Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

medicman wrote: »
    hi all, looking for a safe place to take my 6yr old mackerel fishing Cork/Kerry area's, any helpful ideas?

thanks.

medicman

There are spots along quays, DeepWater and near by Monsktown and Cobh that get Macks and are relatively safe. Rochespoint and Crosshaven have spots that will get Macks and should be ok to bring a small child. But I dont think anyplace is truly safe so a small life jacket would be advised, they are pretty cheap to buy around Cork. Wait for a period of settled weather and an evening tide

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

stylie wrote: »
    There are spots along quays, DeepWater and near by Monsktown and Cobh that get Macks and are relatively safe. Rochespoint and Crosshaven have spots that will get Macks and should be ok to bring a small child. But I dont think anyplace is truly safe so a small life jacket would be advised, they are pretty cheap to buy around Cork. Wait for a period of settled weather and an evening tide

thanks for that, have the life vest for him, wouldn't head out without one, as you said, no place is truly safe.

Regards.

medicman

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

No results today at Balscadden, didn't see any being caught but i was only there an hour, back tomorrow for another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

Hi

What bait would you use for Mac's
    Thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

jajjay wrote: »
    Hi

What bait would you use for Mac's
    Thanks
    J

No bait needed, just a set of feathers, pink feathers or silver mackerel bashers always work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

No sign of any Macks on the Howth piers in the last couple of days although i heard a whisper that a few were caught off Dun laoghaire

Going to do a spot of Bait fishing and spinning off Greystones on Tuesday so fingers crossed a few might show

Also going to try Spinning for Bass on Monday at my "Nearby Location":D

I would love to hit into a big Bass on light tackle again

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Any updates on Clogherhead anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    No sign of any Macks on the Howth piers in the last couple of days ....

There was a small number caught on the West Pier yesterday.

Plenty there an hour ago, about 6 in the half hour I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Sparks43 wrote: »
    No sign of any Macks on the Howth piers in the last couple of days although i heard a whisper that a few were caught off Dun laoghaire

Also going to try Spinning for Bass on Monday at my "Nearby Location":D

i will find it even if i have to follow u haha :cool: !!!! i love seabass!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Fished Rathmullan yesterday, 18 but all joeys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

12 for an hour at islands in Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mick44

Dunmore East Pier.
    3 hours and one 1 caught (good size though). I suppose its a start. Anybody know if any have been caught in Cobh as i was thinking of heading towards Cork next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FionnBarr

Had three on the line in Greystones, and line snapped as I was pulling them in :mad: Rather uneventful other than 2 sandeels

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

is it still a bit early for the macs i was told august they'll be proper in around the piers and rocks? anyone tried dunlaoighre yet or bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mick44 wrote: »
    Dunmore East Pier.
    3 hours and one 1 caught (good size though). I suppose its a start. Anybody know if any have been caught in Cobh as i was thinking of heading towards Cork next weekend

Very quiet in Cobh at the moment but the weather is supposed to get good again for the weekend so would be worth a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mackerelyum

last week off boatstrand waterford came up trumps 40 macks between two of us for a half hours fishing bout an hour after the tide went out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

last week off boatstrand waterford came up trumps 40 macks between two of us for a half hours fishing bout an hour after the tide went out
    40? half hour? thats some good fishing say your arm was sore 6 macks on one line does hurt if you hook in every cast i miss them days

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

DoneDL wrote: »
    Fished Rathmullan yesterday, 18 but all joeys?

im headin up there next week for a few days. hopin to get out for a couple of hours. wheres good to get them with easy access too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lenny curtin

there in now in galway down in salthill ,dont know about the peir .was down there today and lots of lines getting caught in the rocks so if i was you go the peir

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

was in slade co. wexford last night for an hour 30-40 fishing saw no macks anyone else being down there other nights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I had about a dozen last night off the rocks to the west of Cork harbour. Either 100yrd out or 15yds, from 6oz to 1 3/4lb's a real mixed bag but at least there are some to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

I caught 12 in about an hour off the rocks in Bantry Bay all good size. Its still very quiet for this time of year, they are coming in later every year.:::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any idea what fenit pier in kerry is like at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

A man on a punt in Donegal bay got a shock out fishing mackerel last week when the s.f.p.a landed beside him in a rib, he had a quarter of a box of mackerel and they made him dump them as he had no licence, they allowed him to keep the limit with no licence which is six fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

rushnaldo wrote: »
    A man on a punt in Donegal bay got a shock out fishing mackerel last week when the s.f.p.a landed beside him in a rib, he had a quarter of a box of mackerel and they made him dump them as he had no licence, they allowed him to keep the limit with no licence which is six fish

License for Mackerel ? Was he commerical or just some guy out fishing for himself, you hear plenty reports of people on small boats catching a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

im heading down to clogherhead next week and was wondering if there were any reports of macks being in between mornington and the pier in clogherhead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Fished Rathmullen last night, loads of people fishing but I didnt see one mack landed. Must people were using feathers, i had a flatfish rig with mackeral on the hook. got a bite on every drop from mackeral, but only hooked one...which fell off the hook when swinging him in :rolleyes: going back tonight with smaller hooks!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Yeah you need a licence and tonnage and your boat registered to fish mackerel these days, only allowed to catch enough for a feed without it. The guy caught had no registration on his boat and was over the limit. I think the quoata for mackerel caught by inshore boat men in summer months is something around 400 tonnes for the whole of Ireland annually

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brg

Im new to fishing, would I be wasting my time in the rain or overcast weather? Was planning on heading off for a few hours today but the weather aint great. (Mackerel and Pollock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone know or can give thoughts on if the Mackeral will still be about around August 15th, with the inappropriate high tides and busy schedule, won't be able to get out til then.

Advertisement