Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

• 03-04-2011 5:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Might be moving to Limerick so looking for advice. Young couple Married with 2 kids so any advice, suggestions or recommendations about anything any way relevant to someone who knows nothing of Limerick would be very appreciated. Main areas of interest would be secondary schools, nice areas to get house, scout troops, soccer clubs for kids but any other comments welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Look at the Clareview and ennis road area. Secondary schools check out Ardscoil Ris and Salesians or Villiers. Local football clubs shelbourne, caherdavin celtic and coonagh. Close to the city, near Thomond park and the Gaelic grounds, close to Dunnes Stores and Tesco. Few parks and LIT.
    I would live there if I didnt already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Are you buying or renting a house? A lot of the more established areas won't have rentals suited to families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi i posted a similar tread and got these responses hope it helps: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71434288

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

+1 for Clareview, walking distance to city centre, older established area, very quiet at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As I am getting lazier by the day, I have just copy and pasted the reply I gave to Tony on pretty much the same subject the other day and just changed the main body of text slightly.

My own preference, if I was in your situation, would be the Dooradoyle side of town (I already live on that side, but am possibly looking to move away, based on employment and a familiar feeling of wanderlust) as you have pretty every amenity close by and in terms of shops it has a better range than the city centre and you also have things like pubs, takeaways, cinema, churches, and the motorway/link road nearby.

There are a number of sporting clubs in the area, and you would only be a short distance from clubs in nearby areas like Young Munster, Old Crescent, Summerville Rovers etc.

There are a number of health clubs and gyms in the area and the Catholic Institude is nearby as well if you have an interest in hockey/squash/Tennis.

A hell of a lot of the city centre shuts early, so at least with a shopping centre nearby, which is the largest of all those in the city or county, you have late closing a few days of the week, and a supermarket that is open 24 hours.

Daft.ie is quite handy for checking out prices and for seeing what is available in different areas.

If you and/or your wife drive, then your options would increase as you could look into renting in one of the towns outside of Limerick where you may get a better deal on rent in terms of the property you get, and still manage to keep amenities close by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

im in annacotty and love it, got a great secondary school, near university, easy access to all sides of city, a public park with playground and skate park, excellent shops restaurants and bars near by. Fantastic estate with a good family spirit all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    im in annacotty and love it, got a great secondary school, near university, easy access to all sides of city, a public park with playground and skate park, excellent shops restaurants and bars near by. Fantastic estate with a good family spirit all about.

I live on the Northside (yo) but if I didn't live here I'd be looking at Castletroy/Annacotty. That being said, i can see merits to Corbally/Westside (yo) too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'm on South Circular Road, it's an older area of town, very settled a lot of older people mixed with Mary I students, (not the rowdiest of students). A lot of older houses and some nice modern (small) housing estates. It's a 15 minute walk to town. A 10 minute walk to the Crescent Shopping centre, there's bars, shops and restaurants around the area. Dock Road is very nearby which will get you into town or out to the Motorway/dual carriageway for easy access to Castletroy, Annacotty, Castleconnell, Parkway area, Ballysimon. Also good for access to Shannon Airport. 5 minute drive to the train station, and Regional Hospital.

Since the new road was completed the area which was pretty central, has been made even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What's the rent out like that side of town?Currently on the Ennis Road and makes no sense anymore as I work in Castletroy and the girlfriend's job is moving towards that side of town aswell.The fact we got broken into within a month of moving into this gaf has kind of ruined the place for us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

+1 on Dooradoyle - it's very handy having the 24 hour tesco and there are some nice enough walks around the area as well. The bus route into town is very good as well. I suppose it depends where you will be working within Limerick as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

What's the rent out like that side of town?Currently on the Ennis Road and makes no sense anymore as I work in Castletroy and the girlfriend's job is moving towards that side of town aswell.The fact we got broken into within a month of moving into this gaf has kind of ruined the place for us. :(

Ah thats crap, did they take much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

friends are currently renting a 3 bed semi for about 750 a month I believe, it varies a lot around here though.

I own so cant tell ya for certain on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

kilburn wrote: »
    Ah thats crap, did they take much?

