Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of homework

• 03-04-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Is it just me or is everyone sick of getting homework and being told to study on top of it? I find is so irritating when you get in trouble if you dont do it. I was told my my home ec teacher that we were going to be given a test on monday because we wouldnt need all weekend for our orals :eek: I am strsnge in saying that this is ridiculous?? I just feel so frustated about this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you need the time for oral practice just don't do the home ec homework. The worst that will happen is that you'll get a note or something. I'd much rather get a note than do poorly in my oral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Lexii307 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is everyone sick of getting homework and being told to study on top of it? I find is so irritating when you get in trouble if you dont do it. I was told my my home ec teacher that we were going to be given a test on Monday because we wouldn't need all weekend for our orals :eek: I am strange in saying that this is ridiculous?? I just feel so frustrated about this!!!

The oral is part of the Leaving Cert. The home-ec exam isn't. So what if you fail it... It won't represent your ability because you wouldn't have studied. I'd have a quick chat with your year head or whoever on Monday as well.. That sort of shít is unacceptable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The oral is part of the Leaving Cert. The home-ec exam isn't. So what if you fail it... It won't represent your ability because you wouldn't have studied. I'd have a quick chat with your year head or whoever on Monday as well.. That sort of shít is unacceptable!

The year head will laugh at them if they make a complaint about a teacher giving homework.

The home ec teacher has a course to cover too. If I was to leave my students away without doing homework every time they told me they had a project on/orals/coursework to be submitted/tests in other subjects, nothing would ever get done.

Time for LC students to start taking some responsibility for themselves and stop blaming the home ec teacher for doing her job. If you've left it until now to study for your orals, you probably haven't started in time. If you can't spare 30-45 minutes to do your home economics homework, who are you trying to fool?

The year head will laugh at them if they make a complaint about a teacher giving homework.

The home ec teacher has a course to cover too. If I was to leave my students away without doing homework every time they told me they had a project on/orals/coursework to be submitted/tests in other subjects, nothing would ever get done.

Time for LC students to start taking some responsibility for themselves and stop blaming the home ec teacher for doing her job. If you've left it until now to study for your orals, you probably haven't started in time. If you can't spare 30-45 minutes to do your home economics homework, who are you trying to fool?

The OP actually said they're having a test on Monday because according to their teacher they won't be studying for the orals all weekend. Giving homework is fine but giving a test on the Monday the orals start is a joke.

The OP actually said they're having a test on Monday because according to their teacher they won't be studying for the orals all weekend. Giving homework is fine but giving a test on the Monday the orals start is a joke.

It's the same difference really. The OP should be able to manage their subjects effectively at this stage and if not they should put together some sort of study plan. My LCs have orals this week too and not one of them has whinged about it despite having to get their ag science projects done this week. None of them whinged about the work I set for the weekend either.

The OP won't spend all day in the oral either. They'll spend 15 minutes in there and in most schools will be in their classes for most of the day too.

• Advertisement

It's the same difference really. The OP should be able to manage their subjects effectively at this stage and if not they should put together some sort of study plan. My LCs have orals this week too and not one of them has whinged about it despite having to get their ag science projects done this week. None of them whinged about the work I set for the weekend either.

The OP won't spend all day in the oral either. They'll spend 15 minutes in there and in most schools will be in their classes for most of the day too.

I accept where you're coming from but at the same time, the oral is 25% of their final grade. The home-ec test has no bearing on their result. Would be much fairer and considerate to schedule the test for the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

As far as I remember we had the same sort of thing last year. If you genuinely don't have time for it - then just don't study for it. It's only a class test so it won't count for anything and your orals are more important.

But you could probably squeeze in an hour of Home Ec over the weekend if you really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

Oh so glad you are not my teacher.

They may not whine in front of you, but I can guarantee they're complaining left, right and center outside of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It sounds like you need to organise your time better. You can easily prepare for both. I've got portfolios and projects, left right and center on top of homework, but I still have time to get the oral sorted. It's all about time management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Regardless of what you get in your Home-Ec test your parents will understand that your main priority lay with your oral. Guys let's all try and remember that the OP is going through some of the toughest exams on their lifes. I think you need to cut them a break rainbowtrout.. I truly can't stand teachers who load on the work in their subject and never think about how the students may be doing 5/6 other subjects too..

Back to the question at hand however, Just prioritise.. Your Home-Ec test will account for NOTHING, your Oral 25% and a potential place in your dream course, it seems to me that your Home-Ec teacher is simply full of their own self-importance. It's your LC after all not theirs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Guys let's all try and remember that the OP is going through some of the toughest exams on their lifes.
    So are we all. I'm doing 9 subjects, all at Higher Level (bar LCVP). I'm managing 3 projects at the moment, as well as homework and stuff for other people in the class who asked me to help them. I've got my orals, my music practicals, and my bench tests coming up. Everyone can push themselves more given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Oral should definitely be prioritised. I've been practising for the orals since the start of the year but I still felt I should use the whole weekend to study for it so I didn't do some of my homework.

I feel like the teachers are giving us out too much homework at the moment in my school. I'm getting so much homework at the moment that I barely get any study done every evening.

Dannnnn wrote: »
    Oh so glad you are not my teacher.

They may not whine in front of you, but I can guarantee they're complaining left, right and center outside of class.

Really? You don't know my students. They would whine to my face if they wanted to. They don't whine about the work I give inside or outside the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

I have to agree with Rainbowtrout. I'm a french teacher and would not let students off with homework this weekend because they have irish orals this week. Other subjects cannot suffer just because they have one exam this week. I have a year plan which I must stick to in order to get them the best possible grade in their french exam.

However, I have made a deal with them....I will allow them to study irish this wed and thurs in French class....I don't think its fair to do french with students when their whole world is Irish. But in return for that, they have to submit a certain amount of french work in advance. I don't want their irish orals to have a bad effect on their french.

Its important for students to realise that teachers have a job to do, regardless of subject but I also think teachers have to take account of things like orals/projects/practicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Just to clear things up a bit. Home Ec is one of my best subjects along with English so its not like i dont do the work! I get As and Bs all the time. I also HAVE studied for my oral geting 73% in my mock oral but i want to do better so i can guarentee my course. Im not complaining about the amont of work. Im complaining about the total ignorance to the fact that you NEED time to study for orals and claiming that you wont spend all weekend is ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think its very unfair when teachers lay on a tonne of homework taking no account of the fact that maybe you have other subjects. Its just one weekend of homework they had to let you off for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Most teachers in my place now have adopted a bit of a laissez-faire approach "do the homework, but if you can't, 'tis grand." Of course some people take advantage of it and do feck all for the orals AND don't do the homework, but they're the sort that'd be copying the homework in the morning anyway if they had to do it...

Think in the week running up to homework it'd be a bit harsh giving 30 minutes worth of homework, if you got that in 6 subjects, you'd have 3 hours to do. And it's not just lazy students who need to cram, there's also dilligent students who'd rather just completely focus on the orals until they're over.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

our teachers are still giving us homework and my effing business teacher decided oh i'll give yas a business test this week on 7 chapters, cheers as if i'm not screwed enough for french already

Advertisement