Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

not yet a wee bit early but wont be long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janeymacd

Yeah, that's what my Dad said too! Ah well, we'll have to wait a few more weeks I guess! Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

janeymacd wrote: »
    Any mackerel in and around Clogherhead yet? Thinking of doing a bit around 28th May.

was out there last week and nothing

was out yesterday,launched from clougher into a pretty freash wsw wind
    had plenty macs off dunnany point anchored up for tope no luck there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Anyone fishing off the rocks in howth at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janeymacd

That's great news, the mackerel are arriving :) Unfortunately I won't be launching off anywhere, I'm shore bound with no access to a vessel at all, so I'll have to take my chance with pier fishing or otherwise off the head in clogher. Might nip up to Dunnany point either. Anyone know where I can get information about restrictions etc about fishing off piers etc. Someone mentioned that fishing off clogher pier has been banned since the new pier opened up, I'm hoping this isn't true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

any good spots for mackeral off the north donegal shore line? im new to sea fishing so will be using a spinner and a pike rod :)

not true fish away till your box is full then fill another.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Hi all,

New to here and to Mackerel fishing so any tips at all would be appreciated. I have some questions the answers to which may be blindingly obvious but would like to know for future reference.

1) When is Mackerel season exactly

2) Is high tide best time to fish for them

3) What kit is best for fishing Mackerel, I have a 10' rod and reel combination with line that has a 15lb breaking strain (not sure what that means but assume it's to do with the strain the fish puts on the line?)

4) Is it possible to make up your own feathers/traces or am I better off buying the standard stuff from the tackle shops.

I like them grilled on a slice of homemade brown bread, and to catch one or two fresh would be great.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Coda69 wrote: »
    Hi all,

New to here and to Mackerel fishing so any tips at all would be appreciated. I have some questions the answers to which may be blindingly obvious but would like to know for future reference.

1) When is Mackerel season exactly

2) Is high tide best time to fish for them

3) What kit is best for fishing Mackerel, I have a 10' rod and reel combination with line that has a 15lb breaking strain (not sure what that means but assume it's to do with the strain the fish puts on the line?)

4) Is it possible to make up your own feathers/traces or am I better off buying the standard stuff from the tackle shops.

I like them grilled on a slice of homemade brown bread, and to catch one or two fresh would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The Mackerel season is between May and October, the mackerel follow the small bait fish for food and as the water warms up the small fish come closer to the shore.

You can catch mackerel at high or low tide, but usually high is better

The rod you have is fine, the line is a little bit heavy for mackerel, but it will do, coz if you get court up in weed you'll need to pull it out.

Traces only cost between €1 and €2 to buy, but you can make them, use anything shiney and not to big of a hook

You can't beat mackerel 1 or 2 hours out of the water, or even 1 or 2 mins, in some casys

Hope this helps
    MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

The weather is really making me want to go out tomorrow, anyone tried off South Dublin coast yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi,

The Mackerel season is between May and October, the mackerel follow the small bait fish for food and as the water warms up the small fish come closer to the shore.

You can catch mackerel at high or low tide, but usually high is better

The rod you have is fine, the line is a little bit heavy for mackerel, but it will do, coz if you get court up in weed you'll need to pull it out.

Traces only cost between €1 and €2 to buy, but you can make them, use anything shiney and not to big of a hook

You can't beat mackerel 1 or 2 hours out of the water, or even 1 or 2 mins, in some casys

Hope this helps
    MB

It helped me thanks. Can you please advise what bait to use ? and also could I catch them from the beach? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

You don't need bait for mackerel, just the shiny traces. Have never caught them from a beach bu I have from pier and boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

a set of feathers is the most popular and work well ! was talking to a guy fishing off the bridge in kinsale and he said he caught nothing ! might be a bit early yet but theres a hot few days ahead of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Thanks for your reply MB. I am in the process of finding a place to fish and will be back to tell you about the ones that didnt get away, (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Has anyone had any luck feathering for mackerel off the piers at Dún-Laoghaire this year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Was in achill the weekend disappointing 11 maks :rolleyes: .
    Talking to the locals fishermen and one said the storm before the bank holiday had driven them back out to the deep.

@ Mackyboy how to you make out 15 pound line is to heavy? I use nothing less than 25lbs the poor lad will be loosing rigs left right and centre if he's fishing of rocks etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm actually looking for a telescopic rod that I can take with me on my travels - anyone seen them around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers,

would the general purpose rod be too light for Mackerel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

It might be a little more fun with the lighter rod..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Sh*t rod.. bought it.. for the sake of an extra twenty euro buy a combi set if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

i agree with the buck above me here,,,lidl and aldi is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mackerelyum

Went out friday for a quick spin in our boat for the first time this year, dropped a line in three times pulled in 6 macks a go would a had a great time there only for the missus was having friends over and I had to go. Just a couple a hundred yards off the metal man in tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭biinman

im not much of a fishing guy myself but if ur lookin for mackrel off the coast of greystones is an amazing spot at the start of july every year me and my mates catch loads and i dont think many people no about it becose theres never anyone there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

biinman wrote: »
    im not much of a fishing guy myself but if ur lookin for mackrel off the coast of greystones is an amazing spot at the start of july every year me and my mates catch loads and i dont think many people no about it becose theres never anyone there :D

What part, down at the pier is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭biinman

ye you cant get to the peir any more (marina being built) but i found that just beside that theres a huge anchor and infront of that theres loads of rocks and i doesnt look like it but sometime between july and august there are millions of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

elius wrote: »
    Was in achill the weekend disappointing 11 maks :rolleyes: .
    Talking to the locals fishermen and one said the storm before the bank holiday had driven them back out to the deep.

@ Mackyboy how to you make out 15 pound line is to heavy? I use nothing less than 25lbs the poor lad will be loosing rigs left right and centre if he's fishing of rocks etc....

There's nothing like catching mackerel on light tackle, it great fun.
    As for the line i quoted, i'm so used to fishing from boats, piers and beaches, so it,s not an issue for me, i don't really fish from rock that much

MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

im fishing 4 mackeral years now de best fun 2 be had is braided line and 4ib trace line on a very light spinning road....on de float its great fun but u will lose a few if u srike 2 fast or heavy:p ..... but not me ha..ha.. folks give it ago honest its de best way;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Wow! What kind of monster mackerel are you fishing for with 25lb line? I usually use 8lb mono with one ounce lead on a nice light spinning rod - it'll easily cast 100yds and easily take in a string of macks.

I have used gear like that before, but only with King mackerel off North Carolina - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_mackerel

Advertisement