Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santoku knife

Options
  • 03-04-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

My local Aldi has this at €14.99 reduced from €29.99. Are they a good knife?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have an Analon one which I use for everything - it's brilliant and truly an all purpose knife.

No idea if that Aldi one is any good but a good knife in that style is well worth an investment .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Big time, I have a global santoku and I use it for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Big time, I have a global santoku and I use it for everything.

I've Globals as well I would use my chef knife and my santoku knife for 95% of all my knifely needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Thanks for replies, I've heard a few negatives about the Global knives, handles not that comfortable, not well balanced either? Obviously you pair are going to be biased as you are using them but are the above comments unwarranted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I do love mine and find they have good balance, but yes the handles can be uncomfortable.

Everyone I know with a global knife has 'the global callus' - if you use them a lot and you're right handed you'll most probably have a callus at the base of your right index finger from where the knife sits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Globals are fantastic knives and they sharpen up really well. If you get one, make sure you get a ceramic sharpner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

TheAnswer wrote: »
    My local Aldi has this at €14.99 reduced from €29.99. Are they a good knife?

A good santoku is a great knife.
    I love mine, but the last one I had.....well the handle came off.
    I liked it before the handle came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

If they are the German made Damasteel ones with a VG-10 core to them then they are decent.

VG-10 can be prone to chipping, but a slightly steeper micro bevel would sort that, or convex them.

Hand wash and dry them, no dishwasher please.

The Santoku shape is great, though I do like to use a Gyuto and Nakiri as well depending on what I'm cutting.

For that price it's worth trying them and see what they are like.

Advertisement