Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Recruitment 2011

Options
  • 03-04-2011 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Can anyone let me know if the defense forces will be recruiting again this year or even if they're likely to recruit in 2012. My 17 year old son wants to join up and he was two young last year when they were recruiting. He has his heart set on it so hopefully someone can give me good news.
    user_offline.gifquote.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

colin469 wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know if the defense forces will be recruiting again this year or even if they're likely to recruit in 2012. My 17 year old son wants to join up and he was two young last year when they were recruiting. He has his heart set on it so hopefully someone can give me good news.
    user_offline.gifquote.gif
    Hi, any intake of people in the next year for the Defence Forces will be taken from a list of people who applied during the last recruitment competition and got on put on a waiting list to be called up. Best of luck to your son, however I can't see a new recruitment competition being held for a few years, tell him keep his head up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 colin469

Thanks Does anyone else know if there are any alternative routes that he could take, another countries army maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

As our nearest neighbour, the British Army is a common destination for many Irish men and women. There are a lot of jobs available, and Irish are accepted as officers and enlisted men. For some, there is a stigma dating back to the pre-independence days and the Troubles, but this is dying. Almost all other armies would involve complex eligibility or language requirements.

Thanks I'm not sure about the British Army. He asked me about the French Army as his french is passable, any ideas on where i could find out some info on how difficult that route might be if it's even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Thanks I'm not sure about the British Army. He asked me about the French Army as his french is passable, any ideas on where i could find out some info on how difficult that route might be if it's even possible
    As a non French National the only option here is the Foreign Legion, 5 year commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Savage93 wrote: »
    As a non French National the only option here is the Foreign Legion, 5 year commitment.

If he's considering the French Foreign Legion there are a few threads on here discussing it:

Join french foreign legion

French Foreign Legion

French Foreign Legion, anybody?

Thinking about the french foreign legion

Also a few books by former Legionnaires:
    "The Naked Soldier" by Tony Sloane and "Hidden Soldier" by Padraig O'Keefe.

And "Escape to the Legion", a four part documentary by Bear Grylls. I watched it here on YouTube and found it brilliant.

There's a lot of restrictions placed on Legionnaires though, such as taking a declared identity, not being allowed to own a car or get married.

From what I've read up about joining the Legion, it's quite straightforward but the selection procedure and training are extremely tough, both physically and mentally. Some of that comes across in Bear Grylls' documentary.

Here's a recruitment page worth a look at:
    French Foreign Legion Recruitment

Thanks, I'll check them out later

Advertisement