Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pc hard drive full

• 03-04-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Ok hears the story i bought a desktop 3 years ago and it worked prefect for 6 months but then something happened and it crashed . It wouldnt turn on anymore so i got my friend to fix it . It turn on now but i cant downlad things because the Hard drive is full . It has two hard drives because it is windows Vista , one is Recovery (C) and the other hard drive is Partition_1 (D) . The recovery (C) is full it only is a 26GB hard drive . Partition_1 (D) is 206GB hard drive but there is only a few things on it . The computer is only using the Recovery (C) hard drive for some reason how can i fix this .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

i forgot to say its Windows Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Move all your photos, music, videos to the 206GB partition?

but how do i make the computer save everything to the 206GB . I cantwatch youtube videos because the 26GB is full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

26GB is not enough for a master drive, you need to run some sort of partioning programme to take some space from the 206GB and give it to the 26GB (i'm guessing here, but they're probably the same hardrive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

but how do i make the computer save everything to the 206GB . I cantwatch youtube videos because the 26GB is full

Right click a link in your browser and choose SaveTargetAs etc depending on which browser, then choose a directory on that drive. The browser should remember this location.

Also clear your browsers cache and check the size allocated for cache, clear temp folders,empty recycle bin and probably a defrag wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Right click a link in your browser and choose SaveTargetAs etc depending on which browser, then choose a directory on that drive. The browser should remember this location.

Also clear your browsers cache and check the size allocated for cache, clear temp folders,empty recycle bin and probably a defrag wouldn't be a bad idea.

thats not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Download Partition Wizard and make a Bootable CD

Either resize the partition C: (Making C: bigger, and D: smaller)

Or make D: primary and C: Logical.

Either way works.

EDIT:

I just realised you can't download, because of Full drive. :o

Instead, download THIS To your USB key. Remember to choose "Stand Alone Version" from the drop down list, and then run it from your USB drive. Go to the "Settings" Tab, and checkmark "Move Files". So it will move them instead of copying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Open windows explorer
    right click on c:
    click properties
    Click disk cleanup
    click more options tab
    click clean up under system restore
    click delete
    click disk cleanup tab
    tick all boxes and click ok

Allyall wrote: »
    Download Partition Wizard and make a Bootable CD

Either resize the partition C: (Making C: bigger, and D: smaller)

Or make D: primary and C: Logical.

Either way works.

EDIT:

I just realised you can't download, because of Full drive. :o

Instead, download THIS To your USB key. Remember to choose "Stand Alone Version" from the drop down list, and then run it from your USB drive. Go to the "Settings" Tab, and checkmark "Move Files". So it will move them instead of copying them.

That diidnt work it wont leave me make C bigger

how do i make D primary

did you try my previous post sean? It should clean up the drive enough (or perhaps a lot) to allow you to download some software

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    did you try my previous post sean? It should clean up the drive enough (or perhaps a lot) to allow you to download some software
    i tried that it only gave me 128mb of space

you cant make d: primary drive
    you've got to uninstall some programs and/or move files (docs pics etc...) to the d: drive
    and follow
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71506310&postcount=8

how can i watch youtube videos is it possible to change the tempary downloads for youtube videos onto my other hard drive D

here is a screen shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Mmmm, aint screwed about lately on pc's but.....

.....aint C: meant to be just the recovery drive. Wouldnt it be sumfin like copy it over till D: and run the programs from it or sumfin.

Know the recovery partitions been hidden on some laptops have used but more or less the recovery program sorted them out and had it hidden again once main part was sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

That diidnt work it wont leave me make C bigger

how do i make D primary

It's an option within Partition wizar, when you either right ckick on the drive and choose "properties" or choose from main menu on the control bar at top.

But ignore that for now.

Do the second option and you won't have a problem.

Unstoppable copier standalone version

Remember to save it to a USB and run it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

You could temporarily move the pagefile to free up enough space to work with.
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/move-and-optimize-windows-vistas-paging-file/

RT66 wrote: »
    You could temporarily move the pagefile to free up enough space to work with.
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/move-and-optimize-windows-vistas-paging-file/

thank you that worked do you know how to make my computer automaticaly save everything to the bigger hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

did you not read the thread it wont leave me expand the small hard drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You said it won't let you expand C. This is usually because C and D together use up 100%
    Perhaps if you try to decrease D first by 10%, then expand C by 10%.

biko wrote: »
    You said it won't let you expand C. This is usually because C and D together use up 100%
    Perhaps if you try to decrease D first by 10%, then expand C by 10%.

no that didnt work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you'll have to delete some programs then and reinstall when you get some space back after the resize
    start -> control panel -> add or remove programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Burn some DVDs of anything you've created yourself, photos etc; backups are always good before this type of thing !

Also clear temp folder,browser cache,Recycle Bin, and temporarily turn off virtual memory and hibernation. Then defrag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

You could reduce the size of your recycle bin. Rightclick on your recycle bin, go to properties then go to custom size and change it to something small like 64 or 128.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

before messing with partitions please back up your files or you will lose everything.

if you can back up, do a full back up and then clean reinstall of vista. during reinstall you can re partition the drives to give you one large drive C: OS and a smaller drive D: recovery. then reinstall files. reinstall of vista is crap and will take more than a day to get all the updates. or you can get a copy of windows 7 and save the headache
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/22_SOFTWAR/02_OS/productdetails/20078630/Microsoft_Windows_7_Home_Premium_SP1_64_bit_OEM_UK/GFC_02050/default.aspx

But PLEASE BACKUP OR YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

run disk clean up, that will delete internet file and other stuff you don't need, might give a bit of breathing space. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Right click on my computer > manage > disk management
    If the d: drive is totally empty, you might as well right click on it and choose delete, then right click on your c: drive and choose expand...
    Whoever set up such a small system partition should be shot!
    I'd say expand the size of the c: drive so that it is twice the size it currently is, then create a new d: drive with the remaining space....
    If you tell us what browser you're using we can easily tell you how to change where it automatically downloads to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

no that didnt work

Disk management only frees up the space after a partition, so as I said above you'll have to delete d: before you can expand c:.... obviously back up anything that's on there first...
    I can't believe some people are telling you to reinstall windows in order to sort this! That's an absolute last resort!

• Advertisement
Advertisement