickin my hand...making it quite difficult to type actually....

That's a major minus point against dogs for me - the licking. :(

Although...

very rarely, my cat will decide to "clean" my hand, whilst looking up at me lovingly. Equally disgusting, TBH. :(

Another cat had a toe fetish, would gnaw on my toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Woof!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

That's a major minus point against dogs for me - the licking. :(

Although...

very rarely, my cat will decide to "clean" my hand, whilst looking up at me lovingly. Equally disgusting, TBH. :(

Another cat had a toe fetish, would gnaw on my toes.

Awh, both my dogs are lick crazy. I dont normally like it, but its great if i have cold hands or feet, little warm tongues!

I always freak my dad out by giving them little kisses on the nose. He HATES it, repulses him actually. I honestly dont see a problem with it.

Personality wise wolves are more like what people think of how cats are. Foxes are a bit scatter brained. My great uncle had one as a "pet", but the pet word was a stretch. Actually he was cool around him. Like a lapdog actually, but was vicious as hell around anyone else. Unpredictable too. Very like a cat as he would bugger off during the day on his rounds and then back in the evening. Like I say around him(and the aunt) he was grand. The pair were inseparable. Lived to be nearly 9. Died weeks after the uncle did.

Foxes are but they are very wary but so are Wolves, you've probably more chance of "taming" a fox than a wolf. Your great uncle did very well getting that far, a wolf would be a lot harder, much more pack animals whereas foxes are solitary.

Arctic Foxes, Arctic Fox Pictures, Arctic Fox Facts - National Geographic

The Arctic fox always wins me over! Beautiful animal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Foxes are but they are very wary but so are Wolves, you've probably more chance of "taming" a fox than a wolf. Your great uncle did very well getting that far, a wolf would be a lot harder, much more pack animals whereas foxes are solitary.

Arctic Foxes, Arctic Fox Pictures, Arctic Fox Facts - National Geographic

The Arctic fox always wins me over! Beautiful animal.

I saw a programme a while back about the possibility of taming foxes and wolves. It was a lot tougher than they anticipated. Wish I could remember more about the programme, sorry!

Worse than leaving the shít exposed like a dog would?

Well at least you can see where it is so you can pick it up. For anyone with small kids it could be dangerous to have a cat wandering in & taking a dump in a sand pit/ clay if the kids were fond of a bit of digging in the dirt.

I saw a programme a while back about the possibility of taming foxes and wolves. It was a lot tougher than they anticipated. Wish I could remember more about the programme, sorry!

I was watching deadly 60 on CBBC with the wee lad, (my excuse), both very crafty, but Wolves are very wary, their leader has to suss out the storey and go from there, very wary animals. You really have to gain their trust and act subservient.

Arctic foxes are different again. No packs, hunt lemmings and things like that. Unless he's starving you'll never see an Arctic fox or indeed a normal fox. And then they do as animals do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

OP you do realise you could replace "dog" with "Child" in your post and make the exact same argument against "children".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Pauleta wrote: »
    Cats are far superior. Dogs have pretty much turned into scavengers whilst even domestic cats can still hunt.
    Tell that to my terrier. Cat's aren't superior, they aren't smarter, they are just more independent and wild.

• Advertisement
Advertisement