Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

August should be perfect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

was in slade again last night tides wrong but was bored no macks 4 pollack will head back down next weekend tides should be right again for evening/night fishing some terrible freak waves there last night(and i would be used to fishing the place)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

stretchaq wrote: »
    was in slade again last night tides wrong but was bored no macks 4 pollack will head back down next weekend tides should be right again for evening/night fishing some terrible freak waves there last night(and i would be used to fishing the place)

Hi,

Just a word of warning to yourself and anyone else doing a bit of night fishing around the west coast during the next couple of weeks - I heard from an old timer that the second and third week of august are going to be the most dangerous times to be fishing the coast this summer,

He reckons there will be plenty of them freak waves and rips you spoke of and trying to keep an eye on them in daylight is hard enough especially if you happen to be fighting a good fish at the time it comes… its going to be much harder to keep safe in the dark so try to bring a couple of mates along “Just in case”

This old chap said I should listen to the news around the coast at this time of year and I would hear of boats going missing and people being took out to see… within 4 days of him telling me all this I heard about a father who lost hold of his daughter and the poor soul lost her battle with the sea “may she rest in peace”

After hearing about the girl I looked up the sea forecast for this week and found its going to reach force 6 to 7 in parts of the west coast… some days start off fine but then the surf builds up and this is when people get caught out,

I went down and took my boat out of the Bay to stop me being tempted to take it out around the coast, I’m the type of bloke that enjoys a bit of rough while out but after hearing what this guy had to say about people being caught off guard while out and then hearing about that poor girl I just don’t want to tempt fate,

Just be careful and keep an eye out to sea while you fish off them rocks over the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

brg wrote: »
    Im new to fishing, would I be wasting my time in the rain or overcast weather? Was planning on heading off for a few hours today but the weather aint great. (Mackerel and Pollock)

Very heavy downpours over a few days will stop some fish travelling as far as they normally would up an estuary because of the amount of fresh water “rain” pouring down from around the country but it will have no effect on the mackerel around the wide mouth of some estuaries and will positively have no effect around the coast - I think the fish like to be wet ;)

The only thing that seems to have a bad effect on fishing is the east wind, when fishing in rivers for troth and course fish the rain and cloud cover actually has a good effect… I always seem to catch more in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Anyone fishing Castle Point near Kilkee, Co. Clare for them?

Was down there over the bank holiday weekend, fished an hour and a half and caught none, brother had four beside me. Same story for other anglers around me. Was the same deal at Bridges of Ross down here, unusually poor.

Never seen it so quiet this time of year, but did manage to get about 18 in 45 minutes from Carrigaholt Pier, Co. Clare at high tide, so I didn't feel like a complete failure.

Going to go down again in a few weeks and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 brg

mann wrote: »
    Very heavy downpours over a few days will stop some fish travelling as far as they normally would up an estuary because of the amount of fresh water “rain” pouring down from around the country but it will have no effect on the mackerel around the wide mouth of some estuaries and will positively have no effect around the coast - I think the fish like to be wet ;)

The only thing that seems to have a bad effect on fishing is the east wind, when fishing in rivers for troth and course fish the rain and cloud cover actually has a good effect… I always seem to catch more in the rain

Thanks mann

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

plenty in barna this evening had 20 in a hour at low tide they were driving sprats on to the rocks. had 7 nice pollack best of 3-3.5 lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    plenty in barna this evening had 20 in a hour at low tide they were driving sprats on to the rocks. had 7 nice pollack best of 3-3.5 lbs

So low tide can be a good time to fish for them as well? I thought high tide was supposed to be the best time to get em.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

chasmcb wrote: »
    So low tide can be a good time to fish for them as well? I thought high tide was supposed to be the best time to get em.

well it was pot luck that they were feeding on a shoal of sprats near the rocks and i happened to be there with a rod!! i mostly fish a hour either side of high tide when it suits but i find the evening time the best for pollack

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

anybody know if there is much around galway bay (salthill) yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    anybody know if there is much around galway bay (salthill) yet?