2 laptops,ipod,phone,car keys,house keys,load of other gadgets.

They got caught within a few hours and I eventually got all my stuff back after Mayorstone had it for a few weeks.

I'm paying €630 for a 3 bed in Brú na Gruadán. Nice and warm no real noise or any normal student crap. The living room is set up as a bedroom too cos we don't have a fireplace, but one of the girls at work is renting a 5 bed a few houses up for €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

second that, living in dooradoyle aswell myself... both nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭spindizzy

Any thoughts on the westbury/shannon banks/corbally areas? Also any info in the cbs in sexton street or St Munchins College would be great as well. PM if you feel post might be considered offensive although thats not what I'm looking to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I'm living in Corbally and love it, the biggest downside that i know of for Westbury is the traffic coming in the main rd i'm living near Grove island which mean's i can avoid it. St Munchins is a good boys school as is the CBS to my knowledge i dont have kids but my nephews went to Munchins & had no probs there far as i know.

There is a small tescos out in Westbury & Grove Island in at St Mary's side. You have St Mary's for rugby, I no there is a pitch out in Westbury that the use for hurling (i think).

Hope this helps & if you need more info you can pm if you want or post.

spindizzy wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the westbury/shannon banks/corbally areas? Also any info in the cbs in sexton street or St Munchins College would be great as well. PM if you feel post might be considered offensive although thats not what I'm looking to do

I have a few friends that moved away from Westbury because the traffic is disastrous at peak times.

Munchins and CBS are grand schools, but where you send your sons should probably depend on whether they're academic, artistic or practical and what sports they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Lad's what think ye of Russell Court in Ballykeeffe or down around Church road in Raheen? They are a few different apartment blocks there and I was thinking of moving there. Im just near the Crescent at the moment and maybe looking for somewhere a bit qieter and more settled.

Thanks!

Right so, thanks for all the info on Limerick. Looking at an area in Fairyfield, Parteen, Co. Clare, I know its not Limerick but its not that far out so if anyone has any info on that area would be great.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Parteen is nice the only prob that i no of with it is there is no shop in the village, the nearest one is the petrol station @ Clancys cross which is bout a mile from Brown's pub.

Oh & you have to get thru the corbally traffic in the morning if ur going into town to work.

I do think its a lovely village tho

Parteen is the principle target of the Thomond Liberation Front, a group of committed Thomonders who want to overthrow the English boundary demarkations that still oppress up to 400,000 Thomonders and to unite and resurrect the ancient land of Thomond. How much longer will the oppression continue?

It's on the frontline Spindizzy, be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

kiersm wrote: »
    Parteen is nice the only prob that i no of with it is there is no shop in the village, the nearest one is the petrol station @ Clancys cross which is bout a mile from Brown's pub.

Oh & you have to get thru the corbally traffic in the morning if ur going into town to work.

I do think its a lovely village tho

Could always take the longpavement, no?

Depends where you work I suppose but you could just be trading one tailback for another.

That's true but wud presume that road wud be busy as well cos of all of the students etc

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Right so, thanks for all the info on Limerick. Looking at an area in Fairyfield, Parteen, Co. Clare, I know its not Limerick but its not that far out so if anyone has any info on that area would be great.

Thanks

Lovely spot, you can't go far wrong here. About 15 - 20min drive to city centre in morning via longpavement so no traffic issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Thanks

Grew up there chasin cows and donkeys!!!

Parteen is the principle target of the Thomond Liberation Front, a group of committed Thomonders who want to overthrow the English boundary demarkations that still oppress up to 400,000 Thomonders and to unite and resurrect the ancient land of Thomond. How much longer will the oppression continue?

It's on the frontline Spindizzy, be careful!

:confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, Parteen is just over the border from Limerick, big issue/concern among the locals is whether any boundary extension will move that area into Limerick county or not.

As someone who thinks we'd be better off combining Limerick and Clare I was just making a bad (as in unfunny) joke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

+1 on Dooradoyle - it's very handy having the 24 hour tesco and there are some nice enough walks around the area as well. The bus route into town is very good as well. I suppose it depends where you will be working within Limerick as well.

+1

Advertisement