Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber floor on battens fixed to concrete subfloor - is ventilation required?

• 03-04-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I put down timber floors in my house when it was been built a 4 years ago. In three of the rooms I fitted solid ash on timber battens fixed to the concrete subloor so the make up of the floor is starting from the bottom:

Concrete subfloor (raft)
    1000 gauge polythene
    2x1 battens fixed to concrete
    2x2 battens running at right angles to 2x1
    insulation (50mm polystyrene) between 2x1
    and 18mm solid floor secret nailed to 2x1

I never considered underfloor ventilation at the time as the void was so small between concrete and floorboards (4 inch max) I didn't think fitting an air vent outside would serve any purpose but now I'm not so sure if there could be a build up of moisture in the timber causing rot down the line.

Does anyone know if underfloor ventilation is required in these circumstances?
    I don't want to fit them if I don't have to as they will just cause draughts I'm thinkin.

All advise welcome:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

draughts are uncontrolled ventilation:)

Whats the plan if the answer is yes, u need ventilation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Carlow52 wrote: »
    draughts are uncontrolled ventilation:)

Whats the plan if the answer is yes, u need ventilation?

I'm worried about the timber rotting underneath the floor without adequate ventilation, not sure what ya mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

I put solid oak flooring throughout my house and laid them on 2X1 battens on top of a concrete floor, that was 12 years ago and they're fine, I really don't think you'll have a problem, unless you already have a damp problem in the house?

TheAnswer wrote: »
    I put solid oak flooring throughout my house and laid them on 2X1 battens on top of a concrete floor, that was 12 years ago and they're fine, I really don't think you'll have a problem, unless you already have a damp problem in the house?

No, the house is only a few years old so no dampness at all thankfully, might be ok so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Same here, have solid oak, prefinish down over 10 years on 2x1, never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

• Advertisement

harry21 wrote: »
    Same here, have solid oak, prefinish down over 10 years on 2x1, never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Good, just what I was hoping!

Advertisement