Was down at Nimmo's Pier for about an hour today, didn't see one mackerel caught. Went down a few days last week as well and there wasn't much being landed at all.

Finally caught 2 Mackeral last night in Crosshaven and 3 tonight in Ballycotton after weeks of catching nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

brg wrote: »
    Finally caught 2 Mackeral last night in Crosshaven and 3 tonight in Ballycotton after weeks of catching nothing!

Was ballycotton busy last night ? Tried Cobh for an hour but seemed to be very little caught by the train station.

syboit wrote: »
    Was ballycotton busy last night ? Tried Cobh for an hour but seemed to be very little caught by the train station.

Was busy enough alright, fair few being caught, I'd head down myself tonight only I'm busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was in howth on wednesday for a walk, checked out balscadden, was about 7pm and there was about 10-15 romanians fishing.

seen 3 fishes being landed in the 20 mins i was watchin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Socodu

I was out at Killiney head/Coliermore Harbour yesterday evening, lots fishing, but I don't think much was caught. Heard that on previous night a shoal of mackerel were in between Dalkey Island and Killiney head.

As one know more of activity in Dublin Bay these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Was out boat fishing in Dunmore East co Waterford, to say it was poor would be an understatement 35 in 3 hours. Don't mention the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

We were out in the boat today around Bray head and Greystones. There was any amount of them out there. We filled our two cooler boxes in no time.

Hi Fred Funk, could I ask what were the seas condition like today, any swells??, if so what size??.
    As for the mackerel size??.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I hear there are a lot of Macks in Cobh, Cork. I fished a west cork mark last night for big Pollack and bloody typically the spot was full of Macks. Ended up with about 30 but you could have got any number you wanted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

stylie wrote: »
    I hear there are a lot of Macks in Cobh, Cork. I fished a west cork mark last night for big Pollack and bloody typically the spot was full of Macks. Ended up with about 30 but you could have got any number you wanted

Fancy sharing that mark with me? :D

I've been out a good few times over the past few weeks and haven't had as much as a nibble

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Its between Timoleague and Clonakilty, so only about 10km of road or 100km of coastline.

I think if you look for rocky deep water marks in that area you will pick up Macks, I was catching a lot at distance 100yds and they were taking it on the drop.

Also look out for a red tide, from the cliff tops half way between me and the gas rigs(location hint) I could see what looked like an algae bloom a few hundred square meters across.

Ballycotton has been good the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

moan 77 wrote: »
    Hi Fred Funk, could I ask what were the seas condition like today, any swells??, if so what size??.
    As for the mackerel size??.

The sea was nearly flat calm. The mackerel were the biggest I have seen in years. I've eaten five since last night, lovely. We're going back out in Wednesday for Tope and I hope the sea will be like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

just spent a week fishing clogherhead..
    caught 2 mackerel in 7 days...and nobody else seemed to be catching anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

syboit wrote: »
    License for Mackerel ? Was he commerical or just some guy out fishing for himself, you hear plenty reports of people on small boats catching a lot more than that.

Sure do, no point in mentioning fishing spots now if we're going to be raided but only yesterday I enjoyed the fruits of my son's boss's fishing trip ~ we got more than six mackerel and he had shared them out with his own family and friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

i caught a good sized one from kerry head, another man caught 4 or 5 .. no others though. except in a local harbout type place a share weer caugfht of a small boat.. very far out though... mackerel seems to be very bad this year ... apparently a good share came in fenit recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

just finished me supper there 8 mackerel fillets absolute gorgeous 120 or so between 3 of us caught yesterday out at the islands on the boat beside bullock harbour great mackerel at the moment kept plenty to keep me going for weeks and some joeys for pike fishing :D

just finished me supper there 8 mackerel fillets absolute gorgeous 120 or so between 3 of us caught yesterday out at the islands on the boat beside bullock harbour great mackerel at the moment kept plenty to keep me going for weeks and some joeys for pike fishing :D
    What's a "Joeys"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

moan 77 wrote: »
    What's a "Joeys"

small mackerel

Advertisement