Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Three mackerel and a pollack off the rocks by the pier in Rosscarbery. Made up for a day of poor bass fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

FTA69 wrote: »
    Three mackerel and a pollack off the rocks by the pier in Rosscarbery. Made up for a day of poor bass fishing.

Apparently all the bass were hiding around Dunmore yesterday evening :D

No bass but i did get 2 small mackerel & 2 nice sized pollack out around Dunworly

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    just spent a week fishing clogherhead..
    caught 2 mackerel in 7 days...and nobody else seemed to be catching anything at all.

Ah thats not good!
    I'am, well not anymore, a clogher local and the mackerel fishing from the pier and the head has been on a big decrease since about 2008.
    If you get out to sea on a boat you are sorted, catching right up to the end of October last year and only a littlle way out too.
    I had more luck fishing the strands for flatties and bass last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

fallowbuck wrote: »
    First mackeral this morn 6th/May, weather windy sea bit choppy, But this spot has produced mackeral even earlier the last few years, off the rocks mine head dungarvan co waterford. Two pollack also.......... fish pie for sunday dinner:D

any sign of the mack in tramore heading there 20th of sep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Elbow wrote: »
    Apparently all the bass were hiding around Dunmore yesterday evening :D

No bass but i did get 2 small mackerel & 2 nice sized pollack out around Dunworly

F*cking bass. The guy next to me caught one around a foot long and let it go immediately. He was attaching live sandeel to a weight and letting it drift down the channel as the tied was coming in the beach; great tactic. Must try it the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I've the rod in the van so i'm gonna head over to Dunmore after work for a look, hopefully there's a bit of action again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ocireland

hi.
    anyone having luck with mackerel in the galway area yet this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

ocireland wrote: »
    hi.
    anyone having luck with mackerel in the galway area yet this year???

Was in Salthill for nearly an hour today, didn't see a single one landed, and there were about 15/16 fellas fishing there.

Was away last week but I tried Nimmo's Pier for 3/4 days each of the 2 weeks previous and caught nothing, and saw little enough being landed by anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

caught 3 one day last week and 1 today. saw someone catch 2 on the 1 cast
    some squid being caught around the rocks aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I got one off a peer near Oranmore yesterday , been out there about 2/3 times a week for last three week and that was the first one I caught, load of other people not catching anything either. One guy came in off a boat saying he had been out in the bay for 2 hours and only caught 20, this year has been the worst for mackerel fishing in ages.

Was thinkin of headin down to the cliffs between Ballyvaugan and Black Head at the weekend to see if its any better, has anyone had much luck around there lately and if so, which marks ?

• Advertisement

hopefully it wont be too long more when the macks come in down in tramore didnt have a good mack season last year

good few on the rocks in salthill 2day a shoal came in i got 4 my friend got 8 and a guy beside us got more than 10. its startin to get a bit better now hopefully 2moro wen its dark at high tide it will be good

its only gettin better in galway for 2 hours tonight got 56 between 3
    delighted :)

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    its only gettin better in galway for 2 hours tonight got 56 between 3
    delighted :)

where abouts where ya? salthill or nemos peer ? didn't get out last night myself

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

lookinbusy wrote: »
    where abouts where ya? salthill or nemos peer ? didn't get out last night myself

I was down at Nimmo's Pier for a while last night and there were plenty being caught there

chasmcb wrote: »
    I was down at Nimmo's Pier for a while last night and there were plenty being caught there

sound thanks! that's were I'm heading then.

i was fishin of the rocks across from coco cafe and nearly every cast i had 3 or 4 on the line

another great night again got 33 for myself filled up the bucket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

i was fishin of the rocks across from coco cafe and nearly every cast i had 3 or 4 on the line

where is that exactly

where is that exactly

where there is kinda a pier the rocks strech out into the bay
    caught 20 there this mornin and 40 just know
    there definetly in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any hot spots around kerry at the moment?

where there is kinda a pier the rocks strech out into the bay
    caught 20 there this mornin and 40 just know
    there definetly in

so it's not neimos it's the other side

rite salthill gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

Any ideas where to go in Dublin? Between the South Wall and Dalkey? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

waldo wrote: »
    Any ideas where to go in Dublin? Between the South Wall and Dalkey? Thanks.
    Dalkey is a good spot. Just opposite Dalkey island off the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 timconny

Hi guys,

I'm going Mackerel fishing in Kilmore Quay tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's been much success there so far this year? If so, where would be the best spot exactly?

I'd also like your opinions on a general question i have about bait. Last week i was fishing off the pier in Cobh and had little success with the traditional methods (i.e. feathers, hokkai etc). I was amazed to see a guy hauling them in while using a weighted rig of black and red jellyworm tipped with mackerel flesh! I mean he was cleaning up using this method while nobody else was catching anything! Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
    Tim Connaughton.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Caught 25 in Dunmore East today at high tide. Was using small blue and white feathers with a flash of silver. They worked a treat!

dermo909 wrote: »
    Caught 25 in Dunmore East today at high tide. Was using small blue and white feathers with a flash of silver. They worked a treat!

i caught 22 on 20 sept down in tramore in real high winds

was in spiddal pier last tuesday between 2 of us we caught 70 mackerel feckin big ones also was there last night caught 12 small ones,so they are still there or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

anyone tell me how Clogherhead fished this year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

is anyone catching mackeral around galway city anywhere this time of year or is it to late
    wouldnt no to much about it to be honest been way in from the coast lol

Advertisement