Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with Leukemia

Options
  • 03-04-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hello everybody!

The father of my son`s girlfriend was diagnosed with Leukemia 4 weeks ago . It came completely out of the blue! He had so far 5 blood transfusions and was scheduled for Chemo next week. A sample of his bone marrow was to dry and useless for any count of blood cells.
    Now he got a phone call from his oncologist saying, that they can`t do the chemo because he has no bone marrow left. He will have to wait for 4-5 months until this is back to at least 10 percent. When he has reached this number, then they will do a bone marrow transplant.
    My question now: Has anyone experience with this? Will this help him and what are the survival chances?
    I don`t want to worry my son`s girlfriend, just want to be prepared for the things to come.
    Thanks to all of you who are willing to give me some answers.

Advertisement