Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting Pets: Irish Authority contact details

• 03-04-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭

We're looking at moving to NZ later in the year and have had a search around for info on exporting the chinchillas with us.

Now I have the details for who we need to deal with on the NZ side, and what's required. (Strictly speaking you can only import them from the UK, but likely to treat Ireland like the UK IMO and we have options fort that too if not).

Does anyone have any idea who would be a good contact to seek info and help from on the Irish side of things? The Dept of Agriculture? of is there any specific veterinary authority about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'd ask for advice on this from your own vet or one who deals with pet passports a lot, if they can't help you, they should be able to put you in contact with someone who can. I know chinchillas don't come under passports but someone who deals with them will probably know what happens in this case also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If your own vet doesn't know (and most vets don't deal with exporting exotics, in my experience), definitely contact the Dept of Agriculture- they are the ones who issue pet passports (not the vet council) and would probably be your best source of information, although it can be hard to get through to them, so be prepared to be persistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

YES!

NZ Dept of Agriculture & Fisheries confirmed that Ireland is treated the same as the UK for importing them.

Makes everything a million times more straightforward, I'm so happy that we will have no issues bringing them if we go.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement